November 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2018.

?

So what is your "NO" plan for this NOVember?

1. No Variation. Gonna RULE like a BOSS!!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. No Repeat. Gonna run through gear like it's my last month to ever shave!

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. No Plan. Gonna wing it big time. Just do what seems right!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. No shaves for me. Gonna be heretical and follow the rest of the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No clue. Seriously. I don't know, and won't know until it happens.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. I'm just excited to have Donuts!!!!! Yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  7. I'm just going to say NO to anything you ask. NO! NO, I say!

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great picture, Perry! Enjoy the day with the family.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PLAla, clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

NOvember 12th
    GEM Jr
    Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost SS
    Omega ‘49/Walnut
    Thayers
    Stirling Autumn Glory AS
    3FC8D407-ABFE-4474-96A5-975A9233CA70.jpeg
    A day off work today for the Remembrance Day stat. Thought I would have a nice, leisurely shave this morning but that isn’t how it worked out. Next up on the No repeat rotation is this GEM with Jack Frost (right on time for Menthol Monday) and the Autumn Glory sample. Right after loading the brush, had to race out of the bathroom as my son had spilled something. Came back 15 minutes later and re-ran the water. The lather was decent, actually, considering it sat on the brush for 15 minutes. Put the GEM to the face and yowzers...how did I not change this blade after last time? Another break to dig out a new blade after the first pass. Did one more pass and decided to quit while I was behind. Between the gap from shower to shave, to the dull blade, to the 2nd break, I was quite irritated after 2 passes. Who knows why. The AS is really unique, and is a good pairing for this soap I think. There’s that, I guess.
    The good news is that I get to try again tomorrow. I’ll try to catch up on your (hopefully!) better shaves on the thread.
    Have a great day all!

Keithmax, Paul76, mrchick and 12 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Beautiful picture, Jason. Love the brush. I'm sure tomorrow's shave will be better.

4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Not trying to enable anyone, but there are a few of these on the bay right now.
    Great combo! Yup, love the Nacets.
    Happy Menthol Monday, Jim!
    +1 on the L’Orange Noir enabling, Randy. It took me a bit to get into the scent, and now it is a fave.
    Installing a blade backwards? Ok, THAT I have not done. Great pic, though!
    Very cool, John. If you don’t get an answer to your query, I’d suggest taking a photo of just the emblem on the case and doing an image search through Google. You might find it somewhere else that has the information you are looking for.
    Happy Menthol Monday, part deux! Enjoy your day off, Perry.

Keithmax, FaceScraper, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great black and white photo, Perry!

PLAla, clint64 and jluc like this.
  6. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

How many full shaves did you get out of the blade in the end? Have you considered the Schick Prolines as an alternative to Feather?

PLAla, clint64, Screwtape and 2 others like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

As per our earlier discussion here on getting more Mutton Tallow soaps from Stirling, Rod has spoken. They will be expanding the mutton line with more scents, though as was mentioned here as well, not every scent will work with mutton. Apparently even unscented mutton tallow still has, in Rod's words, "a distinct musky scent". I can attest to that because the does perfectly describe the odor of Stirling Sheep. Apparently they are considering moving a couple of scents to the mutton base but no final decisions have been made. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what ends up going mutton. Long live the sheep!

Stupid Sheep.jpg

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Jason.
    The Vector is my only Artist Club razor. I don't know if other AC razors are set up the same, but the blade will drop right on over the posts either way. Live and learn.

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm still using the same blade. The reason I took it out was to clean the razor up for my SOTD picture.
    And yes, I have considered the Schick Prolines, not because I have any issues with the Feathers but just to try them. Next up will be a Feather Super.

Paul76, FaceScraper, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Good news, Neal. I'm glad Rod responded better than the Soup Nazi.
    1.jpg

11. Norcalnewb

Terrific picture, Jason!

12. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason!

13. Norcalnewb

Maybe we should salute those about to die?

Paul76, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Jim, I easily get 7 shaves from an AC Pro or Super Pro blade in my Mongoose. As I recall, @clint64 has gotten more than 7 shaves from an AC blade. I think you'll really like the Super Pro blades in the Vector.

I don't remember loading an AC blade backwards in the Mongoose; however, one time a I loaded a blade sort of wonky. The uneven blade exposure caused me to draw some blood. I've also tried to shave a time or two without a blade in the razor! +1 on wearing your reading glasses during blade changes. :)

Paul76, FaceScraper, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The blade still felt sharp and smooth this morning once oriented properly. I'm curious to see how many shaves I get from it.

Paul76, PLAla, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

No shave for me this morning. We rolled out of bed and went straight to the job site for the electrical walk through. I hope we didn't miss anything...
    1.jpg
    ...because I'm not the best at electrical DIY.
    2.jpg 3.jpg

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

The stock handle is quite heavy and larger than any other I've seen short of that baton handled GEM. The cap and baseplate give a great shave and as Adam @Drygulch has done the user can swap on a different handle.

Maybe they can play up the muskiness rather than trying to cover it. Piacenza, Mountain Man, & Stirling Gentleman have a musk component.
    goat smell.jpg

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Salute them, bring me their chops and ribs and we'll call it a day.

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  19. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see how many quality shaves you can get from that blade!

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I just placed an order with Williamsport Barber Supply in Pennsylvania-the Williamsport where the Little League World Series is always held. It's for a Stephan Bay Rum(16 oz), and a Stephan Hair Style Gel(also 16 oz). A little high on the shipping, but I hope that means it'll be shipped soon. I'll get details via E-mail, but I already have an order #. This will be my second of their(Stephan's) Bay Rums, and I'll be happy especially to get the hair styling gel. Stephan's focus has been on hair products-I guess they added the aftershaves later on.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Paul76, mrchick, FaceScraper and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.