November 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Oct 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave Joe..:cool:

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

good day everyone.
    i will be doing a focus using various gillette tech razors and hard soaps.i say various because there were various different designs produced between 1938 and 1985,thought traditionally they are a 3 piece razor with a top cap,base plate and handle.there were some interesting design changes as they progressed over the years and including different countries of manufacture.as a rule the oldest ones were the most aggressive-poor word-and got milder as they got newer.they also got cheaper in quality compared to their more vintage counterparts.sounds like an obsession so far?-it is,and many here have a similar one..;)

my least used soaps are hard soaps as we all get complacent,and creams give a great slick lather in mere seconds.as a cart user for 35+ years i changed up from canned foam in 2006 and started using a basic omega boar brush and williams puck soap.the thin but slick lather was a vast improvement,or so i thought.it lasted longer than a can of goo,at least ,and i benefited by having a better complexion due to the brush exfoliating the skin.in 2016 is started playing around with DE razors,more just to display them in the curio cabinet.:)

and on to today..almost 6 years to the day i have a moderate amount of soaps,creams,brushes and razors..:D..still gillettes of course,with the lowly tech razors being the majority of my collection.in the past i have showcased them in their original/as made stance,this time around i will be using my favorite handles with them.let me explain..some of these razors were head heavy when first sold on the market,not that that matters to most people,as a shave or 2 in one doesn't notice it.i like a well balanced razor,so i prefer heavier handles..just a quirk from my mechanical/dart playing past.;)

enough prattling..
    the shave

1948 brit fb tech/ball end handle
    platinum
    omega 10050 boar
    arko pressed into a bowl
    duru limon cologne

20211101_101000_edited.jpg

fabulously smooth 2 pass shave in my usual way
    n/s, s/n,with a touch of combined buffing during the passes in various directions.
    very smooth and efficient as a daily shaver.
    these razors have a narrow sweet spot that comes with day to day use,ie muscle memory.
    i like the heavier ball end handle from a newer 1950s tech.
    techs also benefit from using a sharper blade,giving a bit more feel.
    fine arko lather built with a newer version of my original drug store purchase omega.
    my original got damaged from a "soak in the sink"incident.
    not recommended with wooden handled brushes.
    duru limon cologne to finish

this soap/ cologne set up leaves the face a bit dry
    as older school stuff doesn't moisturize the face.
    a trait more men like to see today,and artisan soap makers like to advertise.

the hardware

20211101_101000_edited1.jpg

hope you enjoyed your shave today
    i loved my basic drugstore shave with products readily available in the not so distant past.
    have a great day everyone..
    :eatdrink047:

3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20211028_163739.jpg 20211101_065016.jpg
    We made it back home yesterday. After a 850 mile drive no one had to tell me to get out of the truck.

We had and amazing but busy time in Pennsylvania. The top picture was taken at Hawns Overlook which overlooks Raystown lake. My wife's grandfather had land and a cottage on the upper end of the lake that was bought by the US Army Corp when the lake was expanded around 1970. My wife has a few memories of those summers when she was little. There is actually a boat launch and parking area where the cottage was..........Weaver Falls Boat Launch. This is a picture taken from the dock at that launch.
    20211030_121954.jpg

I shaved this morning with my kit that went to Pennsylvania.

I really enjoyed the Soap Commander Heritage and the Razorock Gamechanger was a joy to drive. I alternated between the solid bar and Jaws on the Weber bulldog handle. The cologne was Cremo Bourbon and Oak.

If I had a travel tip it would be to take some nice shaving gear and enjoy a great shave while on vacation. It is a great way to start the day.

I appreciate Joe @Trigger taking the reins last month and this month. I hope I can be more involved this month.

Take care everyone!

4. brit

brit in a box

fabulous scenery Danny.glad you had a great time..cool shave gear and pics..:cool:

Paul Turner and Trigger like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Today's shave was similar to yesterday's and not just as I had the same lineup. Somehow that sideburns area cut from yesterday re-appeared, but I noticed this before beginning the shave. I was very careful again in that area, and got it taken care of-for now, I'll say. Did a ghost put that blood back there??? Dunno. 0:40 for the loading, 2 passes. Before the second pass, I gave the puck a few droplets of water(I suppose that would qualify as my "Mr."). I did notice a brighter white color on the soap-ot looked a bit like my "Shaving Cream Soap"(like my Rocky Mtn. brand. Will try that tomorrow, as the brush gave me a cleaner-looking soap). Sadly, my razor-angling and pressure caused another cut-also along N. Porcupine Alley, like yesterday. A Very Excellent again.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I have to say this was your best post, Gary! It was a lot of info. Great shave, too! Enjoy the rest of the day!

brit and JACarbone like this.
  7. Trigger

Great pics of Pennsylvania and and a fine shave setup. Thank you for your support, Danny. I really appreciate it.

brit and JACarbone like this.
  8. Trigger

Great post on your shave, Paul! It is super that you are getting more aware of why you have mishaps and sharing them with us. Thank you for doing so!

Paul Turner, brit and JACarbone like this.
  9. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe

brit and Trigger like this.
  10. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

You’re most welcome and thank you

11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Gary

Trigger and brit like this.
  12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Fabulous focus and shave today Gary.

13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Sorry about the cut but still a nice shave nonetheless Paul.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave and tip regarding your vacation gear. Beautiful pictures of the PA countryside which I am sure brought back some fond memories for the missus. Glad you made it back home safely Danny.

15. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.next one won't be so "wordy";)..will use this razor until the blade fails,maybe with a different handle.want to compare it to a prewar or pot war tech next .:):eatdrink047:

16. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe..:):eatdrink047:.

17. brit

brit in a box

one day at a time Paul..;)

JACarbone, Paul Turner and Trigger like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Right Gary, thanks....doin' it again tomorrow....course Stoylin might be better at "accepting" the droplets.

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Thanks Joe....I think I'm always going to have an "angle" problem, but I can certainly control the pressure persuasion.

20. Paul Turner

You're welcome-I'm sure it will help.

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.