November 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Oct 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Impressive history(your wife's grandfather...did the Army Corps offer a price he "couldn't refuse"?)

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Nov 1. SOTE

Good evening guys!

It is my first shave of the month and the beginning of my 2 week focus of shaves with the Van der Hagen TTO razor.

Van der Hagen TTO razor
    Astra Blue DE Blade (1)
    Stirling Spice SS and AS
    JR # 386 Silvertip Badger
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's Witch hazel
    Beard Growth: 33.75 hrs
    20211101_183811.jpg

I decided to use the VDH razor for a two week focus because I hardly use it. It is not efficient for my use, but I have to see if I can nail it down. I get good shaves with it, but I have to constantly buff to get a good shave. I also picked the Astra Blue DE blade because it is just doesn't last long for me. So, I am a glutton for punishment for picking two shave items that I am not thrilled to use in a shave! Lol!
    However, I counterbalanced it with the Stirling Spice Shave Soap and Aftershave with my favorite brush, the JR #386.

I decided to shave with a more steeper angle to make the razor more efficient. Two passes gave me a near BBS shave, but I paid for the privilege. I got a nice sized Weezer on my lower left neck and there was some irritation. I wasn't surprised because I also added more pressure on the razor. I normally do not do these things when I am using a DE, but a focus is to allow you to experiment with different approaches to get the razor dialed in as we say. Before I forget, I lathered the Stirling with very little volume, but it was still slick enough for the VDH to glide effortlessly. The scent is supposed to bedupe on the original Old Spice (Schulton), but to me it is no where near it. Applied the Alum, and my neck lit up so I was not surprised at all. Applied the Witch hazeland the aftershave to complete this first shave of the month.
    PS. I just upgraded my phone so I am still figuring out how to get the pic right. Obviously, I need to put it on landscape. I got the sizing down. Lol! We did well on the first day of the month. Let us continue to do so for the remainder of the month. Have a great evening guys!

3. brit

brit in a box

cool shave Joe..you'll nail it..:cool:

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  4. Trigger

Thanks, Gary. On the next shave, I will keep the same angle, but lighten the pressure.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave Joe.

brit and Trigger like this.
  6. Trigger

Thanks, Joe!

brit and JACarbone like this.
  7. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I'm a night shaver. Just finished my "original equipment" shave. After weeks of research, I settled on a Merkur 34C, Proraso white, and an Omega 49 boar brush. I do not remember my first blade, probably an Astra SP, but I selected Feather to set myself up for the best experience tonight. After years of generic canned foam, Proraso white was a delightful explosion of Italian deliciousness with a hint of green apple. It is still a nostalgic aroma for me.

As my first razor, I love its aesthetic. I used the 34C a month and was dissatisfied as I always felt like I still needed a shave no matter what I tried. After a month I moved on to a Henson and soon after acquired a Merkur Progress. I really want to love the 34C's performance as much as I admire its looks.
    IMG_20211101_195336192.jpg
    I have acquired an embarrassing number of razors during the last year. I believe poor results are my fault, not the fault of the razor. I wanted to see if a year of experience makes a difference with this razor. When I began last year I tried very hard to adhere to the 30 degree rule. One thing I have determined is that I prefer a razor that favors a steep angle. (Spoiler alert: The Yates 921 is my unicorn). Tonight I realized that the 30 degree angle is too shallow for the 34C. I ended up tonight with a much more efficient shave than previously, but not as close as I can achieve with other razors. I did a standard 3 pass with an emphasis on light/no pressure. As usual, I think I overshaved on a pickup pass with this razor. There was a faint tingling feeling on rinse off, but I was shocked that there was no stinging with the alum block.

Post shave I employed my standard from the beginning generic witch hazel with added tea tree oil, aloe, and glycerine. I was never an after shave user, but a few months ago I got hooked on them. I discovered Proraso green, and boy oh boy, that stuff is make with Italian magic. It was the perfect finish to a nice shave, topped with some plain aloe vera.

brit, JACarbone, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  8. Trigger

Excellent shave and a greatly detailed post, EWK! I have an Omega Pro 49 and it performs well above its price point. I like the Proraso Green and the matching aftershave. It has a clean, crisp scent, but it doesn't last too long. I do not have sensitive skin so the Proraso White would not appeal to me. I like Feather blades and have used them in my DE's and my shavette. I get nice shaves with them, but I can get great results with less expensive blades. Thus hobby promotes all kinds of acquisition syndromes. I own 15 straights, 8 safeties an 2 shavettes as well as 12 brushes and 17 soaps plus 3 brushless creams. My shave den is small compared to other serious wetshavers. I have more than enough tools to keep me interested in wetshaving. Take care!

JACarbone, brit, ewk and 1 other person like this.
  9. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

2nd November 2021.

3.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Nivea Men Power Fresh Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    FatFace Ocean Escape Soap Bar.
    Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget.
    Face Lather.
    Lather: HWF Lanolin Shaving Soap. (no.3)
    Blade: Willy's Premium. ( D1)
    Razor: Parker 98r.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./P&G Old Spice Bearglove ASL Spray./Wilko Men's Moisturiser.

Greetings,

Early morning shave.

First shave into 'November Focus on one razor Month' using the Parker 98r... The heavy weight and long handle of the 98r has taught me to let the razor do most of the work and focus on my technique which results in close acceptable shaves....The willy's premium blade felt rough a little on the first pass today but after that it mellowed out....This is probably down to 'yours truly' getting familiar with this hefty efficient razor again rather than pointing the roughness of the blade.

The HWF Lanolin Shaving Soap. (no.3) with Lavender & May Chang like the other new formula's i added to my humble shaving soap collection earlier this year was a delight to shave with.. The zesty citrus scent from the May Chang is a wonderful addition to the Lanolin Soap recipe.

A Enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of Wilko Men's Moisturiser to brace my mature rhino skin type to the autumn elements.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

JACarbone, brit, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Nice job at today's shave. Another "new" thing I tried was exactly what old friend Kerry asked me if I was out of my mind for doing-a second full swirl into the soap before the second pass. And this was after dousing it a bit. Thus we have 0:40 of swirling before first pass, 0:20 for the second(ahh, all right, not THAT full for the second, but still I gave it some time again). Good job mostly, but for two Knicks-one large, one smaller-at South Porcupine Alley(below lower lip).I do indeed need to go softer. Also, I missed that same area I've missed frequently-jawline, just past the right ear. I didn't notice it until I was between bites of my cereal at breakfast. I decided to kill it off with just the razor and hot water. I succeeded, then went back to breakfast. That would be a bad place for ingrown hairs, I'll tell you that right now(oh, I see I did already, chuk yuk yuk yuk). Good work at Cactus Nation. Pretty Excellent overall. With Stoylin Sandpiper I should do better than that.

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  11. Trigger

Great start to the month Barry! I am looking forward to your shave journey with your Parker 98R this month. Enjoy the rest of your day!

brit, palmolive fox and JACarbone like this.
  12. Trigger

Good shave and post, Paul.

brit, JACarbone and Paul Turner like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Oops, I just added to it after your compliment. Thanks, though. I just said that Stoylin Sandpiper deserves better than "Pretty Excellent".

brit, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave and write of your initial journey of the wet shaving experience.

15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave Paul

16. Paul Turner

Thanks Joe....it's settling into a normal Stoylin shave.

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  17. Trigger

I wasn't a fan of Stirling Sandpiper. Everyone reacts to scents differently.

Paul Turner, JACarbone and brit like this.
  18. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Joe...Have a great start to the week. Yours-Barry.:cool:

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic..i did notice that blade alignment can be fiddley on this razor.mine is like new as i've only used it a few times.definitely a cool looking design.:cool:

Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave Barry..:cool:

Trigger, palmolive fox and JACarbone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.