November 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Oct 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Tonight's November Learning Shave
    Razor: Merkur 34C
    Blade: Feather (with 2 shims)
    Brush: Omega 49 boar
    Soap: Proraso Green cream
    IMG_20211102_195044407.jpg
    For my second shave in this November focus with the 34C, I added two shims. This did increase the efficiency, and I got a satisfactory shave in 3 passes. Not wanting to risk irritation, I did minimal pickups. End result is fine, but not really even DFS. Alum produced no stinging in post shave, so a successful evening. Unfortunately my love for this fine razor is not increasing as I hoped.

Henson razors were making quite a splash in the marketplace a year ago. Amid the hype, I purchased a beautiful blue Al13 mild. The Henson lived up to the hype, and it immediately became my go-to razor for head shaving. After decades of cartridges, the Henson was the first razor to get the back fringe of my head BBS. Tonight's head shave was performed with the excellent Henson (not pictured).

Funny thing about the Proraso green. The delightfully fresh lemon-lime Proraso white was fresh in my mind when I ordered my second cream, the venerable classic Proraso green. My expectations were dashed when I squirted it into my bowl. I thought the stuff must have gone bad. The smell of Desitin diaper cream was all I could smell, and it seemed so dull compared to the white. I eventually grew to love it, and as you can see, this tube has been used much more than the white. Can anyone guess what tomorrow's cream will be? :)

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  2. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

So glad to be aboard again for another November. Only one month away from Christmas. I joined this thread back in 2019, I believe around this month. Wish I could pop in a lot more like I used to, but just been busy with the Marines. I’ll be home next month so I should be able to check In more. Hope all of you are doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Turner, Trigger and ewk like this.
  3. myles wilson

Wow what a view!

Hembree and Trigger like this.
  4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Cremo brushless cream is very slick and I use it for my headshaves.

Avalon and ewk like this.
  5. Trigger

Miles, you don't need any explanations. You are serving our country in the most physically and mentally demanding military branch. You share and comment here when you can.

myles wilson and ewk like this.
  6. Trigger

Nice pic and shave, ewk! If you keep with the Proraso theme, then I would say the red. If not, then I am clueless. Lol!

ewk likes this.
  7. Avalon

Avalon Active Member

3rd shave with this set up (including one last month lol)
    Razor:
    WCS Multicolour 84M
    Soap:
    Barbasol Classic
    Blades:
    Van Der Hagen Ice Tempered Stainless Steel

Switched it up slightly and shaved in the shower. Last time I didn't get as close as I wanted to, and it seems I overcorrected this time. That alum bar *Stung* today! Honestly I'm pretty happy though. I feel like I'm homing in on where I want to be technique-wise. 2 passes and then went back to catch a couple of spots.
    I think since I have more of these blades (5) than any in the sample packs I bought (2 each), I may go ahead and try an olive-oil pre-shave and see if that adds the slick I need. If that helps, I'll definitely be considering one of the slick soap options y'all have recommended when I do my next soap buy.

ewk and Trigger like this.
  8. Trigger

Very nice shave, Avalon. I know that once you try using a shave soap and a brush you will find that you will get better shaves. I would recommend getting a synthetic brush because they are less expensive than the natural hair brushes and they whip up lathers quite easily. Also, you don't have to break in a synthetic knot so you can use it from the start.

Avalon and ewk like this.
  9. myles wilson

Thank you Joe!

Trigger likes this.
  10. Trigger

Nov 3 SOTD

Good morning guys!

Van der Hagen Twist to Open Razor
    Astra Blue DE Blade (2)
    Heritage Classic/ C-Mon Super HD Badger Brush
    Stirling Christmas Eve SS and AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's WH
    Beard Growth: 38 hrs

20211102_201906~2.jpg

It was 37 degrees this morning so I brought out the Stirling Christmas Eve bundle to get me in a festive mood. The scent is like you are in someone's living room with a live Christmas tree and mixed in with a hint of fresh baked cookies. I like this scent so much that I use it any time of the year.
    On Monday, I used my most favorite brush,the JR Silvertip badger. This C-mon brush would be neck and neck to my JR Silvertip Badger. Anyway, it whipped up a very hydrated, slick lather.
    I eased off on the pressure, but maintained the steep angle on the VDH razor. I got a near BBS shave with 2 passes and touches. I didn't cut myself and there wasn't any irritation. Did get some slight stinging from the alum.
    Topped the shave with the witch hazel and the wonderful Christmas Eve aftershave. Have a great day, fellas!

brit, JACarbone, ewk and 1 other person like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Much better shave today than the previous few(not that they were BAD). 2 passes. Loading times before each pass were 0:40 and 0:15 respectively. You could see the soap become a little whiter after the second load-not unlike a cream or foam. That's GOOD. Went North to South on both sections of Porcupine Alley. For me, it's common to do it that way down South, a little trickier up on the North section. Jawlines look great as does all of Cactus Nation. Zero cuts, Zero Knicks. Outta This World Excellent- a big leap from the two Pretty Excellents of before.

brit, JACarbone, ewk and 1 other person like this.
  12. Paul Turner

I may have to replace "Knicks" with "irrititation". It's been fun to say "Knicks" though. And a cut is a cut.

13. Trigger

Awesome shave, Paul! Let's shoot for a whole week of these quality shaves.

brit, JACarbone and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Paul Turner

That'd be nice, Joe. I forgot to mention that this shave finished off the Stoylin Sandpiper "team"(for now) AND that I finished it with Mutamayez cologne(Swiss Arabian).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  15. Paul Turner

Here's a ranking of my 3 colognes, in particular order:

1-Mutamayez(House of Swiss Arabian)
    2-Pierre Cardin
    3-Passion 4 Men

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Barbasol FH/Treet Falcon/MDC Vetiver[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

17. Trigger

Nice setup Jeff.

brit and JACarbone like this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Myles....hope you are doing great!

19. Hembree

20. Hembree

It was more a take or leave it price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.