Now I understand the appeal of the Veg

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by americanshamrock, Jul 25, 2018.

1. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

... and Williams, Arko, and the desire to bloom your soap. :happy097:

PLANofMAN and Keithmax like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    And I thought Fuzzy was grumpy...

wristwatchb, Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not grumpy, just a smart aleck. :eatdrink013:

I color out side of the lines. :happy093:

RyX, Keithmax and Primotenore like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I still think "bloom" is a ridiculous word to use for hydrating a soap.

richgem, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Ah, The Veg. Here's a little story involving The Veg in my house. I was getting ready to go somewhere with the wife and son. I had shaved and the only thing left for me to do was my aftershave splash. My shave den is in our guest bedroom. So I went in there and decided I would go with The Veg. I splashed some on and some may have dribbled on the floor, but it couldn't have been more than a few drops. Most of it made it to my face. So I leave the guest bedroom and ran downstairs to get something. The next thing I know I hear my wife yelling "Why does it smell like pee? Why do I smell pee in the guest bedroom? Did the dog pee up here?" Now, my son, who is 15 and I've started him off on his DE shaving journey saw me put on The Veg. He knows all about The Veg. So he says to his mother, "No, mom, it's Dad." My wife responds "Dad peed in the guest bedroom?" He says, "No, it's The Veg." Her response is, "Well throw it out. It smells terrible. You're not going out like that, are you?" Well, needless to say, I'm definitely not one of The Chosen. And I have to agree with her. My first reaction to it when I put some on for the first time was "Hmmmm, essence of cat urine."

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree.

The Veg was the first and only aftershave that made my entire family order me to the shower, scrub my face, and get me to never use it again. I did a couple more times, even after letting it sit out, on my face, for several hours, before they smelled it. I didn't tell them it was on, but I got the same reaction. I didn't like it either. I PIF'ed it shortly after.

8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

You're not alone.

Enrico likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

And to shave with cold water. :scared003:

Enrico likes this.
  10. MntnMan62

Hey now. I like the feel of cold water on my face much more than hot water while shaving. I still like the feel of warm lather, especially in winter. But cold water in the heat of summer is amazing and it ain't so bad in winter either. And rather than "bloom" the soap, I'm going to refer to it as "softening" the soap. I like the sound of that better. More directly relatable.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I love Clubman products as a whole, but Veg is not one I'd try. To be fair, I haven't tried it, but Clubman is well known for its masculine, manly feeling. "Veg" doesn't quite make the cut for that, IMO. Since I haven't tried, I can't comment on the Cat P aspect, other than to say many have shared that same description.

12. MntnMan62

The original Pinaud Clubman happens to be my favorite of all my splashes.

13. Paul Turner

It's a great one, but I'll share with you what I shared with others a couple summers ago-I tried it in the summer, and it made my face very hot&sweaty. Thus, I make up for that by using it a lot at other times of the year.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  14. MntnMan62

It doesn't do that for me. I wore it two days ago. It was hot out plus I had just finished an 18 mile bike ride, and a hot shower and shave and put on the Clubman. Didn't get that feeling. But with everything in this shaving game, YMMV.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have tried it, and found the scent with it's lavender base not as masculine as I desire. As for the feline wiz notes; I can see where some may find it in its scent. The nose is a funny thing ... one person can smell decomposing vegetation in a swamp and another can smell Marigolds. I worked in a landfill for about five years and realized when confronted with a foul smell; I thought of something that smell similar, then the landfill didn't seem to smell that bad.

One time it didn't work; they brought in a truck load of road kill. Only one thing smells like decomposing flesh ... that's decomposing flesh. :sick007:

16. Paul Turner

Right. I did discover that Chiseled Face was all right for me during the summer...I have Ghost Town Barber, but the menthol in it was enough to make it manageable.

Enrico likes this.