Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by hrairy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

Yes I have a definite fondness for vintage. New is good, but vintage has more character I think.

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Any pics? Let us know how you like it:)

hrairy, Drygulch and txskimo like this.
  3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

My two cents is avoid the sample. Get 3-5 of several well regarded blades. Go to http://tryablade.com where you can pick up small quantities. Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver, Personna lab blue... That's enough to start. Should get you through you first month or two.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's a long time!! I think once you start to enjoy wet shaving you'll cut some of that beard off, maybe go with a mustache and goatee?

hrairy and txskimo like this.
  5. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I would have to agree. Many of the sampler packs have a ton of just horrible blades in them. Go for quality blades. Build your own sampler from tryablade like he said. In addition to the ones he mentioned get Feathers, Gillette 7 O'Clock in all the colors, voskhod, Rapira

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Saved me the typing.

Joef, hrairy and youngunn like this.
  7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I started with vintage razors ('59 Fat Boy and '54 Superspeed) and tryablade samplers. you can't go wrong with his top 10 or luxury samplers. I don't think I have many new production razors even now. Maybe 2 out of 20 and they are left bladeless for the kids to pretend with. with practice and a good brush any soap can be lathered well enough to work. Most soaps are easy, most creams are even easier. The Plissoft brush from razorock is a great choice for $10 but if you want other really good options there are boar bristle brushe from both Omega and Semogue. They require some break in time but they are worth it. Whippeddog is also a good place to get brushes. you can get most every type of hair type from him in a variety of sizes and handle colors. Once you get started head over to the 30 day focus thread. It is full of people more then willing to talk you through any problems you may have with technique and/or tools.

I know you have had a few people say to avoid sampler packs and then I come along and suggest some. Most sample packs do have bad blades in them but tryablade has some decent ones. Just don't be tempted to get the ultimate sample pack that has one of all his blades. I did that and can tell you that most of them are really bad blades.

Jim99, hrairy, Drygulch and 1 other person like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Good deal on the Super Speed! Everyone has their preference for just about everything shaving related, so you will often see YMMV. Having said that, I purchased an H.I.S. 1865 synthetic brush that lathers much better than any of the boar brushes that I or my son have. I've never tried a badger, so I can't speak about those from experience. Personally, I don't think you will go wrong with a synthetic brush.

The Astra SP blades previously mentioned work very well for me, but that's not universal. Get a sampler pack of blades so you can try a variety and see what works for you.

Van der Hagen soaps are inexpensive and work well for many people, especially as a starting point. If you have a Bath and Body Works near you, they carry C.O. Bigelow shaving cream; I like that and it's fairly inexpensive, frequently on sale.

Jim99, hrairy and txskimo like this.
  9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Perfect example of YMMV, I like and can make a rich slick lather from Williams Mug shaving soap. Most people would rather throw it away then use it. I don't suggest trying it. There are too many good soaps that are easier to lather. Proraso is a commonly suggested soap that nearly everyone can use well. @BamaT mentioned C.O.Bigelow, that is a rebranded Proraso green cream and is really good stuff. Van der Hagen is suggested quite a bit but I have never tried it. Arko is an easy cheap option but some people hate the scent. Cella and La Toja are both very good products as well.

I have a Semogue 1438 and its an amazing boar brush. It started out stiff but softened up with use. I also have a Whipped Dog synthetic and a RazoRock Plissoft that are both great brushes. I couldn't really pick a favorite out of them but they were all very inexpensive.

I'm pretty sure I said all this but I have small children and my mind stops working very well after about 7pm. Good luck.

hrairy, Drygulch and txskimo like this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Haha he is in for a treat =D

hrairy likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It has never occurred to me not to dry my hands. Even from my very first shave, I found that without drying my hands, the water would run from the hand and down to the elbow and drip here and there. No matter the razor, I quickly dry the hand after rising the razor.

It must be a matter of preference, because I have greater annoyances from not drying the hands, than the annoyance of having to stop and dry them :)

But I guess it also goes to show how some people say the smooth handle on the DE89 is slippery, while others say it's not.

BamaT, hrairy, txskimo and 1 other person like this.
  12. Omelmad

This makes me so uncomfortable hahaha. I also always dry my hands

hrairy and txskimo like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy102:

hrairy likes this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011::happy097:

hrairy likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

Excatly. I can go maniac mad and hysterical when that happens. Then it hits the counter-top and the second I lean over to look closer in the mirror, I have a wet belly and/or tshirt depending if I wear one or not in the moment.

So, dry-ish hands. It's simply a matter of touching the towel that hangs right next to me. It takes one second.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

hrairy likes this.
  17. Omelmad

You understand !!! :bounce017:

hrairy, Douglas Carey and tuxxdk like this.
  18. tuxxdk

Always, my Friend. Always :eatdrink047:

Omelmad and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I'll post some pics when it arrives. I just bought it yesterday.

20. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I did just that and picked up a few blades to try. Thanks for the web link.

BamaT, Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.