Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by hrairy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Just for fun, I went to tryablade, sorted by popularity and counted down until I came across something fairly controversial and I got down to six. So I'd say, stick to the top six for your first few weeks of shaving.

The ironic thing is I happen to really like the seventh blade listed. Lol

2. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Feathers should come with a disclaimer

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Why? They are a sharp blade, designed to cut. All blades are sharp and designed to cut. That's why we buy them. As with all blades, just take your time, pay attention to what you're doing, and respect the blade. :)

4. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to do a 30 day challenge with them. I mean if it wasn't for my face and throat being torn to shreds when I use them, I'd have a bbs shave every time.

Primotenore, BigCabDaddy and Drygulch like this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My standard advice is to try not to complicate things by adding too many variables at once. That being said, if you choose to go the sampler route, here's my advice. Go to tryablade and order 5 each of the following blades. Before everyone starts chiming in on their objections and/or modifications to my list, please read my rationale below.
    • Astra Superior Platinum
    • Gillette Silver Blue
    • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)
    • Personna Lab (Personna Blue)
    • Personna Red (Personna Platinum)
    Based on extensive research I did last year across 4 different forums, these are 5 of the top 7 recommended blades. The two I didn't list are Feather and Polsilver SI, which I would save until you have 30 - 60 shaves in.

Once you get these blades, use two of each, in order, for two shaves each. This gives you 4 consecutive shaves with a single blade type to evaluate, while removing two commonly problematic variables. One is the variable of blade dulling, the other is dud blades from a pack. Since you are swapping them after two shaves, you won't have to worry about a dull blade. Since you are using two from a pack, you don't have to worry about having pulled a dud (it happens sometimes). Make notes on what you liked or disliked before moving on to the next blade brand.

Once you've evaluated all 5 in this manner, pick the one you liked best. Order enough of them for at least 30 shaves. Use the 3 remaining in the pack while you wait for your order to arrive, then use that blade brand only for at least 30 shaves while you work on your technique.

Rusty blade, BamaT, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  6. BigCabDaddy

Fabulous methodology.

Rusty blade and txskimo like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Sir there is a method to your madness, love your formula. :happy088:

Rusty blade, txskimo and BigCabDaddy like this.
  8. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Do you like E-bay, flea markets, antique stores, junk shops? Think of the history of life when you look at old stuff in usable condition? Does any of this make you sigh or give you a warm feeling some good remembrances? That's what it's all about? Shaving is part of life and isn't it a wonderful idea to enjoy those parts in some way? "Son a real man must wash up, clean up carry a pocket knife, a pen and a wallet every day of his life if he is able." And then there's the shaving!

BamaT, Spyder, hrairy and 4 others like this.
  9. BigCabDaddy

Remember those football shaped, rubber squeezy things you carry coins in? My dad always had one of those. I loved those things. Wonder if they still make them? Zippo lighter too... And a finger nail clippers. He was prepared for the zombie apocalypse before anyone knew there was such a thing.

BamaT, Robyflexx and swarden43 like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

whew! I shower and shave every day, always have a pocket knife (a Kissing Krane stockman today), a pen (Parker Jotter) and wallet, and fingernail clippers!

11. BigCabDaddy

I'd never doubted you were a man's man for a moment SW. ;)

BamaT, Robyflexx and swarden43 like this.
  12. Robyflexx

IMG_20151216_145557.jpg IMG_20151216_145042.jpg
    :) View attachment 86029 View attachment 86029 View attachment 86029

13. BigCabDaddy

14. Robyflexx

The only places I have seen them occasionally is in mom and pop dollar stores or in Latino grocery stores by the checkout counter and even then only when I visit Miami. I can pick up a couple for you next time I visit in a few months? :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  15. BigCabDaddy

Dark red please! And if it has some kind of white advertising stenciled on it all the better! I think my dad's was a give-away from Farmers and Mechanics Bank... No wait! Some where Moorman's Feed which he worked for too!

* A low rider or Virgin Mary graphic is ok too though. ;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Robyflexx

I've been buying these since I was a young man picked that habit up from grampa, but for some reason I only ever see them in black, blue, and red. They seem to be popular because the red is hardest to find. If I can't find the red any preference? Wait green too :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  17. BigCabDaddy

Black. Red, then black. In that order. ;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Robyflexx

I've got you covered buddy, I should be going down that way in the next two to three months. They really are very handy. :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  19. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I've only ever seen them in FL. They make branded ones for the tourist attractions.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Robyflexx

This is very true :happy088: