Number of passes

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Engblom, Sep 5, 2018.

?

Besides some optional touch-up, how many passes are you doing?

1. One pass

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Two passes

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Three passes

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Four or more passes

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Four passes for me, WTG, XTG, XTG opposite direction then finally ATG. Going ATG too soon results in irritation. I rarely get irritation despite 4 passes.

2. brit

brit in a box

i need to used the 3 piece gillettes more...across the grain opposite has done wonders lately...

Douglas Carey and Frijolero like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

For me, it's mostly ATG, except for a couple of spots where that would be irritating. There (e.g inside of the thigh) WTG works better. It doesn't seem to make any difference in how leg hair feels when it grows back.

Frijolero likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Top to bottom.
    I need a very sharp blade , a feather, and I only use it twice because it will be to dull otherwise.
    I also use a slant or another good shaver like an open comb unless I'm trying a new razor.
    tp

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

My routine is WTG followed by cold water rinse and ATG with a cold water rinse followed by pick up passes under the jaw line and chin with a cold water rinse. ( usually excellent results)

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  6. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

2 passes, 1 WTG and 1 ATG.

Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I would expect the results to be all over the place on this one (like most other polls on this forum) considering everyone's hair is different. I need 3 and some cleanup to get as smooth a shave as I want. I really wish I was that guy who could be a BBS with one pass.

Frijolero and Terry like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

"I really wish I was that guy who could be a BBS with one pass"
    Me too!
    But I get a DFS and go on with one pass.
    Much better than the old plastic shave I use to get. My face, wallet, and my wife are thankful for this.

AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I don't know about you, but when I go for a "number two", I don't need a brush with lather. :p

No
    pictures, please! :eek:

scared.gif

PanChango, Enrico, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My one pass is down, with the grain. I don't get BBS results, more a decent shave. I really chased BBS shaves when I first started here and I was hurting myself, too close on me isn't comfortable, no longer.

Frijolero, Ron R and brit like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I still do chase BBS shaves. The learning challenge was to get my prep, lathering, and technique to where I could achieve it without the irritation and weepers. I'm picky about my appearance (especially when dressed up). Fresh haircut, pressed suit and shirt, properly tied tie, shined shoes, and a BBS shave makes me feel like a million bucks.

Shaver X, macaronus, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I shave nearly every day and almost always perform two passes. The first pass is mostly a combination of WTG (cheeks) and ATG (neck). The second pass is mostly ATG. Touch-ups include some some XTG strokes under my nose, around my mouth and chin, and along my jawline.

macaronus, AGHisBBS, brit and 3 others like this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

People use what works best for them. On wetshaving forums, blogs, online stores and YouTube videos, it is widely claimed that WTG-XTG or WTG-XTG-ATG works best, along with shaving after a shower. Guys try it and find that it works well, and state as much. The ATG part of a three-pass shave isn't that much of a difference from a two-pass shave in the overall scheme of things.
    It is a far cry from times long past when people were taught by TV commercials that a one-pass shave was the way to go.

Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do 2 full lather passes. First more or less with the grain second more or less across the grain. Then a clean up pass using witch hazel. The clean up usually just becomes another pass needed or not. I do not worry with against the grain or BBS. No matter what its back to sandpaper in a few hours...why bother.

If you need more then 3 passes maybe you need to work on technique.....just saying.

brit and Keithmax like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

2 passes- top to bottom then bottom to top. Always.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Survey Update:

We have 3 Passes in the lead at 44.4%, 2 passes in second at 36%. No competition from One Pass and 4 or more Passes. Signing off for now.

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Most days is just a single pass with a bit of touch up along the jaw line.

If the blade is old and I have a loaded brush, I might do a second.

Screwtape likes this.
  19. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

The number of passes varies by razor for me. Once I achieve a close, comfortable shave in an area, I don't want the razor going over that area again. I've been using a Weishi long handle lately and it always takes three passes and a couple of touch-ups. It's a super mild razor that is great for beginners, though as an experienced guy, it's a little too mild.

Using an R41, I can get a pretty close shave in one pass if I really concentrate on blade angle and getting every square mm on my face. The norm with the R41 for me is two passes. Same for the Rockler 6C with a #4 plate.

Razors like a Red-Tip or Bali are usually two passes with a few touch-ups.

Moving on the straight razors. My cheeks are one pass. My mouth, chin and neck are usually two passes with touch-ups.

brit and Terry like this.
  20. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Three to five passes. Light touch, no irritation, BBS.