Obligatory Aeropress thread

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PalmettoB, Feb 13, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Brian, glad you found one!

Neale, I use just a cheap Black and Decker grinder I got at Wally World, but you can certainly get nicer ones.

2. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

Oh yes they are! linky linky

Aeropress online

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Blair :D

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Well.....mine arrived today. You are correct.....incredibly smooth coffee:D I do however have to work out a correct strength for me! I have been practising with a strong one....Peruvian Machu Picchu....and am currently in orbit somewhere between Mother Earth and the Moon. Not much sleep for me tonight me thinks.

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Sweet Brian,

Glad your arrived, I got mine on Saturday..so far I am loving it. My wife even noticed a big difference in flavor and lack of bitterness.

Thanks to all who recommended this to me :D

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You're welcome. Anytime. :D

7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Neale, Brian, I knew y'all would be impressed! (And Brian, I hope you have a soft landing! :rofl )

8. madmedic

On my way down:D

9. _JP_

The instructions that come with the thing are confusing on the amount of coffee to use. The rule of thumb is when you are using ground coffee, measure out the amount of grind that you usually use. If you are using whole beans, then use the included scoop as a measure with one scoop of whole beans for each cup of coffee. Then grind.

BTW, the included scoop is the same size as a standard coffee measure.

10. madmedic

That is probably where I went wrong......the standard measure over here is a dessert spoon per cup. I managed to use a half bag (100g) of coffee in a VERY short space of time when I used the supplied scoop. ......a really serious caffine kick!

11. I've been going through an awful lot of beans since I bought my two Aeros. I like a good 10-12 ounce cup, so I use two heaping scoops of beans, add water to the top of the number 2, press, and dilute with hot water.

No turning back for me.

12. jfl

jfl New Member

I was also going thru a lot of beans, but reduced it 25% by going to a finer grind (two clicks finer on a burr grinder). Same smooth coffee with less beans.

Jim

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Pre-warm mug with hot water
    2 Aeroscoops pre-grind.
    Grind to Cone Drip
    Water temp @190 filled to 4 mark
    Wet grinds
    Stir
    Add rest of water, stir and count to 15
    Plunge to count of 18-20
    Dilute to taste

Note: If I need to mellow out rough beans a little, I fill to 2 mark, stir and plunge a little quicker.

14. madmedic

Well......I have been using the Aeropress for a little while now......loads of different coffees.....and all excellent. I am afraid I have to buy another one for work;)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Aren't we nice? Already bit that bullet. :D

16. Will

Will Nevermind

You guys just don't let up do you.

I was OK just using Col Conk soap BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Just had to try Mama Bear, Tabac, Saint Charles Shave.......

Then I was OK with just drinking cheep Whiskey BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Then I was OK with some cigars and not smoking a pipe BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I am OK with my Mr. Coffee maker BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

NOW YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE ME BUY AN AEROPRESS AREN'T YOU!

I love you guys. :D

17. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Brian, glad you are enjoying this modern marvel.

Gee, I know how that works all too well. Just get one, Doc. You won't regret it!

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

I've had mine about 2 weeks now, the wife and I are both loving the Aeropress, makes a fine brew :D

No regrets here :D

19. _JP_

..sigh..

Now that I've read through this again, I absolutely must set up a mug of Hazelnut coffee while I finish this tea.

20. madmedic

Curse you All

Well folks

Thanks to you all........I can't go out for a meal....and finish with a GOOD cup of coffee. Since I have bought the Aeropress.....everything else tastes bitter!