Obligatory Aeropress thread

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PalmettoB, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I've got some bailys sitting in the back of the fridge. Its been there for a few months. Good to drink?

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yup. This from Baileys...

What is the shelf life of Baileys Original Irish Cream?
    Baileys is the only cream liqueur that guarantees a totally natural product which delivers that unique, smooth Baileys taste for 2 years from the day it was made.
    One of the keys to achieving this is the artful blending of fresh Irish cream and aged Irish whiskey - two products that are not normally compatible. This is achieved through a combination of art and science and without the use of additives or preservatives, which results in the alcohol acting as a natural preservative for the product. How we do this must remain one of the closely guarded secrets, which contribute to producing the world's favorite liqueur.
    Baileys should be stored away from direct sunlight at temperature range of 41-95 degrees fahrenheit (5 – 35 degrees centigrade). You don't have to refrigerate your bottle, but we would recommend it - and it tastes even better when chilled! Fluctuating its temperature too much will cause it to go lumpy - so try and always keep it roughly at the same temperature. The storage conditions are the same for sealed or unopened bottles. If you are concerned about a bottle of Baileys - all bottles now carry a best before date - have you checked the best consumed before date on the bottle? If so, have you exceeded the date? If you cannot find a date on the bottle, have you had the bottle for longer than 24 months? You don't have to worry if you have - it is still fine to drink - it just won't taste as good as usual. We wouldn't recommend drinking it if it has gone lumpy or the mixture has separated though.
    The whiskey preserves the cream so well that we guarantee a totally natural product which delivers that unique, smooth Baileys taste for 2 years from the day it was made.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I got jipped. The bottle says 2/09 and I only bought it in september. Bastards. Thanks for checking michael. Maybe I need some irish coffee with brekfast?

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

I'm enjoying my Areopress. At first, I was using water that was too hot and getting a bitter brew. It was ok since I was making mocha. But when I used cooler water, it was much smoother.

Another alternative I found about a year ago is the Toddy Cold Brew system. I got one for my wife, but she hardly uses it. I took it out to compare to the Aeropress. The concentraded brew can be used as a flavoring for all kinds of things asside from hot drinks: ice cream, milkshakes, baked goods and so on. Given the low acid content, it keeps easily in the 'fridge and can be reheated without getting bitter.

One can also cold brew coffee in a French press. Here are some instructions/discussion.

So I'm thinking Aeropress in the morning and carry Toddy brew to work for the day time.

5. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Okay, I need to revive this thread for some questions.

1. Is it okay to use regular ole' store bought Dunkin Donuts coffe in these aeropress coffee makers?

2. The cups I use are pretty big. With a regular coffee pot, I have to fill it to the four cup line to get one of my cups of coffee. How much would I use with an aeropress?

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yup, I usually use regular Folgers unless I want a good cup of coffee. Usually cheap caffeine is all I need.

You will use a lot more grounds with this than you would with a drip. It has a scoop, you use one scoop per cup of coffee. Then fill the "injector" up to the line for how many cups. That makes that many shots of espresso. Then top it off with the rest of the water and it is good to go. I would say you use almost 8 TBS for 4 cups. I haven't actually measured the scoops to see though.

7. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Are you serious?!?!? That is crazy!! Would it be better to use a pestle to grind the coffee down to a powder? Would that save on the amount used?

8. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Infusion time is really short if you follow the directions, I think that's why they recommend you use so much coffee per cup. I found the coffee made to be a little too light so I use mine much like a french press. Use near boiling water, and 2-3 tbs per cup, pour water and coffee into chamber with plunger fully extended and inverted, let the mix infuse for 3 minutes, then screw the filter assembly on and extract. It's a little work but better than trying to wash out the grids from a french press.

9. riffin

riffin Active Member

AND if the grind is too fine, it is VERY hard to press. I do think the added pressure make a richer cup, though you you risk tearing your rotator cuff. Really.

Superblue: I use a 17 oz mug, nuke 1.5 cups water, pour it over 2.5 Aero scoops of grinds, stir, top it off, then put the plunger in at the top of the press and let it sit. The effect is probably about the same as you method. As far as topping the brewed cup off with water, why the heck?! There no caffeine in plain water! I either pour the last little bit, usually 1/4 cup, over the grinds after I've pressed the coffee and let it drip through or press again. The nice thing about a second pressing is you can get a bit of extra brew by pressing air through the grinds and expelling water that is retained and usually get tossed. It amazing how much water coffee grinds can hold and still look "dry." Either way, I top it all off with milk and coco for a fantastic mocha.

I might have to give your upside down method a try...

10. AVH

AVH Member

I've an Aeropress as well, and I quite like it, but I never seem to get really great coffee like I get from my Bialetti Moka coffee pot.

11. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Does anybody know if its possible to buy an Aeropress in Europe.. I find it intresting enough but I dont really wanna spend more on shipping than on the actual coffe maker..

Cheers!

12. AVH

AVH Member

I bought mine at Has Bean Coffee (UK).