Oct 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for OCtober?

1. Shave with one or more really cool DE OC razors.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Shave with one or more really cool SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Shave with one or more DE and SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Durham Duplex counts, right?

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. All straight, all the time.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. To find the freaking cookies I keep hearing so much about.

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. I'm just waiting until Halloween. I need candy!

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Durham Safety.jpg

Is this the monstrosity you speak of? That is a Durham Duplex safety razor.

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And a few of my stunt shaves have come close to requiring a blade more suited for Pathology.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Now that is color coordination. Wow.

Very cool looking razor.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Mark!

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 1, 2017
    Wolfman WR1 OC
    Feather
    Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest
    CRSW Jeff’s Soap
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

Open Comb OCtober is one of my favorite themes of the year. In general I prefer OC DE razors to the SB DE razors. I will be using the little RV Rover with the Jeff's Soap over the next two weeks since it is a smaller knot and works better with the container. The TGN Finest has good backbone and scrub with little to no softness. The bulb shaped knot serves to amplify the backbone and scrub. Three passes and touchups ended in a near perfect shave. A splash of Floid Blue and I am off to visit Mom for the day. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Let me know if you want an OC. I’ll send you one.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'll play but it will most likely start tomorrow. 30 days for OCtober is how I was able to learn that open comb razors weren't scary. I have a few vintage ones I will break out this month. Old Type, New Improved, New Deluxe, LC New, Sheraton, and the OCMM. I may give the OCMM a break as I have used it regularly for the last two months playing with SE razors.

8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I was referring to the one with scales, but either one of them looks like something a drunk lumberjack adapted for shaving. Apparently he consulted a flooring company to make it work properly. Sounds like a bad idea kind of shave that is best suited for video.

9. mrchick

I’m not sure what to focus on this month. I think I’ve done them all. All I know is that it will involve straight razors and very tasty cookies
    Let me think about it. In the mean time here is today’s SOTD.
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    RigaRazor
    Thayers WH
    Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave
    Have a blessed Sunday![​IMG]

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thanks Brian, that's a nice offer. It wouldn't get any use though, other than once or twice this month. I appreciate it though. And I do have a couple actually, but they are "loaned" out to my son and father.

I only have a handful of safety razors left anymore, and except for a couple of DE's, they are all SE's of one sort or another.

I will be good with my off handed focus for the month. I need to work on my ATG on my jaw line with my weak hand. If I can end the month with no new scars, I will call it a success.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A great setup, Clint. I love the brush, and its story.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The straight razor version of the Durham Duplex was actually something of a success in its early days. Notice I didn't say it WAS a success, but "something of a success". They actually enjoyed pretty good sales as it was an early try at introducing a straight razor that was safer to use. There were quite a few different models of the razor, mostly different materials and design on the scales and the packaging. The safety version is the DuBarry model. Based on the case my DD is in it was produced sometime after 1920, likely prior to 1925 but that isn't a total certainty. The DuBarry showed up around 1923, so both are probably contemporaries.

The Durham Duplex eventually morphed into a dog grooming razor as it fell out of favor with human shaving. My own take on its fall into obscurity would simply be the popularity of safety razors led by Gillette and his marketing machine. Sleek, cool looking Gillettes were cheap as were the DE blades that fed them. Straight razor shaving as a whole fell out of favor due to the rise of the safety razor. The DuBarry couldn't compete with the shaves a Gillette razor could give, and that proprietary blade didn't help.

Using a Durham Duplex today isn't impossible but blades are the issue as the only modern blade I can find is the Personna blade that is actually a pathology blade. So the shaves can be a challenge, but getting to use something like this is still fun every once in awhile.

13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks for the interesting razor history lesson. Only in the 30 DC can you find someone shaving with a dog grooming razor which loads with a pathology blade and no one bats an eye.

14. mrchick

I understand. I don’t hardly use them anymore either. Have fun.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And even better - if I would suggest using one with an original blade (I have some) while standing on my head in a tub full of ice - I could get four to eight guys to try it with me. I love this group. :eatdrink047:

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful razor Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  17. mrchick

The last gathering at Neal’s....[​IMG]

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

On my choice of Sandalwood(WSP) soap and A.S. yesterday, I thought to go with it because it was going to be chiller than recent days. But I forgot to realize that with my emotional reaction to that small service that honored my Mom(and others who died recently at the facility where she finished out her life), I was physically not up to par. Thus, I didn't have my usual "loading" speed. I look forward to getting back to the gym next week to regain some physical(and mental)strength.

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

No one in HERE, that is. (Good thing the dog isn't a member of 30 DC)