Oct 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for OCtober?

1. Shave with one or more really cool DE OC razors.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Shave with one or more really cool SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Shave with one or more DE and SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Durham Duplex counts, right?

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. All straight, all the time.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. To find the freaking cookies I keep hearing so much about.

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. I'm just waiting until Halloween. I need candy!

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've a 3/4+ full bottle right now. Don't go out of your way on my account. The cost of shipping is more than the value of the product.
    Being discontinued if you can get some it's a cheap investment and could be a good trade item in the future.

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm amused by how much the label for the Super Blue Blade looks like the wrapping for the similarly named Gillette Super Blue Blade:
    [​IMG]

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Indeed. Gillette should be ashamed of themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I think I read somewhere that it is rumored that both blades are produced by the same factory. One thing that I can say about these that can't be said about too many other Chinese made blades, they actually shave.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette blades (Wilkinson, Goal, Blue, Nacet, Super Thin) are/have been made in Shanghai . I don't believe they are the same source as the Zhe Jiang Ji Li production Tian Li . Maybe Flying Eagle which are Shanghai blades but then again there are a lot of manufacturers. I know the Tian Li company utilizes some British equipment though I don't know if that's for its double edge blades. Note the range of blades coming out of Zhe Jiang Ji Li, not what you'd call a boutique manufacturer:

http://m.ecer.com/suppliers/zhejiang_jili_hardware_co_ltd-lz1fc3093.html

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm in...

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

That was a given, dude.

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_1351.JPG
    1-2 OCtober 2017 On the Road Shave

Greetings from Columbus GA!
    Above is my setup for this week. As usual the Gillette NEW Short Comb/Gillette Silver Blue combo has delivered its normal outstanding results. 2.5 passes of shaving excellence. The Barberia Toscana yielded up a slick cushiony lather that left my face nice and soft.
    Since I'm spending the week with my lovely bride, Aramis is the After Shave of choice.
    It's been great so far spending time with my son.
    Have a great week in case I don't get back. Been busy!

FaceScraper, Screwtape, MR41 and 13 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Getting with OCtober, Tuesday shave

One of my favorite OC DE razors, one of my favorite DE razors, today's razor is a Joris. It looks cool and shaves great. Loaded it with a fresh Iridum Super and paired with a new soap, Fine Vetiver. I am pleased with the soaps performance and the scent matches the aftershave which bears a good resemblance to Guelain Vetiver. An epic shave, the stars were in alignment.

Irritation A+ Closeness A+

Razor: Joris (Iridium Super 1)
    Brush: Romera
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Fine Vetiver
    AS: Fine Vetiver
    Scent: Guerlain Vetiver

ID - 1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    FaceScraper, Screwtape, MR41 and 12 others like this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm glad to hear this. I picked up two Joris razors at an antique store today. I didn't know what they were until after the fact. Apparently they didn't either. I just thought they looked good and took a chance at $15 each since it was open comb October.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

FaceScraper, Screwtape, MR41 and 11 others like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, they are big$$$. Excellent score. If you like aggressive razors you will be pleased.

12. SharptoothC

I have started to like them more and more. I had no idea what I was getting when I got them. I am excited to try them after reading about them. I also got an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth for $15 there. I'm wondering if someone bought an estate sale. They were all three together. It was a pretty good score overall. I like your taste. I don't hear Joris mentioned much, so I was excited to see you mention it today.

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober!!!

October 2

Razor - 1918 Gillette Old Style
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Pre - Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

Second day of OCtober and the second day with the Old Style/Voskhod combination. I added the pre-shave routine in today with the Stirling Mentholated pre-shave soap just to see how it worked with the MWF. And, I went with the Silvertip brush as a switch from my newfound synthetic routine. I washed my face with the pre-shave soap and didn't rinse, lathering over the top of it with the Fat. Fantastic lather tonight as I got the water right on the first try. I haven't used synthetics much with the Fat but I still have the touch with the Silvertip.

Very slick first pass and the second pass was also nice and slick. Very nice feel and I was fine until I decided to do some extra diagonal work on my neck. Ended up with a small weeper on the right side. Can't push it too far with this razor or it will find blood. Still, the overall shave was very comfortable and the added little menthol kick from the pre-shave soap was a nice addition - and it is Menthol Monday, after all.

In spite of the weeper I'm calling this one BBS and loving it. One more night with the Old and I'm looking forward to a fantastic third shave with it. Final thought on the pre-shave soap - my face is incredibly soft after every shave I use it. Still not committing to a regular full-time regime with it but it is nice to add now and then.

October 2 2017.jpg

FaceScraper, Screwtape, MR41 and 12 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I already had you on the list.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Gorgeous find!

16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

$180 Canadian each at Fendrihan. Great score!

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Nice pic, beautiful razor, stunning brush, Keith. Everytime I see that brush I am mesmerized by it.

18. SharptoothC

Thanks! They are notorious for being aggressive, so it should be a fun month!

19. SharptoothC

I was stunned when I saw what they went for at Fendrihan. I actually Googled "wood handle open comb double edge razor" trying to find out what they were, hoping I would get lucky, and the first image that popped up was from Fendrihan; it was the exact razor I was holding. I just started laughing, because I could never drop that much on a razor and survive. I can't tell my wife what they are worth. She will have them listed immediately. Me? I plan to use them.

20. SharptoothC

I see now why you like them. They are the straight razor equivalent of a DE.