OCtober 2015 - Discuss OC Safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Sep 30, 2015.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

second shave with the Grand Shave King self lubricating razor.
    today's shave was awesome. this razor sang the entire time. nothing to sing about by the third pass. it left me bbs smooth and way more comfy than yesterday.
    20151017_113347.jpg

2. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

OCtober 17
    Gillette NEW LC - Bekshire set / Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (2)
    Yardley vintage shaving soap
    Semogue 1520 Premium Boar NGT by Nougat Grapefruit & Cedarwood ASB
    Yardley vintage Black Label After Shave
    Yardley vintage Black Label Cologne

A great shave today with all variables falling into perfect harmony. This is the shave one strives for. Smooth sharp blade, Slick protective lather, Fresh aftershave with very little bite, and BBS & AGAIG.

[​IMG]

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Using my Gillette New long comb all month has gotten me thinking (watch out). If all Gillette ever made was the New and nothing else, I'll bet that DE shaving would still be a popular way to shave today. Hyperbole? Some may say so.

4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm glad you like it! I was hoping you would. I didn't have the patience for it so it now has a new home and isn't sitting in my drawer unused.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

October 17

Gillette New LC
    Feather blade (3)
    Kent BK4 silvertip brush
    Trumper's Coconut cream
    Two passes
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine L'Orange Noir

I skipped yesterday, so I was really looking forward to this morning's shave. First pass was WTG, and the second pass was XTG on my face and ATG on my neck. I got as close to BBS as I ever get, and it was very comfortable as well. I finished with Fine L'Orange aftershave, and it is a winner.

On this beautiful October day, my Bride and I enjoyed a lunch and afternoon theater date. Enjoy your weekend!

SOTD_101715.jpg

Norcalnewb, Dzia Dzia, twhite and 2 others like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Switched from my 1907 Single Ring to my late 20's Old Type. To me these are completely different razors. (I know, I know they're both Old Types.). But, where the SR feels light and maneuverable, the later OT feels heavier and clumsier. That being said it only took three shaves to get a sweet BBS with the "younger" OT. Finished off my TSD Iced Signature Event soap that provided me with a nice, slick lather. Have got to get more TSD soap.

wristwatchb, Jim99, Dzia Dzia and 2 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

October 18

Gillette New LC
    Feather blade (1)
    Kent BK4 silvertip brush
    TSD unscented
    Two passes
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine Platinum

A great way to start this beautiful Sunday!

SOTD_101815.jpg

Jim99, Norcalnewb, Dzia Dzia and 2 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

10/18/2015
    Razor – Gillette Red & Black New Deluxe
    Blade – Feather (1)
    Brush –Olivewood with TGN Finest Fan
    Lather – TSD Signature Scent
    Post - Witch Hazel & Captain’s Choice Bay Rum

[​IMG]

Redfisher, wristwatchb, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

OCtober 18 SOTD:

Homemade PS Oil
    Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
    TSD Lanolin Egyptian Spice
    Gem Micromatic OC
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Old Spice Classic AS

10. Roderick

OCtober 18 - Single Edge Sunday
    Gem Lather Catcher / Gem PTFE (3)
    TBS Maca
    Omega 10083 Pro
    Retinol Men ASB
    Mennen Skin Bracer

[​IMG]

11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Stayed with the GEM OCMM. Also tried face lathering (quite by accident - without thinking I simply took the brush to my face after loading it.) Staying flatter with the OCMM and the Alum Block agreed. Oh, and the face lathering worked great. I can see my bowl gathering dust. Maybe still useful when I use a tube instead of a tub? Maybe one more day with the OCMM to keep working my technique. After all, it still is OCtober. :happy088:

T&H PSO
    AOS Lavender Cream
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    GEM OCMM
    GEM SS (4)
    Osma Alum Block
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

Happy shaving - Karl

12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The Bostonian (New Standard) loaded with a fresh Polsilver SI blade gets the Nod again today. OCtober has had me focusing on basically two razors and I feel there's little left but efficient great shaves. Ive found the blade that works in them both the best (Polsilver SI).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That looks like a Gem Crowned lather catcher with the Bar design ? ....Very rare bird Sir..;)

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Dzia Dzia and clint64 like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    My second OC shave.

Equipment
    Razor 1921 Debutante
    Blade Astra SP (2)
    Brush AOS Pure Badger
    Cream AOS Sandalwood
    After shave Pinaud VIBR
    Bowl My own design 3D printed.

So this is only my second OC shave. I have to say this thing shaves wonderful. It gets under my jaw fantastically. Get almost all of it on 3 passes. the rest of my face and neck cleaned up even better.
    I used my bowl for the first time. the raised ribs on the bottom and the natural finish of the entire inside of bowl. Which has texture too it. This seemed to make a pretty quick lather about 45 to 60 seconds. I am still trying to get the ratios down. This batch was a tad bit too dry i think. I had plenty of lather for 3 full passes and enough for a fourth if needed.

15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

After sitting here thinking about this last shave. I really like the balance of this razor. Just gently holding the razor and having my pinky on the bottom of razor. The head felt nice. It had some decent weight to it. It Needed no pressure at all. Just weight of the razor cut fantastic. This is a good razor for me to practice my light touch on. I think if I apply too much pressure it will bite back. I am going to finish out this month with only this razor. I might try a different blade or two along there way.

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Very cool that you printed your own bowl design! Is a razor next? :happy088:

Karl

17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Who knows. I may give it a go. Somebody earlier posted an open source razor to print. I will have to see if work will let me print one out.

18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the collaboration on razor design if we all knew how to code? :happy036:

Karl

19. Roderick

Thank you. I just think it is a lovely piece of shaving history and it gives me a great shave. I'm not sure about what you mean "crowned"? Tell me more please.

20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes it could be something. Or it could go south real fast. Too may chiefs and not enough indians so to speak.

clint64, Karl G and Dzia Dzia like this.