October 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Sep 30, 2021.

?

What is your most challenging part of shaving?

1. Making a great lather

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Choosing the right blade and razor for my beard growth

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Try to pick the right aftershave

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I do not have any challenges

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Other (technique or issue)

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Not picking the Veg

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Waking Up

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Listening to Brian Adams' "Cuts like a Knife"

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  9. It just feels so right

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Long Polls

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

B61AB62A-1429-4392-888E-8B325D6283A6.jpeg
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 1, 2021

Welcome to Open Comb October. Congratulations to Joe (@Trigger) for his willingness to pick up the reins and carry on. As an active member of many FB Shaving Forums and a member here at TSD for a couple of years, I’ll make it a point to direct wet shaving newbies and any others interested in developing their technique this way to the 30DC Thread here at TSD. Want to master a particular safety razor, learn the finer points of bowl or face lathering, learning about the use of various fragrances, or even learning to straight shave or improve on any of the latter skills.

Everyone, regardless of their level of experience can learn here. I shaved with the same Schick Krona for 50 years and learned about RAD on this very forum! I also learned to straight shave properly here and expand my RAD illness. But seriously, it’s a great place for making friends, learning shave technique and having fun. It pulled this old man out of the doldrums. It’s a fun place! We learn, make great friends, poke friendly fun at each other and share all kinds of shenanigans.

In the spirit of OC October I decided to go old school, and grabbed my 1840s H. Hobson Sheffield Wedge for this morning’s mug shave.. Full wedge razors are not for everyone. Honing them is a bit of a pain. Three pieces of tape on the spine does it for this particular razor which I just touched up last night on the 9 Ball slate and jasper. For anyone used to hollow ground razors, the absolute silence of a wedge is kind of spooky. But three delightfully smooth passes left your happy narrator porcelain smooth.

Instead of my usual MWF, I decided to use my Glacial Electric Sheep from Stirling. I enjoy the cooling lather, and the post shave feel it delivers which is close to, but not quite MWF. It really provides a slick surface, and is easily built into the two kinds of lathers I enjoy for my shave, thin and wet for the mug and a bit more yogurty for the noggin. The OC Gillette Big Fellow (1920) from that model’s second year of production cleared away the dome stubble nicely in the usual two ATG passes leaving yours truly velveteen smooth from the shoulders up.

RAZOR: H. Hobson 6/8 (Mug), Gillette Big Fellow (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
    SOAP: Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite and Canoe Original EdT.

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Great shave, pic, setup and tip, Danny! I sometimes lather my face one last time after my shave to use up the lather and enjoy the scent.

jtface, JACarbone and jgreenepa like this.
  3. Trigger

Thanks Jeff for the kind words. You have come along way in your shave journey. I appreciate you!

4. jgreenepa

Great kickoff, Joe! It’s good to know we’re in good hands!

jtface, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I haven't seen the group hug for a few months. :) My main focus for October will be to lessen the pressure I give my shaves. Sometimes I accomplish this anyway, but I need to make it a habit. Happy to be a part of our group for another month!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  6. jgreenepa

Great kickoff Muhle shave, Joe! I look forward to being one of your cats!

7. jgreenepa

No problem, Danny, so did I! Great ATT shave, despite the dot! That is one good-looking razor!

8. Trigger

:signs001:

9. Trigger

You are a lion among us. I respect your wisdom, my friend.

10. Trigger

Glad to see you here for another month, Paul! You vastly improved your technique over the last year!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    9nein9, jtface, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Thanks, Joe! 50 years with my faithful Schick Krona until I landed here and you guys introduced me to RAD in all its glory! ;) :D

12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Well said Joe. Looking forward to many interesting months with you at the helm.

jtface, Trigger and jgreenepa like this.
  13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Superb Muhle shave Joe.

14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Awesome shave Danny.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks a lot Joe...I'd like to think I agree with that. Oh heck-I DO agree :).

16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

82BFCA46-3D25-4A91-A192-0B72A20CEB2F.jpeg

SRS # 570

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Wester Bros. 6/8” 33 Fraternity
    Brush: Jack Skully
    Lather: LA Shaving Soap Company Blackfern
    Aftershave: Brut
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Thayer’s Witch Hazel - Original
    Nivea Cool Balm

I decided to start the month off with a Fougere Friday shave. Of course my other Friday options in the past have included Proraso Friday and MWF Friday. I do have a couple of OC in the den that I will sprinkle in during this months shaves. Additionally, as we move closer to the end of the month the shave photos will feature the various Halloween paraphernalia that my wife will be display throughout the house.

I had a very nice three pass shave with the Wester Bros. straight. Daily, I am gradually gaining more range of motion with my right shoulder, therefore I have been able to use the right hand in assisting when needed. (Stretching). The splash of Brut finished off this shave nicely.
    Hope you all have a great day gentlemen.

17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Just another Ho hum, I mean rocking shave Jeff. Well done!

18. jgreenepa

Nice shave, Joe! Ho hum! :D

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yintal CNC 316, PAA Ascension SS, Kai blades. Yintal is very competent in a Game Changer kinda way ie not a game changer...the Ascension OTOH is a standout for me, keeper.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

jtspartan, 9nein9, Droo78 and 4 others like this.
  20. Trigger

Life is beautiful when you become a wetshaver with RAD, etc. Lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.