October 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Sep 30, 2021.

?

What is your most challenging part of shaving?

1. Making a great lather

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Choosing the right blade and razor for my beard growth

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Try to pick the right aftershave

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I do not have any challenges

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Other (technique or issue)

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Not picking the Veg

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Waking Up

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Listening to Brian Adams' "Cuts like a Knife"

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  9. It just feels so right

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Long Polls

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent Barry. Enjoy the Halloween festivities. I looking forward to your November focus.

palmolive fox and Trigger like this.
  2. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Agreed

Trigger likes this.
  3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Awesome shave Joe.

Trigger likes this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice Paul. Reflection on both successes and challenges are important to moving forward.

Trigger likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thank you Joe, and I do agree.

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thank you for appreciating my suggestions. My motive is to go back to the 30 DC basics and have everyone share as to why they didn't have such a great shave or why they did have one. When we share info like this it not only reinforces what we need to do to improve our technique for the next shave, but it will help others such as newbies to wetshaving to improve their game as well. I have more suggestions that I will make in Nov. I am glad you are open to learn and be a better shaver, Paul. After 3 years of traditional wet shaving, I consider myself lucky that I can still learn new things to help me be a better shaver.

brit, JACarbone and Paul Turner like this.
  7. Paul Turner

I wrote a post yesterday, but had to delete it, as it was in the....you guessed it...wrong thread. That's another focus for me in November-quit doing that! This is the right thread for what I wrote. I said that I watched a video of a guy shaving with a new soap that I may get in the near future-called Full Measure Of A Man. He did 2 passes, but here's the interesting thing-for the second pass he dove his brush back into the soap puck for another full complete load. In my early days here I did that, but stopped when our dearly departed Kerry asked me in a constructive criticism way if I was out of my mind...saying the first load should be enough. I thought about that with this morning's shave, but figured I'd waste soap after the sec0nd, and even a rare(for me)third pass if I dove the brush in for the full load. By the way, this product is from Barrister&Mann. Any thoughts?????

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  8. Trigger

Fine shave and enjoy the zoo with Anthony.

JACarbone likes this.
  9. Trigger

Thanks Joe.

JACarbone likes this.
  10. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

Thanks Joe. :cool:

11. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Joe....Encouragement joy and inspiration are something i get from my shaves.:cool:

12. Trigger

I think the inherent problem with lathering is there are many ways to get a great lather. My way is quite unorthodox, but it works for me. Before I use a brush on a puck of soap, I wet my face with the brush. By doing this, I am transferring some of the excess water to my face. At this point, the brush is still moist so that when I hit the puck I form a frothy lather. I use this lather as a preshave while applying it to my face with the brush. At this point, I have enough moisture between the first application of the water and the preshave frothy lather. I go back.to the brush and gather more soap and facelather. Repeat a few more times and I get a great lather everytime. Notice, I am not adding water duiring this process. However I will add a few drops of water on my brush at the end of my first lathering pass to smooth it out and get the creamy, slick lather that I want.
    I don't believe that I am using more soap than if I just whip up lather and facelather in a more conventional way. I use the conventional lathering methods as to change my morning ritual. I even bowl lather if the mood strikes me. Lol! Ultimately, you need to find that works for you and the only way to get there is to try different lathering methods.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    JACarbone and Paul Turner like this.
  13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe

Trigger likes this.
  14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

No worries! If you do it again, just let me or another staff member know and we can move it to the appropriate place/thread so that you don't have to type it all out again or deal with copy/paste.
    :eatdrink047:

15. Paul Turner

I appreciate that-thanks.

JACarbone, Trigger and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. Paul Turner

I'll try the "water-on-brush-between-passes" routine, especially for the 3x-milled(pancake)soaps.

17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Cut and paste works too.

Trigger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.