October 30 Day/Rule Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Will you be focusing on an Open Comb razor?

1. Absolutely, I have them all shined up and ready for shaving.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. I will mix it up, closed and open comb razors.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I haven't used a comb for many years.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I am a straight razor shaver, you open comb shavers don't know what you're missing.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I use an open comb razor, will I finally get some cookies?

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Daniel

Hembree, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  2. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Superb photo, Daniel! Love it! :happy096:

3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Looking forward to it when the time comes.

4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great Tradere shave, Clint! There’s definitely a lathering learning curve with MWF, but it does reward persistence. If you’re a face latherer, first applying the Fat as a thin paste to the shave surface is the way I like to go. Then just keep wetting your brush and applying it to the paste on your mug. MWF is a very thirsty soap, but once your lather is built it should be thick, yogurty and rich. It may not be the best soap for someone in a hurry! It does take time to build the lather. For bowl lathering, I always bloom it before in warm water before beginning my shower. I use the bloom water as a Preshave after Argan Oil application. Drain the excess, and then lather directly from the ceramic bowl. It is thirsty, so I do spend a minute or two building the lather, continually adding a drop or two of water until the lather is of the appropriate consistency. I like a thinner, wetter lather for my straight shave, whereas I prefer a thick, yogurty lather for my dome. Hope this helps!

Hembree, jtspartan, brit and 5 others like this.
  5. jgreenepa

Great shave, Danny! Sounds like that Shark blade worked well for you!

Hembree, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh ok. You may know my story-I ordered it as a sample along with Gentleman, Xecutive Man and Sharp Dressed Man, and Sandpiper jumped right out at me. How is Andrew doing...OK I hope. 3 kids to deal with is tougher than 2, although by now the older one appears to be moving right along in the growing department.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Hembree, jtspartan, brit and 5 others like this.
  7. FaceScraper

Wonderful setup and photo, Clint! You'll get the MWF under control quickly. I think you'll see that it's really no different than any other soap to dial in. It does start out airy compared to others. Once you start lathering, and get enough water, it'll get nice and creamy.

8. Paul Turner

Oh the Shark Blade
    Down By The River doncha know
    :)

9. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

I have a ATT S2 slant open comb, and a PAA Ascension open comb. I will use them for 2 out of 3 shaves and if needed the third something milder if needed. Personna Blue blades, and soap, let's say Taconic Shave Eucalyptus Mint Shaving Soap Stick with hemp oil, which is great stuff. Forgot I'd had it. Except Thursdays I'll use Tabac.
    All that and my r Chubby Scrubby boar brush which needs some breaking in.
    It soaks up lather, it disappears so I don't use it in a bowl, I read to try treating it with hair conditioner. Anyone ever done that?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Primotenore, b1hart, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  10. FaceScraper

Awesome stuff, Danny! I'll be interested to see what you think of the Sharks. From what I recall, they're very good, yet they don't seem to last as long as other blades.

11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe. Carbone is a common Italian name: Ranked the 36th most common Italian surname in America.

12. FaceScraper

Impressive photo and report, Joseph! :happy088:

Primotenore, Hembree, brit and 4 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

I have a friend named Cicione...She's of Italian heritage, and it took me a while to learn that you don't pronounce the E. Is that the way it is for your last name, too?

Hembree, brit, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  14. FaceScraper

Congrats on the awesome shave with your new C-Mon, Jeff! The LeResche ain't hard on the eyes either.

15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Beautiful picture. Did you bin the blade?

Hembree, brit, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

We pronounce the "e"

Hembree, brit, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  17. jgreenepa

Lovely shave, Maestro! I'm glad Your kickoff shave went so well! What OC are you expecting to arrive? Inquiring minds wish to know! :eatdrink047:

Primotenore, Hembree, brit and 4 others like this.
  18. jgreenepa

I have an XA, and a couple of old Rolleiflex TLRs, Daniel. I'm not really doing much photography anymore, other than my shots of my shaves! I enjoy your posts.

Hembree, brit, FaceScraper and 4 others like this.
  19. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Very nice shaves, gentlemen!
    Thank you, Bruce!
    Thanks, Joe! I didn't, yet. I'll try to get another shave out of it. Sometimes the first one isn't quite as smooth as the second, but if it gets worse, i'll bin the blade.

JACarbone, Hembree, brit and 6 others like this.
  20. jgreenepa

Thanks, Myles! Looking forward to your October shave posts, but do understand that you’re a busy man With both school and work!

Hembree, brit, FaceScraper and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.