Odd side effect

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sara-s, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am recovering well from a lumpectomy. The margins were clear and it was caught very early. I am of course, grateful for this. I still have to be on some medication for the next several years to reduce the chance of recurrence.

I have noticed that my leg hair is growing much more slowly, which of course, I do not mind a bit. From my research, this can be a side-effect of the drug I am using. Oddly, I have not noticed any hair loss on my head, which has enough thick, curly hair for 3 or 4 people. Puzzling, but so far, so good.

2. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Glad you're all clear and in good spirits! Another day on the right side of the grass I like to say.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Sara-s like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Glad to hear that everything is going well!

I'm going to guess that one of your drugs modifies hormone levels to some degree. Body hair tends to be more hormone level sensitive then head hair. So that might explain the slower growth rate. Educated guess anyhow. You'll just have to shave more slowly to make up for it. :)

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very glad you're doing so well.

May God bless and keep you!

:)

5. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Glad you're doing well!

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks for the kind words. I realize most of the posters here are men. But if you have a wife, daughter, mother, etc who is dealing with this, please feel free to ask any questions that you have. I am not uncomfortable discussing it.

BTW is @richgem the drug does affect hormone production, so you are likely right about the explanation for the effect.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

D) All of the above

Stay well!

Ijustmissedthe50s and Sara-s like this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Super glad all went well and that you're progressing. Be safe and may the Lord be with you

9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

And at least the discrepancy is going in the right direction.
    With my luck, if I had to take any kind of chemo or drugs for cancer, I'd lose the hair on my head and find it doubling on my back.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No argument there! :)

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

Glad you are on the mend..:)

12. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

That's great news! I have had extensive health issues over the past six years or so and have taken a huge variety of pharmaceuticals, many of which had strange side effects. I lost my head hair and, while it has grown back to some extent, it is very thin, both in amount and the follicles themselves. I have tried different supplements and things but nothing seems to make a difference. Hopefully, you can get back to normal soon. And again, I am so glad to hear that it turned out ok.

13. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Hope all continues to go well!

14. Avalon

Avalon Active Member

I hope it continues to go well, and I'm glad that the meds are at least having side effects in a more convenient, not less, direction!

15. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

Medications can affect all parts of the body as side effects but not always in a positive manner. Trust me I know. Glad to hear you are doing well. Good luck in the future!

16. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Continued good health to you, with respect, admiration and prayers.

Sara-s likes this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm thankful you caught it early and are doing well, Sara.

It is kind of you to share your experience. My Bride is a 22-year breast cancer survivor. She took Tamoxifen and then Femara for several years following her lumpectomy. When she was diagnosed, we had many questions and were thankful for the kind souls that encouraged and helped us.

18. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great to hear it was caught early. I pray that you will continue to be in good health.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@wristwatchb I am glad your wife is doing well. Even under the best of circumstances, it’s pretty scary.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Hope you continue to do well.