Off the shelf

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by micah1_8, May 4, 2009.

1. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

A bunch of amazing books I've read over the past few mos.

Just read a very memorable book called Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese-it's about a medical clinic in Ethiopia. I rarely books about the medical world unless it's a Journal but this was quite a special book.

Here's a few other books I've read over the past few months that really stood out:

The Power Of One by Bryce Courtenay about a kid growing up in South Africa.

Fall of Giants-by Ken Follett about WW I

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand about a POW in WW II Japan-one of the most inspiring books I've ever read.

Regan likes this.
  2. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

[​IMG]Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife My rating: 4 of 5 stars This is a book about nothing. Literally. Zero, like infinity, is a difficult concept to fully grasp, and Seife does a great job of pointing out the many ways and reasons this is so.He explores the way Zero has influenced culture, religion, and politics, dropping scads of interesting trivia along the way.I will never think of Pythagoras the same way again, after reading this book. The book has a tendency to get a little heavy on the math, which is really to be expected in a book about a number, I suppose.The examples in the book are fairly easy to follow and the book has a logical flow, but math phobics might want to look for a different read.I found myself reading it in small doses, so that I could take time to digest the ideas that were presented, and so, though it was a relatively thin book, it took me some time to finish.I'm glad I took the time. View all my reviews

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I must say I love Ken Follett. Just a great author, I just was reading Steven King Kujo. Pretty good book if your into that type of book :)

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I just checked out the "7 Tipping Points that Saved the World", it is about the miracle of freedom. How very few actually live with freedom.

5. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

I am into the fantasy series by Robert Jordan "The Wheel of Time", and am currently on the 13th book. I love and highly encourage those books.

6. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. I got a Kindle since last time I posted and have determined it's the best new device I've used since I discovered wet shaving.

Jack London - The Sea Wolf, Burning Daylight, White Fang, The People of the Abyss, and The Road
    Phillip K Dick - Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
    Stephen King - Mile 81, Different Seasons
    Jon Krakeur - Into the Wild, Into Thin Air
    George Orwell - Animal Farm
    Ted Conover - Rolling Nowhere

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Just finished Ann Coulter's recent book "Demonic". Excellent read about liberalism and the lies that have told over the years.
    I am reading Preston and Child "Vengeance". Excellent reading about an eccentric FBI Agent Pendergast. Very much like Sherlock Holmes, but with many skeltons in the family closet.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I just finished Quantum Reality: beyond the new physics by Nick Herbert. An older book exploring implication of various quantum thoeries using somewhat plain language.

Now, I've started The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean.

While both have very geeky titles, the former was a challenging read and the later is for me a light, fun read. I'm sure my education and career influence that, but it also falls into how each is written.

9. micah1_8

Is this thread still alive?

I'm currently working on 2 books: Gross National Happiness and One Horse Open Slay: A Crag Banyon Mystery (for which, I painted the cover)

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Pics, pics,pics! :)

11. supe

supe Active Member

Right now I'm reading Moby Dick, I can't believe I've waited 56 years to read this, lots of simple truths in this story.
    Just finished The Hobbit and some Lovecraft stories before that.Mostly though I'm a reader of classic science fiction.

12. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've always got a number of books I'm reading. I just finished three sci-fi/fantasy novels from the Star Wars universe: Darth Bane Path of Destruction; Revan; and Darth Plagueis.

Here is what I'm working on:

Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton
    Peace of Soul by Fulton J. Sheen
    Cognition: Epistemological Inquiry by Joseph Owens
    History and Future of the Roman Liturgy by Denis Crouan
    Comfortably Numb: the Inside Story of Pink Floyd by Mark Drake

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Just finished A Tale Of Two Cities bij Charles Dickens, in a very early edition (I love old books :) )
    [​IMG]

Right now I'm reading The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, part one: The Runes of the Earth by Stephen Donaldson (Dutch translation).
    [​IMG]

supe likes this.
  14. Adama

Adama Member

I just finished "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."

[​IMG]

The whole series was pretty good. I liked "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" the most, though. Now, I'm between books.

NoobShaver and macaronus like this.
  15. micah1_8

[​IMG] One Horse Open Slay: A Crag Banyon Mystery by James Mullaney

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I might be a bit biased for this book because I painted the cover, but I found the book to be a great light hearted romp in fantasy. In the tradition of the Eddy Bear mysteries and the Dirk Gently mysteries, Mullaney turns the detective novel on its ear. The lovable but gruff detective, Crag Banyon has been framed for the murder of one of Santa's little helpers, and it leads him on a journey through the seedier side of the North Pole.

Mullaney does a great job of breathing new life into familiar figures and breaking down your preconceived notions of the holidays. There's a chase scene near the end that isn't to be missed. If you enjoy detective stories mixed with a healthy dose of humor, you'll likely find this to be a grand romp!

View all my reviews

16. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I haven't read many books since I posted here - latest was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Now I'm checking out Duma Key by the same author. I really enjoyed King books growing up and hadn't read him in about 10 years prior to getting my Kindle. Now I'm hooked again.

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Just finished the first three books of the Baroom series that the John Carter movie is "based" on. The books were a quick read and full of action. Don't expect any deep insights. They are good for a quick adventure.

Next up is either book 4 of the series or I will be going for that book Micah just reviewed.

18. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Just finished Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. I may read it a second time!

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Last book I finished was Flatland. Really unique book and worth the couple hours.

20. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

How odd..... I was just talking about Flatland to a fellow faculty member at lunch. Did you know they are getting ready to release a 3D Imax version. Quite ironic material for a 3D movie in my opinion.