Off the shelf

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by micah1_8, May 4, 2009.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Oooh, look how detailed they are about make the middle of that one brighter. :rolleyes:
    I can say before they start filming that the book will remain far better than the movie.

2. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

I'm currently about a quarter of the way through Red Menace #2: Drowning in Red Ink. I'm enjoying it.*

*I did the cover art for this book.

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Last reads:
    • Jane Austen: Persuasion (in English, read as well: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park, Emma and Northanger Abbey to go)
    • Susanne Collins, The Hunger Games (Dutch translation)
    Now reading:
    • Gregory Maguire, Wicked (trying to finish it before saturday, when we go and see the musical)
    Next in line:
    • P.C & Kirstin Cast: House Of Night, part 5, Hunted

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Mike - I thought Wicked was great, but I'm not so sure I want to see the musical after reading the book.

Recently finished "How to Analyze People on Sight". While a bit self-grandizing in places, a very interesting read.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just finished "A Night to Remember".

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

_.jpg

Foreword by Dennis Smith, author of 17 books including the bestsellers Report from Engine Co. 82 and Report From Ground Zero

In a lively narrative peppered with intriguing details, author Robert Courland describes how some of the most famous personalities of history became involved in the development and use of concrete—including King Herod the Great of Judea, the Roman emperor Hadrian, Thomas Edison (who once owned the largest concrete cement plant in the world), and architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Courland points to recent archaeological evidence suggesting that the discovery of concrete directly led to the Neolithic Revolution and the rise of the earliest civilizations. Much later, the Romans achieved high production standards for making concrete, showcasing their achievement in iconic buildings like the Coliseum and the Pantheon. Amazingly, with the fall of the Roman Empire, the secrets of concrete manufacturing were lost for over a millennium.

Fascinating! Recommended...

7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

uploadfromtaptalk1336231151180.jpg

I just started to read the Oxford Worlds Classics publication of Notre Dame De Paris. This will be the second Victor Hugo book I have read, the first being Les Miserables (a mind blowing book). I prefer the Oxford publications because they include many appendices with beneficial information and references. I have read their publication of Great Expectations and The Heart of Midlothian, both amazing works and ones I highly recommend!

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, the musical was great! Quite different than the book and yet similar.

In the meantime I read and finished "Flying Colours" by C.S. Forester (from the Horatio Hornblower series, I pick one from time to time)
    Now reading Michael Blake's Dances With Wolves.

9. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

To feed my inner nerd: currently reading Star Wars: Ascension

Up next: The Wind Through The Keyhole (Stephen King)

10. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I haven't read a decent book in a while due to Uni assignments...my most recent's probably 'The One That Got Away" by Chris Ryan. It's his account of his 8 day escape from Iraq to the Syrian Boarder following his seperation from the other members of his SAS patrol. Definitely worth the read, although aspects of it have been criticised by other members of the patrol.

KLF likes this.
  11. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Summer vacation time is always a time for me to catch up on reading. Among others, I read 'Catch 22' by Joseph Heller and 'The Long Earth' by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter. Currently, I am alternating my reading moments between 'Closing time', the sequel to Catch 22 and 'Baby Love' by Robin Barker (most important home work for me ... ;-)

12. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation). I'm also reading some books/workbooks on penmanship as I begin working on the atrocity that is my handwriting.

Smoothy likes this.
  13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I just started "A Clash of Kings" which is book two of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series. I finished "Game of Thrones" last week. I am thoroughly hooked, although I keep wondering if it's healthy for me to read.

Smoothy likes this.
  14. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

Just finished reading Red Menace #2: Drowning in Red Ink

It's a fun, nostalgic run through the Men's Adventure Genre. It harkens back to the early days of the Destroyer and other similar titles as Podge Becket battles the forces of Communism. It's full of wit, action, and suspense. I highly recommend it.

*full disclosure: I did the cover art for the book.

15. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

I just finished reading Deadlocked by Charlaine Harrie and I just started the Hunger Games

16. lradke

Brittney, enjoy the Hunger Games! They are a good quick read! Will you be reading the trilogy all at once?

17. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

ya, i'll be reading them all at once. It's hard to stay in the mind set if you don't read the series all together

18. lradke

Too true! Well, enjoy them!

asleep2shave likes this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Man, everybody is reading great stuff...It's not real easy for me to find books in English here in Istanbul...At least ones I want to read...Whenever I go stateside I try to stock up...
    Most recent: "As Though I Had Wings" autobiography by Chet Baker. Memoirs of the great Jazz trumpet icon and "Prince of Cool"
    And trying to get:"Biocentrism" by Robert Lanza...Lanza is the world renown Biologist and cloning pioneer, who has combined Quantum Physics and Biology to form this therory of everything...

20. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Let's See. I just finished rereading The Federalist Papers, Mark Twains Innocents Abroad, and The Art of Manliness. Currently reading Mark Twains Roughing It, Manvotionals, Emmett Fox's Sermon on the Mount, and some random vampire book SWMBO got from the library. I'm planning on reading the rest of the complete Mark Twain Collection, and John Scalzis(sp?) Ghost Brigade series. Oh, an ongoing thing is working through the examples in Chess Life magazine, about 6 months behind 'cause I'm not to smart at chess. Did I already mention mark Twain? LOL