Off the shelf

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by micah1_8, May 4, 2009.

1. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Huge Chet Baker fan here...I'll have to check out his book!

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Is the vampire book Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter? (I'm actually serious too)

3. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Nope, its called Wicked City by Alaya Johnson. It's about a vampire hunter in the 1920's who is simultaneously trying to figure out who is framing her for murder and trying to find out why an "alcoholic" vampire drink is suddenly killing vampires. Wicked City is a follow up to Moonshine, both Zephyr Hollis novels.

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Just finished reading almost the complete series of Richard Bolitho by Alexander Kent (after reading the Eragon series). Now reading The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt.

5. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

Started h.g. wells' invisible man yesterday and I'm already halfway through. Great book!

6. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

Flew through Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. It's a fascinating morality tale of what might happen if man didn't have consequences for his actions. It's interesting to see how Griffin is so quickly corrupted by his power, which is, coincidentally, his curse. Despite the heavy hand that Wells uses to warn against reckless abuse of accountability, the tone of the book has a great deal of humor in it and reads almost like a slapstick movie. It's great fun, and it's a super quick read. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it already!

wlmcad likes this.
  7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

This sounds a lot like The Picture of Dorian Grey (Oscar Wilde), that was an amazing read about the corruption of a gift/curse. I'll have to look into the Invisible Man when I get a chance! I haven't read any of Wells' books...yet.

8. PBSax

PBSax Member

Have you seen the film "Let's get lost"? Truly amazing. But boy! Wasn't he a wreck of a person.

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Currently reading the Canterbury Tales by ye olde Geoffrey Chaucer

10. mcgils

mcgils New Member

I teach sixth grade, so I am reading "The Hunger Games" to figure out what the hubbub is all about, "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius because I teach Ancient Civilizations, and "American Gothic" because Neil Gaiman rocks!

11. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Haven't seen it, and part of me doesn't want to (nor do I think I want to read his biography). I think it's true that you can get quite a sense of what he was experiencing through his music. Some musicians, I suppose the best musicians, wear their insides on the outside.

PBSax likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Chet was sadly another casualty in the "war with drugs." Not the war you hear politicians talk about, but the personal war he lost. He lost his good looks, his teeth were for a time ruined so that he could not play for a long time. For a time it was thought he would fully come back but that was a brief time before his death. Truly sad, because he had a great voice and was a fantastic player.

PBSax likes this.
  13. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I want to find out opinions about the work of Harry Turtledove. Have anyone read his books ? Do they make a good reading ?

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have "The Man with the Iron Heart" on my to-read list. My step dad gave it to me after he read it and he definitely liked it.

15. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Thanks. I'll start with the WorldWar series, pdf's.

16. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I love to read and I read a lot. But seldom anything useful or "in"

I read primarily Sci-Fi and fantasy. I am on book 74 on the 234 book series from the Star Wars universe. I used the better part of the last 14 months to get here, so I reckon I have a few years before I finish.
    But in these 14 months, I have also read the Harry Potter series and Songs of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). Great books that I consider to be the Proraso of fantasy literature :)

When I do not read sci-fi and fantasy. I like to indulge in the works of Wilbur Smith, I really enjoyed Shantaram. And I have a few crime books waiting to be read. I hear the books about Harry Hole, by Jo Nesbo is supposed to be great.

If it weren't for my kinde, either on my phone or as a tab I probably wouldn't be reading as much as I do. And I am looking forward to "Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving" will be made available on the Kindle again.

KLF likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sir Robert Anderson, various titles at the moment.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Every time I read it, I mist up a bit at the closing.

19. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've read a chunk of his "southern victory" series. It's been a while and I don't remember exactly which books I've read. I think I made it up to his revised version of WWII, which had the south allied with Germany. They're entertaining reading.

KLF likes this.