Oh what a difference a different razor makes!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lothar101, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Well got my new (to me) 1948-50 Super Speed.Didn't think it would make a lot of difference between it and the 63 SS I had been using. Was getting DFS every time with 3 passes out of it. The new old razor gave me almost BBS in 2 passes! Very pleased with the shave thee older vintage Gillette gave. Putting off buying a Weber for at least 2 more weeks :)

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Many of us prefer the older style Super Speeds to the flare tips for exactly that reason. :)

178-bplatoon and Lothar101 like this.
  3. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

What is BBS?

Lothar101 likes this.
  4. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Baby's butt smooth

Lothar101 likes this.
  5. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

That variability is precisely why I now prefer adjustables. I can "play" with the aggressiveness to match the blade, my skin, etc., PLUS, I get to change the setting during the shave (more aggressive to start, and milder for the last past ATG).

Once you have your technique down, and you are getting consistent shaves most/all of the times, it is then a perfect time to play with an adjustable. You can start with something like the Slim, which is fairly "abundant" and not too expensive (certainly a lot less than a new adjustable like the Merkur Progress or even the more expensive Futur). Left to right, 1965 Slim, 37C, Futur:
    [​IMG]

Will

Lothar101 likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like hearing that. I've got a 48-50 on the way. :)

Lothar101 likes this.
  7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

8. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Maybe just slightly more aggressive than the 1963 Super Speed. It might just be the ergonomics work better for me oer a combination of the two.You know an old razor for an old face...lol

BamaT likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Queen of Blades likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Hi Lothar 101 just F.Y.I. neither the Weber DLC or ARC coated heads are out yet. I absolutely LOVE both of the SS Weber handles(BullDog/Wave). However I just got one of the polished stainless heads and I'm not impressed. Honestly other than being stainless it shaves no better than my EJ89, in fact for me at least the EJ shaves smoother and feels better against my face and I've gone back to using it of course YMMV. I still intend to get a Weber DLC or ARC coated head if the ever come out with them again.?. So I.M.O. if your enjoying you new/old SuperSpeed and since you can't buy just a shave head from Weber I'd wait for the coated heads to come back. Just my 2 cents........:)

11. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Funny, I find the old style Super Speeds to be milder than the flare tips. YMMV

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Congratulation Lothar....I love my '52....and my '38 OC-TTO shaves so close, 24 hours later I'm debating if I need to shave....:)

14. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

What is dfs. I got bbs but am stumbled on bbs

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

DFS= Damn Fine Shave. Next step down from BBS. If BBS is completely smooth "ALL" over, DFS is mostly completely smooth all over. For me a DFS with NO irritation, is a BETTER shave than a BBS with irritation. Of course "YMMV", it's all subjective are is it objective one of those.......:)

16. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I agree. The reason I started de shaving was to not get burn and bumps

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The one on the right looks so slick I'd live in constant terror of dropping it.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Contrary to what many people think, wet hands are not slippery.
    Try this, go get a dinner plate, run it under the faucet, get your hands wet, rub the plate - that squeak you hear are your fingers actually trying to grab the plate. You don't get the squeak with slippery hands.

Now, wet SOAPY hands, that's a different story. I have the one on the right (a Merkur Futur) and have no problems what so ever with grip. I don't let my hands get soapy, though they are pretty much constantly wet during the course of my shave.

19. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Yep its the wet SOAPY hands that will drop your razor! :)

20. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Yup