Ok...question number 3 of 177864455

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Robert1955, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I see DE razors and they are much of a likeness, materials may differ from each individual one, some may be ornate and some plain, some have every type of pattern on the handle and others look hand engraved....bottom line...exactly what makes the $300 De razor better than the $10 one...the gap is like a Rolls royce to a mini...they both drive but does the Rolls really out weigh the mini for the colossul financial over spend

Robert.

PLANofMAN, RyX, johnnyflake and 5 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The only reason to buy a $300 razor is to say you have one. People can try to yack about build quality and such. It's all horse feathers. None of the modern DE razors shave any better then the vintage stuff they mimic....and the vintage is usually cheaper.

As for build quality....I have safety razors dating back to about 1890. They have lasted and still work perfect. How do you improve on that??

178-bplatoon, Hembree, RyX and 10 others like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've had fancy and I've had simple. Quite honestly my favorite razors have been my razors under $20 and most under $10. You could probably purchase all my razors for less than $300. Honestly they haven't improve on the vintage just re-named and re--marketed them.

178-bplatoon, Hembree, RyX and 5 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

all my vintage razors were somewhat cheap when they were new..some are rarer than others or in better condition and the price goes up..they all shave very similar.bbs is bbs..some modern razors cost more because of materials and time to make them..

Hembree, RyX, Paul76 and 1 other person like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I should have mentioned paying more for a rare vintage or one in mint condition actually makes sense.

Hembree, mrchick, RyX and 5 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:eek::eek: I can’t believe you said that. There goes your reputation. :eek::rolleyes005:

Hembree, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I can't tell if you're talking about a $300 razor that is 70 years old and very rare, or a newly machined stainless steel razor that goes for $300? Or both? Not being critical, just not sure which one you mean.

Personally, there are some relatively rare razors I would gladly rent (for a reasonable fee and upon signing appropriate agreements) to try out for a few shaves just to satisfy curiosity, but could never justify paying the premium price their rarity demands in the marketplace.

brit, RyX, Paul76 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

If you want a Wolfeman (sp?) you have to pay a lot of money. They are hard to find and those that have them speak highly of them. However, some don't.

There are vintage that are scarce like the Barbasol Floating Head or Gillette RFB. Unless you luck up, you'll pay more than you would from other 1930's DE razors.

So, scarcity and collectability are factors, not utility. There is no better razor than a GEM Micromatic or 1930's Schick Type E, but no one knows about them and they go unnoticed and unappreciated, selling for less than $10 in pristine condition.

brit, RyX, Paul76 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The good ones all do the exact same thing. Hold the razor blade tightly at an appropriate angle, have a handle, which won't slip in your hand and are made of materials, that when taken care of, can---and do, outlast us. Spend what you want, it's your money, but be aware that a $500 Wolfman will shave you no better than a 1956 Super-Speed. Don't believe the hype that there are various degrees of a BBS shave. That's just crazy talk.

10. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

As @gorgo2 implies, modern $300 razors are typically made in small quantities, milled to very high tolerances and from expensive alloys. Modern cheaper razors are mostly cast from zamak (pot metal) in large quantities then chrome plated.

With vintage razors, they were generally made from nickel or gold plated brass and the higher values come purely from the rarity of certain models, and to an extent their condition.

The cost/value of all these razors has very little bearing on how well they shave.

Of course I'm generalizing a lot here but I think you should be able to get the idea.

lightcs1776, brit, Weasel640 and 6 others like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup.

I'm all for someone making something from their own sweat and labor, and selling it for whatever other people are willing to pay for it. As long as everything's above board, correctly represented and all eyes are wide open, go for it.

Though I've never been able or willing to afford a modern milled razor, I greatly admire those who produce them for those who can.

Long live capitalism, free enterprise and consumers' liberty to do whatever they want with their own money.

Hembree, brit, RyX and 5 others like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

They all shave. Find one you like and go with it.

brit, RyX, johnnyflake and 4 others like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just want one of every kind prior to 1950. I can get a great shave from them all.

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  14. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I have gone through a lot of DE razors, mostly vintage Gillettes but also some Merkurs and a couple of Hoffritz ones. I also have quite a few SE razors with vintage GEMs and modern stainless steel razors. I do believe that the build quality is better with either all brass razors or stainless steel ones. BUT at the end of the day, the the shave is basically the same. My favorite DE razor is the humble, $10 Lord L6. The build quality on the L6 is not great but for me the shave is right up my alley. I fully expect the threads to fail on it. So I bought a backup for $12 (due to inflation). It is only one of two razors that I have a back up. The other razor I have a backup for is the Occams SE razor V2, and it came about as a fluke or I would not have gotten it.

In short whatever works for you is your best razor.

eric.

PS: I forgot that I also have a backup for the Gem Damaskeene.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  15. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Are the modern artisan razors worth the extra cost? That all depends on how your view the world. Will your shave be measurably 100% better because you spent twice as much for a razor? If a razor is simply a tool to remove stubble, then no.

Will your emotional satisfaction be 100% higher with the more expensive razor? Maybe. Do you appreciate high quality workmanship? Do you love the feel of perfectly fitted, hand lapped bits of machinery? Do you feel that a tool can be elevated to a work of art? Or perhaps you may just like to reward someone's high quality hand work, versus a machine in some factory.

My son makes Shaving Brushes and sells them at Craft Fairs and local Farmer's Markets. He started doing this when he was 12. I was shocked at how many he sold his first year. Were his brushes worth what he charged? Mechanically, they are the same as any generic brush, and being made by a 12 year old, aesthetically, they were not all that attractive, still he brought in enough cash that first year to buy his own lathe, tools, canopy tent, display table and still have a decent profit. I suspect that 90% of his sales were to people who saw a 12 year old budding capitalist, and wanted to feel good for supporting him. Was that worth the extra cost? That is for you to decide.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Hembree, brit, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This question gets bandied about quite often. It seems to always divide the membership. One faction espouses capitalism, one pragmatism, one vintage, one modern artisan, etc. The fact remains, they all perform the same function. The deciding factor is "how do you want to get there?"
    There's only one correct answer, and it belongs to the one who's forking over the cash.

DesertTime, mrchick, brit and 3 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

This! The thrill of a Wild Find. Many of us have "collections" and that means we've scoured antique & thrift shops, flea markets, garage & estate sales. These collected razors have been purchased under ebay prices because the sellers aren't aware of how much they could have asked for each item.

Classic example is the Gillette #195 Fat Boy. All were marked with year and quarter of manufacture so those that "collect" might want a Birth Year razor. I've been right place/right time to buy near a dozen, along with Slims and Black Beauties. Never paid more than $12 for one. I see them for sale for higher prices but I don't buy those. How many in my "collection"? One Fat Boy & one Slim. The FB was a five dollar purchase and it is one of my favorites because the weight is nice, the nickle plating is in great condition, and after trying out every FB I purchased this particular 1959 (E-4) shaves better. All those other Collector Pieces were traded to forum members for a brush or a tub of soap.

Other vintage razors that I'e kept had similar stories. A Gillette NEW long comb 3 piece on bar handle gives great shave. As good or better than my Fatip Piccolo, or a Blackland Blackbird (loaned by another TSD member). Got a new Yaqi Double Open Comb 3pc that so far is rivaling the NEW LC. The Yaqi is (I believe) cast & chrome plated so it'll never outlast the naked brass of that old Gillette. Neither of those cost over $20 and give me as good or better service than the very expensive Blackbird.

TLDR; Do your research and look for eye candy. When something catches your eye - shop for one! Ebay is a starting point for understanding current values on gear, but don't let it be your only point of purchase if you are building a collection on a budget.

Hembree, mrchick, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I have very few modern razors and none of those are high-end.

I have to agree with several of the previous posts. When you are talking about any DE razor over $100 or so, you are talking about one of a couple of things:
    1. A very rare/unusual vintage razor of interest to collectors because of condition or scarcity (i.e., Gillette Toggle, Darwin, Eclipse Red Ring)
    2. A more common razor which has been completely overhauled and replated, possibly in a high-end material (Rhodium-plated Gillette 195)
    3. An artisanal razor, likely produced in relatively small quantities by a skilled craftsman (e.g., Wolfman razor)
    From a performance perspective, does a premium priced razor shave better? Probably not significantly. There is some latitude for customization (e.g., ordering a razor with a specific gap) and having a personally optimal razor. OTOH, there are those people who will never use a vintage razor unless you could prove CDC-level decontamination.

RyX, mrchick, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

In short with a $300 Razor you are paying for any combination of: Materials, Quality, a North American Product, Rarity/Exclusiveness, etc....

Many of the Razors that are $300 plus are first and foremost made of better materials that are more difficult to machine, and will last a life time. As stated many of them are also made in small quantities. Also a vast majority are made in the U.S. or Canada to very tight quality specifications therefore raising cost as well. Additionally there are a few well known razor makers that make every single razor by hand, and each one is unique, or else in small batches (with waiting lists), lets call them Artisan Razors.

Also welcome to the forum. If you have that many questions, why not post a running question thread in the Shave School or General Shaving Talk sections?

RyX, mrchick, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply

brit likes this.