Old Spice Lime

Discussion in 'Scents' started by olafurson, Feb 21, 2009.

1. olafurson

olafurson Member

For the record, and anyone who cares... here are my thoughts and findings on Old Spice Lime.

First of all, it's been discontinued since (correct me if I'm wrong) the 1980's.

Yes, it's a great scent, and yes, I wish they would bring it back.

There are a few reputable sellers of old stock on eBay, mostly for the aftershave. The cologne is really quite rare, and honestly, not that much more concentrated (if at all) than the aftershave.

As with most forms of Old Spice, anything more than, say, 20 years old has probably "turned". Especially if the green liquid has turned yellowish, it's probably no good.

On the other hand, new Old Spice that has sat for at least, say, 3 years is better than fresh-off-the-shelf. So there you go.

The stuff made in India is... OK. The lime doesn't last as long, and the Old Spice part of it is somehow greener. Perhaps that's because it's new stock?

Cheers, fellas!

2. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

How would you describe the scent? I heard English Leather lime smelled horrible. I would probably be hesitant to try something that is SO MUCH! Those jokers on ebay arent getting my $$$. If it was an old spice/ lime blend I would probably get JoAnna's lime AS and mix it with some OS:)

3. olafurson

olafurson Member

Old Spice Lime smells like Old Spice with a twist of lime.

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, that's the honest truth.

The lime burns off in 5-10 minutes, and you're left with the usual Old Spice middle and base notes. Which, of course, are fantastic.

The reason why English Leather Lime sucks is because it's English Leather with a twist of lime and English Leather sucks. <ducks flames>

Your idea of mixing something lime-scented with regular Old Spice sounds wonderful, and would give you exactly the same effect. Just about everything lime-scented loses the lime pretty quickly anyway, right?

Plus instead of buying OS Lime online, you can save your eBay bucks for something better. ;)

Thanks for writing back!

Cheers!

4. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

classic shaving not too long ago just about 3-4 months or so started selling "fresh lime" as I got some when they first posted it although it is currently out of stock, I am not sure if it the same as the Lime you are referring to or not but it came in a glass bottle although a small one not the normal size, its smell was ok the lime scent was not that noticeable though and seemed like the regular crisp old spice scent was weakened just a little, I like old spice and a lot of lime products but this combo isn't one I would buy again.

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I did check on basenotes and the OS lime did get great reviews and said what you said about it. The lime dissipates and is left with the OS scent with still a hint of lime. All I have is the TSD iced lime but still might give it a try:) I do like EL but hated it until i turned 30 for some reason? I love leather(even fake) scents.

6. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Anyone ever add a few drops of Lime EO to regular Old Spice?

7. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

Since 1990, when P&G acquired the brand.

There are three different formulations of Lime Old Spice. The main difference between all three AS and Colognes is percentage of EO and alcohol. The cologne has roughly twice the amount of essence and about a 1/4 as much the amount of alcohol.

This is generally true with Old Spice in clear glass (like the Lime blends) that have been exposed to sunlight, though it's almost unheard of in painted glass bottles. Some Old Spice Lime is inherently more yellow than green. Here's a key:

Old Spice Wild Lime (60's): Dark yellowish green, almost like anti-freeze
    Old Spice Lime (70's): Solid deep green
    Old Spice Fresh Lime (80's): Dark green, verging on brown. This is the formula that tends to turn worse than any other, and if you see a really brown bottle stay away.

Please explain, as that makes absolutely no sense in the least.

The Indian Lime is closest to the 70's "Lime" blend, hence its deep green color. The reason the lime note doesn't last as long is because of the lack of genuine Lime extract that made the Shulton blend so distinct.

Hope that helped you clear up a few things.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

This was selling on EBay for expensive money, yes?

9. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I would call it "Stupid Money". They are asking around $45 for a full bottle. I love Old Spice, but I have to think $45 is better spent elsewhere.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

ouffffff, so much?????? :eek: