Old Spice mug

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cool Breeze, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have a delima, I love my Old Spice mug but I'm missing the red top. I cannot for the life of me find a top only. I could allways buy another mug with top, but then Ill still have a mug w/no top. That would bug the crap out of me. I dont know if Im ocd or what but half finished or undone things bother me. Besides, if I just buy another one w/top, the old one will get put under the sink , thereby just being a waste.
    I have half a mind to take my mug to wally world and try to match it up but then I would just end up throwing away the new tub.
    My wife says Im wierd but it's bugging the crap out of me.

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I didn't even know they had tops. I have one that has a thin piece of red plastic that covers the soap, is that what you're speaking of?

3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I think so, Ive only seen pictures. It just kills me to comb the flea markets and antique stores for the good stuff and find out I have an incomplete set or Im missing a piece.
    Like you said, if it is just thin plastic, that would explain why its missing.

4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I will keep an eye out for one for you but they are hard to find. They are nothing more than a very thin piece of plastic that went down in the mug and covered the soap when new. Most people would just toss it.

5. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Thank you, the pics Ive seen look like a tupperware type lid, is that the same thing? Anyway, thanks for the lookout.

6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

nice, thanks

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Here's a FYI that may or maynot interest you..As you've seen and others have stated the "Red Plastic Tops" for Old Spice shaving mugs are about impossible to find with or without the OS mug..Are you using the OS mug as a lather bowl or soap storage bowl?

The Kingsley wooden shave bowl tops are relatively cheap,easy to find and will work, BUT although its a VERY close fit, you will need to sand the inner lip of the top to fit inside of the OS mug mouth..This is a kind of good/bad thing as while it's a PIA to sand the lid inner lip, it will allow you to fit the top as snug or loose as you want..Then you can use the kingsley bowl as a lather bowl or for holding loose change, keys etc..Also some vintage wooden tops I've tried will also work..

While this fix is neither genuine nor may it appeal to you looks wise, it can work, will give your OS mug a degree of stackability and could possibly calm your OCD..Which I understand completely by-the-way..;D Things like bowls with no or ill fitting tops and the expense of multiple bowls for the many soaps I now have, is what has led me to store all of my shave soaps in "small Ziploc" bowls and use an unbreakable stainless steel bowl as my lather bowl..Just something to consider....

9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Good advise, thanks.
    The OS mug usually is among the other collectibles on the 3rd shelf (mugs,bowls etc.)
    I pull it down from time to time and face lather with it. I keep a puck of VDH in it. I like to know that all my things are useable. Every time I look at it after seeing pics of mugs w/lids, it bugs me.

I dont keep broken or items missing pieces, it bothers me, kinda like a puzzle missing a piece or misplacing my pocket knife. My wife laughs at me, she says Im wierd.
    :)

Another example of my ocd, I have a Gem mmoc in perfect cond. and a gold Gem clog pruf I just cant get clean. Im gonna have them BOTH replated just so they match. lol.
    Im gonna spend $120.00 on 2 razors I have less than $10.00 in.
    I know, silly. Cant help it.

10. 178-bplatoon

Your not as wierd as you or your wife may think...We all have some kind of phobia...:happy102: I know I have many, like things need to be put back where they belong after use "EVERY" time...All my stuff has it's own place and if its moved it "BUGS" the hell out of me until it's back in place :happy102:.. When its not in its proper place I swear it hurts..:happy097:

Shamrock likes this.
  11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Man, my brother from another mother !
    Nice to know Im not alone on this one.

12. 178-bplatoon

If more people were like us it would be a better world...:happy108:

Cool Breeze likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd just feel outa place :p

14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

178-bplatoon and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Nice, thanks.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Problem solved. Smash the mug. :ahem:

17. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Hush your mouth, I scoured every flea market and antique store in 5 counties for that, I didnt just click and buy.
    No but seriously, if I dont find a cover, Ill pif it to someone who doesnt mind the missing lid.
    It just taunts me, sitting on my shelf all topless and all.
    :)

Talk about awesome, I checked out the link you sent me and come to find out I can order a threaded handle for a nice Treet head I dont have a handle for.
    Thanks again

18. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I bought from them before. They have all kinds of neat stuff.

19. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I took a Betty Crocker cake frosting lid, which is red, cut the soap logo from the container of soap that it contains and taped it to the lid. Then recycled the rest of the frosting and soap containers.
    It doesn't fit super snug but it's red and covers the soap.
    Just a thought. :)

Tdmsu and Tsalagi44 like this.
  20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Now THATS a good idea, thanks