Old Spice Roll-Call

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by TraderJoe, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, joeblackburn!

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I haven't seen it (although that doesn't mean it isn't produced). I'll email the manufacturer, and see if I can get you some info, but unfortunately they aren't the best at returning emails.

For what it's worth, the scent of the aftershave has tremendous staying power on me. I can catch wiffs of it as much as 24 hours later.

3. joeblackburn

joeblackburn New Member

Thank you for looking into it. I haven't seen it anywhere just curious. Has anyone noticed the repackaging of Old Spice. I purchased some the other day at a grocery store here in Wisconsin. Later in the weekend I was looking at some stuff at a Walgreens and noticed they had some old spice that was a red box with gold stripes with old spice written vertically on the right hand side. Are they repackaging old spice?

4. sparky5693

Administrator
    It does look like the bottle is going through another design change. My last bottle of the new formula OS, had a very high tech looking version of the sail boat on the side that I hadn't noticed before.

5. Zachster

Zachster Member

Worse yet, it's going plastic. I was in my neighborhood Walgreen's today and the box has been brightened up and re-labeled as "classic," and inside was a plastic version of the old spice bottle, with horribly modern labeling. I don't know if they've also mucked around with the formula again. This hasn't hit all stores -- later in the day, at the supermarket, I took a look and they still had the older bottle and packaging. I saw this coming with the new wave of OS advertising, clearly meant for a younger crowd -- I guess they figure 20-somethings don't give a hood about quality packaging. I think I'll just buy the Indian version from now on, and use it to fill one of my older OS bottles.

6. sparky5693

Administrator
    It wasn't the red bottle was it? They've had that one around for some time, I think the label it as travel or something. It's still shaped similar to the original of it's the one i'm thinking about. The shulton bottle is shaped more like aqua velva.

7. Zachster

Zachster Member

It was the same shape as always, and more or less the same cream color -- but it had a lot more red writing on it, and was made of hard plastic as far as I could tell. The box was a sort of shiny red, and the bottle was pretty damned small. It was in exactly the same place as OS always is in that store, and the price doohickey excitedly proclaimed "New Item!" The regular bottle was nowhere to be found. I quickly put it back in the box and back on the shelf and walked away hoping it was just a bad dream....

8. sparky5693

Administrator
    Wow.... If they're really moving to plastic, it's a sad day. Forst they change the scent, then they take away the wonderful bottle that we've known the product by for years. :(

Why cant they just leave good enough alone.

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've been "experimenting" with aftershaves recently and decided to try Old Spice. Didn't know the difference between old and new and all that- anyway, I am *very* pleased with Old Spice. Scent lasts nice and long and The Wife heartily approves.

This is an especially pleasant development because I had been using an aftershave lotion that was irritating my skin. Who would figure that an aftershave lotion made for sensitive skin would actually irritate? Results vary indeed!

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I have had the fortune to try both the Shulton formula and the P&G formula and I like both, a lot. Both are very nice and I wouldn't put one before the other, really... They will both be in my rotation!

11. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I've got some Old Spice and some Old Spice Musk aftershave on it's way to me, both the old version by Shulton.

Also, I'm getting some Tryphon American Spice shave soap in the same batch.

Does anyone have any experience w/the OS Musk I'm getting? I'm not usually a musk fan, but we'll see.

I'm getting on a Lime shaving cream kick. Does the OS Lime smell like Old Spice AND Lime, or is it just a lime cream that happens to be made by Old Spice?

Saw a bottle of NOS Old Spice Lime that went for over $30 on ebay recently.

12. sparky5693

Administrator
    I'm not a fan of the musk scent, but it performs great. The lime, is not old spice and lime, it's something totally new, and is one of my favorite lime scents (second to trumper). It's a woody type lime... very nice.

13. freebird

freebird Active Member

add me to the ranks of old spice users. I've used old spice cologne and after shave for as long as I've been shaving, with only a small deviation on occasion. Right now I rotate between o/s and masters bay rum.

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yep, I saw this as well. I have been wondering if the scent-formula istelf has been changed (again), along with the packaging. I'll find out eventually when I run out of current stock, but nonetheless have been curious.

The new plastic version was initially off-putting. It was a fear of Aqua Velva turning to plastic bottles that led me to stockpile.....luckily I also have a stash of Old Spice built up as well :D

But, looking again at the new plastic bottle and design its not all that bad, and has a fresh look to it. However, I prefer the glass and will most likely decant into the glass bottles I have now and never get rid of them until they are selling for thousands on eBay ;)

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Can't STAND Plastic Bottles if glass are available for a pour product. Partly for tradition sake and partially just for quality.

16. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

Its the cologne for me.

marty