Oldest wet shaving forums

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Alex7, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Judoguy

Judoguy Member

I don't undetstand why a South African site would be wrong as I am going to purchase shaving soaps and regular soaps from one to try.Something different is almost always good!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

How do you expect B&B to act? It is a for-profit business, not a platform for free and open discussion. It only appears that way to draw people in, and because that is how it started out.

The South African soapmakers probably did not pay Badger & Blade so that their products could be mentioned. Even worse, those soapmakers could compete with B&B's existing advertisers. That would tend to discourage vendors from being paid members. Yes, it is a##hattery of the first order, and creates an undercurrent of tension in the wetshaving community overall. It is almost certainly profitable for the forum owner, and so unlikely to change. Also, large forums can have substantial operating costs. It is important to keep in mind that most forum owners were scrambling to lock in revenue sources as membership skyrocketed along with operating costs. Hobby forums don't morph terribly well into advertising businesses, so the results are less than satisfactory.

It's not just B&B, The Shave Nook is an advertising vehicle for Bullgoose Shaving, and also quite censored. Those places have many counterparts in other online communities that are every bit as bad. There is also endless complaining about the Big Evil Forum on other, smaller forums. People here at The Shave Den have found a great place, a smaller, well-run, quality community. Damn Fine Shave, and Against The Grain are also fine places to discuss traditional shaving. At the end of the day, that is pretty darned good.

RD89, Tedolph, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  3. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

What are the 2 groups that spawned from Charles Roberts's MSN group(from the Sharpologist article)?

4. Shaver X

The best person to ask is probably Mark Herro, aka Mantic59. His website is https://sharpologist.com/. He is one of the pillars of the current wetshaving revival, and a wealth of information.

Alex7, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  5. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Updated list:
    1. Straight Razor Place Yahoo Group

2. Charles Roberts MSN Group

3. MSN Wetshavers Group

4. Sharprazorpalace forum(the old straightrazorplace forum)

5. Shavemyface forum

6. Badger and blade forum

7. The shave den forum(was created in 2007)

8. Theshavingroom.co.uk forum(was created in 2009)

9.Subreddit wicked_edge(was created in 2010)

10.Romanian forum forum.barbieritdelux.ro(was created in 2011) I am Romanian, that's why I've listed it

11.Shavenook forum(was created in 2012, was closed down April 2023 )

12.Romanian Wet Shaving Society(Facebook group created on 9 December 2014)

13.Damnfineshave forum the second incarnation(was created in 2015)

14.Atgshaving forum(was created in 2016)

15.The Facebook group Straight Razor Place Facebook(was created on 1 March 2018)

16.Theshavingcadre forum(was created on 14 March 2018)

17.The new straightrazorplace.com forum(created July 2019)

18.Romanian Facebook group Romanian Wet Shaving Club(created on 22 November 2019).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    brit, Bflotom2 and Edison Carter like this.
  6. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

I'm not sure but I was under the impression that Shave my face was actually a spin of of the old MSN Wet Shaver Group; making it older then sharp razor palace.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Nice avatar :).

8. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Well, I have a few thoughts i would like to express. I hope I don't get banned! First let me say that I also got banned from B&B and I think the reason is that I treated everybody the way I would like to be treated, i.e. if i say something dumb or ill-informed i would like someone to point that out to me and explain why. Not everybody thinks like that. I was constantly getting in trouble over there and i couldn't understand why. It's not the moderators' fault. They just respond to "complaints" and they don't want to deal with any at all so I concluded that it is the members that are the problem. They simply want to be affirmed in their purchasing decisions, lifestyles, etc. Examples would be me saying that paying $400.00 for a strop is ridiculous, or saying that someone who brags about their hot dog, canned saurekraut and baked bean dinner in the gourmet forum seems to have a lot of salt in their diet generated "complaints". I think I learned my lesson and now keep all negative opinions to myself, only positive opinions are posted.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nothing wrong with critique and criticism. It's all in the delivery.

That said, let's not bash other forums. We all know TSD is the best. Quality over quantity.
    ;)

Eeyore, Keithmax, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  10. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Yes, basically I was trying to say something nice about the moderators at B&B; I guess that it didn't come out that way. Changing up the delivery let me put it this way-everyone here has been really nice to me here and AFAIK I haven't gotten into trouble yet! It seems that people here keep things in perspective and don't take themselves too seriously. That makes this a much less stressful place to be.

Shaver X, PLANofMAN, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There's a larger Cadre of "traditionalists" here than other forums. Sure there's been lots of talk about new razors, but by and large, most of us shave with vintage tools, and have a live and let live attitude towards how you want to shave. About the only people that aren't welcome is the electric shaver crowd, and that's mostly because we don't get why people would willingly do that to themselves. We're old fashioned that way.

Besides, "how to fix a Braun 5000 quad coil titanium max," just isn't our wheelhouse.

Keithmax, Shaver X, Bflotom2 and 4 others like this.
  12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If anyone ever DOES ask that here, I'm going to politely direct them to our Cartridge Razors sub-section of the Safety Razors forum.
    :happy097::happy097:

13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I'm on other forums and wouldn't be if I could upload a pic from my phone without having to deal with Tapatalk.
    No place is as focused on vintage hardware like TSD in my experience.
    Since I happen to be in Tapatalk, here's my new Dirty Bird scuttle that came in the mail today. Please don't ban me lol.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Enrico, Shaver X and 5 others like this.
  14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

There was a forum where the owner did not want to upgrade. This led to creation of another site. I thought it was DFS v2, but could be wrong. Teiste was involved in both forums.

Shaver X likes this.
  15. Shaver X

The second iteration of Damn Fine Shave was created when the owner of The Shave Nook booted a bunch of mods and admins. These folks acquired and revived the long-dormant Damn Fine Shave.

IMHO, the overall history of wet shaving forums can now be lumped together as the Forum Phase of the wetshaving revival. This is because the main impetus of traditional shaving, as well as most other hobbies, has shifted to social media. Distinctions of which forum was first, best, biggest, oldest, etc. are no longer meaningful. The ecosystem's huge contribution as a whole in its 20-year dominance is what will have a lasting impact.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true. The age demographic for vintage wet shavers tends to skew to towards older people who may not use social media. The community aspect becomes much more important in that case. The younger guys who want to shave like grandpa ultimately will go hang out where grandpa is even if only lurking before showing off what they learn in these places on social media among their peers. Point is the knowledge base flows out from these places into social media not the other way around and it is the community aspect that proverbially cleans the knowledge waters ahead of the social media repeaters.

Eeyore, brit and Tedolph like this.
  17. Shaver X

Years ago, wetshaving forum discussion centered around learning about shaving techniques and tools. It does look like the forums have become much more a social hangout than before. I disagree about the social media part, though. Many people of all ages are now on Facebook, YouTube, and other social media sites. Signing up at one of those venues is no different than signing up at a forum. Also, the forums are really just another aspect of social media, albeit one with an older user interface than the rest.

But there are a zillion places on the Internet where they can learn about traditional wetshaving now. They don't need to hang out with grandpa to learn that, although he might be present at some of the sites. That is assuming that young men want to shave like their grandfathers. Many people are turning to traditional shaving for environmental reasons. Less plastic waste, they reason, cuts down on plastics pollution.

Although that was true many years ago, it's not that way anymore. YouTube has a lot more content now that the forums. Reddit is forum-like, but different in structure, organization and management than most forums. Facebook has plenty of shaving groups, and there are a plethora of shaving blogs. There are also a multitude of online stores that have informational content. Think of social media as forums, but with a different user interface.

None of this is meant to disparage forums. They served their purpose well at a time when there were very few alternatives. The knowledge they once held almost exclusively is now widely disseminated, and is being advanced in many other places. That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    As the Admin of the SRP group on FB with 6000 ish members I am going to have to wholeheartedly disagree that it is a "Good Thing"
    Although there are a few good ideas out there they are FEW and far between, social media has spawned the YouTube stars and not the Info/Skills vids like we had in the past

The FB groups literally breed stupid, old, de-bunked BS daily, it is a Newbie Minefield.. These Forums Diluted out the misinformation for the most part. New ideas are thoroughly tested and debated, the wheat is separated from the chaff and Newbs stand a decent chance and getting a solid start in this hobby..

BUT

Places like FB do attract more newbs so it is a double edged sword, I can tell you on the SRP FB site we direct them to here and SRP only..
    TSD has solid info and a very friendly atmosphere, SRP without a doubt has the most extensive SR database...

ps: Although I won't name names there is a new SR shaver on the FB group right now that is also a new member here on TSD

That poor kid has himself so twisted chasing the BS on FB that he is 3 months in and still can't get it "straight" (pun intended)
    If he had stayed here on TSD rather than chasing idiots on FB, I bet he would be doing WAY better, he has the drive but is just getting TMI and most of it bad..
    It is sad to watch, the poor kid is just spinning circles, I bet he gives up the SR and goes back to only DE shaving ..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    PLANofMAN, brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. Shaver X

That is not knowledge being advanced, it is disinformation. The same thing has happened a LOT on the forums over the years. True, it debunked here on The Shave Den, but that is not necessarily true on the other forums. Also TSD is friendly, welcoming and civil. That is in marked contrast to many other forums, which are nasty little snake pits. You mention one Facebook group as being full of it. Look at YouTube, with Mantic59's channel, not to mention Razor Emporium, Geofatboy, and what seems like thousands of others. or /r/wicked_edge on Reddit. Dr. Shave's Book of Shaving and other vendor websites, not to mention blogs a-plenty. All are great sources of wetshaving tutorials and learning.

Much of that information was first disseminated on BBS-style forums, like this one. You don't consider it a job well done that such information is now so widespread? It is only natural that the wetshaving culture started on the forums will be developed in many different places. That seems like a good thing to me.

brit and Tedolph like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Don't bother ;-)

I went from the "being pissed of getting banned there" phase via the "being proud" and "don't care" phases to the "wow, does that place still exist!?" phase?

TSD is a terrific place, full of friendly people.

brit and Tedolph like this.