Oldest wet shaving forums

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Feb 22, 2019.

1. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

Most forums have their own form of Dramapopolis. Most ofthe US and UK forums started over splits and differences. On Facebook it's just easier to to splinter off because no infrastructure ramp up is needed. It's the nature of the internet.

Shaver X likes this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have a patent on using Dramapopolis…………..send me a '34 Aristocrat and we'll call it even....LOL!!:D

SparrowPoint likes this.
  3. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

I would but I don't use DEs. Can I send a 96 year old gent dressed in a tux to stay with you?

9nein9 likes this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I’ll pass, just finally got rid of one myself .

5. someone told me late 90s........... rsvp

6. LaneP

LaneP Member

This is a great site but the only suggestion I have for the owners and maintainers here (and maybe no one else agrees with me and will think I'm in outer space) is that the posts would be a lot easier to read if the background were changed to something like a white color. Due to my age and poor eyesight I have a real tough time reading some posts because there is not as much contrast between the color of the font and the background. I wish my eyes were younger but they don't make them any more :)

Keithmax likes this.
  7. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

do
    I'm not an owner and/or maintainer as you put it, but your comment got me to thinking. These kinds of things often have a setting, or settings, where you can change how you view it. I began looking after I read your comment and found this one does as well.

Go to the top right-hand corner of the page where you will see your "user name", "inbox", and "alerts."

Place your cursor on your username LaneP which will open a drop-down window with several options. One of these options will say "Preferences."

Click on preferences which will open another menu with several choices. At the top is a drop-down menu titled "Styles."

Click styles which will open a menu of display choices. While I didn't try them all, I did try one that is titled "Cool Blue." Click that one and "BE SURE" to go to the bottom of that window and click "save changes" before you close the window. After you do that refresh your screen if it doesn't automatically change, or just click on the title of something. You will now have nice shades of blue where you see shades of brown on this style, which by the say is called "vintage." And the backgrounds for text in responses is in white with, I think, the contrast you want.

????

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  8. LaneP

LaneP Member

You are a life saver! Works great, thank you!

brit, S Barnhardt and Chuck Naill like this.
  9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Everyone's eyes are different. White background is too bright for me to read.

For websites where I can't change the colors, sometimes highlighting what I'm trying to read helps increase the color contrasts between font and page.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Paperboy

Article Team
    You can also change your forum display settings by scrolling to the bottom of any page. Left side. Click on the word under the Home/Forums/etc. Bar. The default is "Vintage."

Edit: you will need to use the directions posted by @S Barnhardt if you have the "mobile" display setting active.

11. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Thanks! I learned something today!

LaneP and brit like this.
  12. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Thanks for this great piece of history.

Shaver X likes this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

You're welcome!

I think it is important to note that the traditional shaving revival began before the shaving forums first appeared. Myriam Zaoui and Eric Malka founded The Art of Shaving as an artisan business in 1996. Emily Witherspoon opened Em's Place in 1997, and still sells shaving products today. The "Three Ts" - Geo. F. Trumper, Truefitt & Hill and Taylor of Old Bond Street - never stopped selling traditional shaving products. The same goes for Parker, Merkur, SOTRACO and many other shaving products companies. In searching for the genesis of the wetshaving revival, one needs to look back prior to the forums. IMHO, at least.

Alex7 and brit like this.