Omegapd's Southern Style Hush Puppies

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by omegapd, Aug 10, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Description:
    Here's a basic recipe for some excellent "plain jane" Hush Puppies. Adding in peppers or whatever else you'd like is optional.

Time: N/A
    Difficulty: Easy
    Serving Size: 20-25 puppies

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups of corn meal
    1 1/2 cups of water
    1/3 cup of milk
    1 tbs. Vegetable Oil
    2 tsp. grated onion
    2 Eggs (beaten)
    1 cup Flour
    3 tsp. Baking powder
    2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. Sugar
    Whatever fat you choose (we use the Crisco Vegetable stuff)

Instructions:
    In a pot, and on Hot heat, cook the corn meal and water, stirring it until it starts to turn stiff and begins to roll into little balls. ( not long to do. 6-10 mins)

Remove it from heat. Add in the milk, oil and onion and stir it until it becomes smooth. Gradually stir in the beaten eggs.

In another bowl, measure the flour by sifting and blend in the dry ingredients and add to the corn meal batter and blend in well.

Heat whatever fat you choose at least 1 inch deep to 375 degrees. (I use a Fry Daddy and skip the stovetop heating here)

Drop the batter into the fat by spoonfuls (tablespoon sized for us but you can choose- we've also used an ice cream scoop with good results in the Fry Daddy). Fry 6-7 minutes. They should be soft on the inside and still kind of doughy- and crispy on the outside.

That's it! Fry up some fish,make some grits, pour the sweet tea and you have a wonderful Southern meal for a Sunday afternoon.

2. MsJoeD

MsJoeD New Member

I haven't had hushpuppies in a long time. I may have to make these this weekend. Thanks for the recipe omegapad :)

3. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Thanks Eric. Just the recipe is making me :drool.

4. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Cool, thanks Eric.

I think some chopped jalapenos and Cayenne pepper would be a nice addition.

Can you eat these with buttery honey or is this sacrilegious? Not that it matters, I'm not much of a religious person anyways.

5. omegapd

omegapd New Member

;) anyway you want, Bong. We just use ketchup down here, though. :D

6. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Ooooo pass the buttery honey plz Bong!