One Stone Honing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Apr 17, 2021.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You know I was reminded today about a system that we messed with over a decade ago

It flies in the face of the people that claim there is a push to buy multiple hones and stones, there is no such thing, BUT it does require that you must learn to hone :)

See many times people ask what do I need for this hobby, but they want the "Fast & Easy" path, well the fastest and easiest path from dull to shaving is a Synthetic Hone progression / ladder

Sure there are other paths, but none work as consistently as a quality set of hones

Now lets take a second and look at the other option :)

Premise = 90% of honing is done at the bevel set, oh you might want to argue that 90% number a bit, but once you achieve enough honing prowess to pass the 1k Shave Challenge, you will see I am about dead on LOL

So once you accept that fact, then you realize that the last 10% is pretty easy to get through

Hence the "One Stone Hone" can be accomplished with just about any finisher you can use effectively

I have a few of these vids on my channel some using the King 1k some using the Chosera

This one could be VERY economical if you use the King 1k and the Chinese PHIG you can have a system for about $80 that would be hard to beat

We found that it hits at about a 70-80% the first time through, some razors need a little more finesse on the stones

Don't ever say Honing needs to be expensive, but YOU need to learn it....

2. Very good! Thanks for the videos!

Of the course the cheapest method to hone a razor is to pay for someone else to do it!

3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

4. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Well, I only have one stone- a cheap, small something mounted on a wooden paddle with the name "Col. Conk" on the wooden part. If I had to guess, it might be something like 12,000 grit. That and Cromium dioxide paste on the suede side of my strop have been all I use to keep my edge in shaving condition for many years now. Seems to work fine with maybe 40 laps on the stone and pasted strop once per month.

Am I doing something wrong? What kind of a stone do I have? Oh, it cost about $19.00 as I remember.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Steve56, gssixgun and Billyfergie like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You ain't doing anything wrong, you are following a "Maintenance Routine" and they work very well .

I did much the same when I started, I had two razors a Illinois 581 and a very special Ouachita Stone that the barber that taught me picked out as a Maintenance hone...

I did much like you for over 20 years, simple routine after 10 shaves to keep the edge at it's best..

As to the hone you have, it has been over a decade since I even held one of those Conk Hones, back then they seemed to be a replica on an old barber hone..
    If it works for you don't fix it

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

As close to a "One Stone Hone", was more of a Two Stone Hone.
    I set the bevel on several razors, then used a very hard and fine grained JNAT, with several Naguras for different slurries. It works fine, but wasnt my Cup Of Saki.

Steve56, Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You can do it with Jnats, but one that’s both fast enough to set a bevel and fine enough to finish is not common, IOW tends to be pricey. This is one that will, I glassed the Gold Dollar on a water glass and it would not cut paper or skin. Keep in mind that the bevel is still well formed, there’s just no apex on it. The stone could set a bevel that’s in worse shape, but there’s no point in wearing an uncommon stone down just prove a point.

Anyway, the glassed bevel went to medium 1200 diamond plate slurry to set the bevel. Next thin diamond plate slurry, two rounds. Finally thin tomo nagura slurry to finish and the edge is as good as it can be.

1B4351B2-1427-434C-B4CD-A34ED5C3217B.jpeg

Tedolph, DaltonGang and gssixgun like this.