One Thing You Really Want In Your Den?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

That's in great shape. I'm really happy with my Slim and I thought that it had killed my razor addiction, but seeing all these pictures of Fatboys, Toggles, and other vintage Gillettes really makes me want to buy them.

Matt0210, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I've got everything I need and want for my shave den. However, I do miss having a "brick" of Cella shave soap.
    If anyone knows of a great Cella deal please let me know.

Matt0210 likes this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Matt0210 and Demidog like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

What I would love to have is a second bathroom. Then I could share that with my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt0210, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

What I want is the Den itself. Currently set up in the master bath which has an 8 foot long counter with two sinks. Somehow I only have 2 feet of it. I've already taken over another bathroom in the house for a different hobby so my bargaining power is low right now. There is a third bathroom though. Maybe I'll wait until she is out of town again on business and secure another bathroom.

RyX, PickledNorthern and Matt0210 like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Bingo. Just completely move out of the master? Your wife will feel spoiled. Mine did. Her enthusiasm for my hobby increased exponentially when she no longer had to share any counter/cabinet/shelf space. Plus I clean my bathroom and she never has to anymore.

A couple of weeks ago, she even told me all of my stuff looked kind of cool.

Matt0210 and RyX like this.
  7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Maybe there's hope for me yet. Only problem is that I can't completely stay out of the master bath. To get to the master closet you have to go through the master bath. Of course she probably wouldn't mind if I vacated that too. There's always the garage.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Matt0210, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have way more gear than I can ever use. I have not bought anything in a while. What I would like at this point is a higher sink and one piece counter. I think about ribcage height instead of waist height. I am not a tall guy, but the sink is way too low for face splashing.

PickledNorthern and Matt0210 like this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Another Martin de Candre "brain bowl".

lradke, Matt0210 and PickledNorthern like this.
  10. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Sarah-S if you want a pink camouflage brush PALADIN has a bubblegum resin stock that is stunning. Pink as camouflage is no joke. In WW2 the british studied which colours were the most difficult to observe for the critical reconnaissance flights.A sky blue was first used, but eventually a white with pink cast was found extremely difficult to see at dawn and dusk when most missions were flown. The most famous recon pilot was WARBURTON.
    When the stealth program went to study camouflage again; pink and a digital pattern not unlike the german WW1 lozenge ( again employng pink as one colour) was determined to be the best. Our macho USAF brass would have none of it and went for sexy black. That WW1 german pattern may have been the work of swizz/german artist Klee. He served in WW1 painting aircraft and his studies of colour and later works of colour squares ( he had motility issues in his later years) are still definitive for artists and color studies in many fields.

Jim99, Matt0210 and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I have recently reduced my quantity of kit to items I have found superior after a long learning curve. After all this time I have two simple items on my wish list; a Dopp bag of quality leather should I again travel and some dedicated shaving towels.

Matt0210 and PickledNorthern like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That's fascinating. I had no idea it could be used for anything other than flamingo hunting. As for the stock, since I do not know how to use a lathe, I still couldn't make a handle from it, but I appreciate the info, nonetheless.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Matt0210 likes this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Interesting thread.

I would love to have an early kampfe brothers or an old Gem junior bar razor. They were works of art!

Matt0210 likes this.
  14. Sid James

Sid James Well-Known Member

NOS Iwasaki Tamahagane Western.

Arun and Matt0210 like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

Careful what you wish for.

My son came back home from college the other day and promptly moved into my bathroom where proceeded to give his tuba a bath. Apparently this involves sixteen hours of labor, three tanks of hot water, a lot of screwdrivers, mallets and dowels, and a bottle of STP.
    This would be fine, as I am glad he takes care of it, but it was bad enough that I had to ask my wife for permission to use her bathroom yesterday, and here was my den this morning:

[​IMG]

I won't show you the floor. [IRRITATED]

16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I just had this scary thought about what the the cleaning threads in a tuba forum must look like. (Considering how much we debate how to clean a vintage razor.)

17. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Gillette TV Superspeed. I let my sis in law's husband borrow it, then they promptly got divorced, and he walked off with it. :(

Out of everything I regret getting rid of, I really miss that razor!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern and Matt0210 like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

I have not seen it, but he has talked about tearing apart old horns that haven't been cleaned in twenty years, and says it is the most disgusting thing he has ever seen, and that in some of them stuff literally grows in there like algae. Ever see the floor around the tuba section after a show? They dump spit valves like cows peeing on flat rocks, and people can slip and fall in it .

He won't even play his without brushing his teeth first if he has eaten recently. At least he's neat about something.

Matt0210 likes this.
  19. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

How long did it take to finish off the last one?

Matt0210 likes this.
  20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

It lasted more than 18 months with regular use and it took a concerted effort (30+ days in a row) to finish it off in the end.
    I ordered one on the weekend, so wont have to want much longer:D