Only in the Philippines

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Woknblues, Sep 21, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Im really thinking that maybe we can make this happen sometime next year. It would be rather cool and if the dollar is so strong there, it shouldnt be that much....i think airfare would be the big obstacle.

2. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

You can still catch airfares from the US for about $700 r/t, but that is way in advance, figure $800+ for the day you want. Other things to consider... Never, never go to SEA on a vacation during the months of April or May. It is oppressively hot and humid here.

SEA is a plunge into something completely different. Your typical package tourist would never be able to hack it here. The 24 hours it takes to get here alone is too much for many... Which is why they don't come. Also, you have to think "on the fly" so to speak. The payoff is huge, though. This is more of the trip of a lifetime for most people.

Your experience here would be significantly different than say, my western Caribbean cruise on Norwegian out of N.O a few years back.... Fancy shmancy and wow!, you might even spot a local. Not my cup of Joe, but it was a family thing, and it was fine for that reason alone.

I would recommend that you start your trip online, soaking in as much info as you can. A great place to start is lonely planet. You can see many FAQ type things, and post and receive decent responses, though you can also find trolls and whatnot, just like everywhere else but here, I guess... ;)

Since I do have a lot of good contacts here, my offer is this.

I can book/recommend transportation within the country. This will involve air, sea and likely bus, while in the country. You will find when you get here that transportation is basically on a first come, first served type of format. SEA transportation is nearly universally deregulated. You just hop on, same day. Yes, that goes for air travel as well. And advance booking generally doesn't save you any money either. But, piece of mind goes a long way.

I can also book/recommend accommodation. I have an eye for value. I am not a Michelin 4 star guy. I want the best bang for my buck. I will pay more if I see value, but that's about it. I know about 2 or 3 great places in a few towns that I would recommend. Prices are, as I have mentioned, essentially low. The resort I like in Boracay (the beach) is about $40-$100 per night, the hundred dollar one being a two bedroom suite. You can go diving, snorkling, exploring, dune buggies, cock fights, whatever. You can sit at the bar under the shade and drink until you can't walk straight. You can party until 4 AM, and walk back to your room on the beach, and sit and watch the sunrise.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Man.......this is very generous of you. Im really interested in going. All i can think of though is getting detained and never being heard from again if i went solo ;P

4. Johnmw1

Johnmw1 New Member

I must say that it is a very intoxicating lifestyle, and it has crossed my mind more than once about settling there permanently, believe me our dollar goes a very long way over there.

And the girls are to die for............not that I'm available anymore but.....:D

Cheers
    John

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Sounds like a REALLY nice place.

Better make that post-card REALLY nice to match guys :D

6. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Oh, OK. I'm actually learning Spanish here and looking for excuses to practice it. But going to the Philippines to laze around and not speak Spanish is OK too.

Coconut oil massages? Shaves? Food? Let's book the TSD Holiday Tour! ::