Opal Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rmcintyre84, Nov 15, 2019.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I can't use vintage or modern safety razors, so I thought I'd enjoy the nostalgia of shaving through other hardware and software. I picked up a never-used Opal Brush. I liked it because it's larger than other vintage brushes. We'll, at some point during it's first use, it cracked. I couldn't get a decent lather with it anyway, but I figured that would come with practice. I have an Ever-Ready to try in the next few days. IMG_20191115_070905353_BURST000_COVER_TOP-600x800.jpg

kjbarth, brit, Douglas Carey and 6 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm confused. What does that leave? Straight razors, electric razors, sharpened fingernails?

Edit: sucks that the brush cracked. Since the handle is shot you could always extract the knot and use it in another handle. If you set it deeper, I imagine it would perform quite a bit better.

3. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I use a Gillette 5. Despite years of trying, I can't use DEs, SEs, or injector razors. And yes, I did try a straight. It was not pretty. Think "Carrie" at the prom.

The knot is not impressive enough to reset it.

kjbarth likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It appears to be a boar brush. One thing about it is that it takes a good number of shaves to break in. To me, a well broken in boar brush is very nice to use.