Open comb adjustable.......

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rollsshaver, Dec 3, 2008.

1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

ANyone ever seen a production open comb adjustable? I am talking to a local machinist about modifying one of my Slims. He says he can make a new plate for it that would turn it into an open comb. Before I do all that though, can I just buy one somewhere?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Well, the non pocket edition Old Types were in a sense adjustable. According to Gillette you could change the exposure of the blade by loosening the knob. The New Improved razors with the long stem design worked the same way. I know it's not what you were talking about, but they were/are adjustable open combs.

3. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Yeah, while I appreciate your input, I am looking for a 1-9 type open comb. I reckon I will just have to make one..............................

4. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

What might be easier to turn into an open combed is a Progress.
    Mount it in a vise and turn the safety bar into an open comb.
    Maybe somebody should commission Mer, I don't have a mill.

5. WhyAreYouMe

WhyAreYouMe Active Member

I remember when we could only imagine things like this, let alone open comb slant adjustables.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd considered doing something similar to a Fatboy. Braze up the lather slots and cut teeth into the plate.

While there's nothing stopping you from doing the same to a Slim, the early models of Fatboy are easier to disassemble without special tools, and are not crimped together like later model Fatboys and all of the Slim models. I hadn't considered having an entirely new baseplate made.

Edit: This is a 15 year old thread, man. Got me excited for nothing...

Enrico likes this.
  7. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

(Travelling in my Time Machine back to 2008.)

Well, almost any razor can be called "adjustable" then. Even if you don't play with the knob, you can add shims.
    :)

Now since people consider a razor with multiple base plates to be adjustable, what about the Tatara, which has open comb base plates as an option? Or does that not count because the base plates are not all sold as one in a package?

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't consider those adjustable razors, unless the person using it is in the habit of swapping out baseplates in the middle of the shave.

If the only purchase option is with multiple plates, it's an adjustable. If the plates are sold separately, it's a customizable razor. It's a fine distinction, and it could be argued either way. I think my definition of the difference holds up though. Or, at least makes it a bit less confusing to think about.

Edit: Now that I think about it, if you have to take the razor apart to change the aggressiveness, it shouldn't be called an adjustable. It should have been called a customizable razor to begin with, not an adjustable.

9. ShaversRUs

Or, as I said in another thread, "configurable."

In any case, "the pricing scheme/purchase option" the vendor comes up with should not come into consideration when trying to decide whether it's adjustable/configurable/customizable. If I have a Karve in my drawer with several baseplates, and a Rockwell 6S, does it really matter in what manner I acquired them? Maybe I bought the Karve and its plates in one eBay auction.

EDIT: To be clear, I still consider multiple base plates to be configurable/customizable, rather than adjustable.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    WhyAreYouMe, Lancre and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. StewB

StewB Member

I realize this is a really old thread, but the answer is now "yes." The Pearl Flexi is offered in an open comb version. I have the safety bar version and IMO it's quite a nice quality razor.

WhyAreYouMe and Ron R like this.
  11. ShaversRUs

I tried the safety bar version once, on the lowest setting, and didn't like it since I found it too aggressive. I will give it another chance in the future.

12. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Oh, wow! Really sounds like a useless tool to me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  13. WhyAreYouMe

Oh sorry. I thought I was on a shaving enthusiast forum.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. StewB

StewB Member

Now we can add another modern OC adjustable: Seems Parker now has an OC Variant.

jwr3265 and John Beeman like this.
  15. WhyAreYouMe

I guess the next step for Parker is to their Semi Slant onto an adjustable version.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. WhyAreYouMe

Whether it's an open comb or closed, what does it matter? What is the actual definition anyway?

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They already offer slants, Closed comb, open combs, adjustable closed combs,a and adjustable open combs.Look at their site.

19. brit

brit in a box

hoping for an OC adjustable slant toggle in titanium..with the lazer sight of course..:D:eatdrink047:..and not that crappy non heated one..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  20. WhyAreYouMe

Maybe in platinum with the added Stahly vibrating feature that could supply power to the lazer or perhaps LED, or both so you have to buy two of them.

brit likes this.