Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Lovely amigo! :happy088::happy088:

clint64 likes this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Mark .

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Boojum1 and clint64 like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

5AB566D4-13C3-4618-9814-63628A031CB3.jpeg

OCtober 28 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Glastonbury
    1936 Gillette Aristocrat
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Glastonbury AS

jimjo1031, stanko, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  5. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

OCtober 2017 - day 29.

[​IMG]

Pearl.
    Gillette 365 Stainless (1).

Yaqi model R151016-S2.
    Jabones by Luna "Geranio romero y clavo".
    PeReJa Lavender EdC.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 29, 2017
    Wolfman OC Ti (0.74mm) with Triad Ti Aristocrat
    Personna 74 (14)
    Wild West Brushworks 30mm Tuxedo
    Reef Point Tranquility
    Fine Lavender

[​IMG]

7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Since it is Sunday I decided to give the Rolls a try. The blade is looking pretty good but I'm not sure it is really ready so this might get interesting.

I washed and showered and said my prayers and faced Mecca and began.

First I built up a nice lather using the Zenith Horsehair (second actual shave) and the Old Spice puck. The brush really feels great and I love the Zenith 506 handle and it really likes lots of water.

The first pass was somewhat tentative but the blade wasn't tugging and there was no irritation. First pass wasn't very close and that's fine. The second pass was better but it was still not quite as efficient as I like. After a face rinse and alum rub I did some final touchup with lots of stretching and all the little techniques to get the hardest spots and then some TOBS Eton College as aftershave.

[​IMG]
    In all the final result was a PDG- shave for the day. It was comfortable, got around all the irritated places from the SE2 and looks and feels fine. The Zenith brush is still shedding but only seven hairs this time instead of eleven. I'll give it a few more shaves to see if it settles down. I did contact the seller and he is aware that some Zeniths have shown the same symptoms so all should be fine regardless.

8. Boojum1

OCtober 29, 2017

Shavemac AGT LE Silvertip D01 Two Band
    Mike's Natural Soap - Sweet Pumpkin Spice
    Wolfman Ti WR1-OC with Darwin
    Personna Med Prep
    Fine Fresh Vetiver
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

[​IMG]

9. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

OCtober 29, 2017

Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin Travel Size Can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Gem Micromatic OC
    Blade: Gem Blue Star (3rd or 4th use)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Family Dollar Spice AS

I have no idea how much longer this travel size can of Barbasol is going to last. This is shave #15 and it still hasn't showed signs it is about to give up. I watched the Minnesota / Cleveland game this morning then took a quick shower and then shaved. It was a DFS too. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
    sotd 10.29.2017 1.jpg

10. Jan Zoethout

OCtober 2017 - day 30.

[​IMG]

Vintage Gillette NEW (LC, standard, made in Canada) / Windrose handle.
    Gillette 365 Stainless (2).

Yaqi model R151016-S2.
    Jabones by Luna "Higo y vainilla".
    PeReJa Lavender EdC.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Menthol Monday's OC Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Fine Snake Bite
    Jayaruh #229
    Gillette Sheraton
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Fine Snake Bite Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #229 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gillette Sheraton razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 30, 2017
    Personna 74 (15)
    Fine Platinum Shave Stick
    Fine Platinum Aftershave

[[​IMG]

13. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Today is the last of the Open Combs for this month; a Fatip Piccolo.

The Good & Bad. The Good is that it shaved like all the Fatips I've used and that I still haven't found any blade alignment issues. I simply put the cap down, drop the blade on the cap, put base plate on the cap/blade assembly the put the handle on the post. Once the handle is close to snug turn the whole assembly over and snug down.

The Bad is the handled machining. This example show obvious start stop points on about half of the guilloche cuts. It could have been a dull blade but most likely simply inattentive operator. This isn't something that can effect performance but it do look fuggly.

Soap was again the old Old Spice and the brush was an even older Strongset boar. The shave was a close. comfortable, effortless two pass with only minor touchup; PDG but not PDG+. Between the two Fatips this month I really prefer the Grande and since the heads are close to if not identical, the difference must be the handles.

The aftershave today was Veggie and I really like it.

[​IMG]
    Tomorrow a short summary of all the pairings for the month.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN OCtober 29th
    [​IMG]

Gillette New Short Comb
    Treet New Steel
    Stirling Boar Brush
    Stirling Baker Street soap
    Stirling Mountain Man AS

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 31, 2017
    Personna 74 (16)
    CRSW Jeff’s Soap
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

16. Jan Zoethout

OCtober 2017 - day 31.

[​IMG]

Vintage Gillette NEW (LC, RFB, made in England) / Apollo handle.
    Gillette 365 Stainless (3).

Yaqi model R151016-S2.
    Haslinger Schafmilch.
    Haslinger Sandelholz ASB.

The difference between the English RFB (Raised Flat Bottom) NEW and the standard NEW is the lower part of the bottom plate.
    Left: NEW LC, RFB, made in England.
    Right: NEW LC, standard, made in USA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last "OCtober 2017" post - it was fun ... ;)

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday's OC Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Colgate Mug Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #229
    Gillette NEW LC
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Colgate Mug Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #229 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gillette NEW LC razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

18. Norcalnewb

D72476F4-01FF-464C-B308-9E60F3F10156.jpeg

OCtober 31 SOTD:

30DC LE Brush
    MWF
    Gillette Sheraton
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman Special Reserve

Jayaruh, jimjo1031, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  19. jar

jar Well-Known Member

The Month in Review:

This month was a series of comparison pairings with Open Comb razors that was broken into two parts. In the first Phase five Gillette OCs were paired with five newer OCs. Surprisingly, the newer razors actually came out on top in three of the five pairings.

[​IMG]
    The first phase:

• RazoRock Old Type vs a 1918 made Gillette Old Style and the RR was significantly more comfortable and more efficient.
    • Merkur 1904 vs Gillette No Date Code No Serial number Old Style and they were really close but the Gillette just slightly better.
    • Merkur 25C vs Gillette New LC; this pair were so close it was just the Gillette still showing original gold plating that made it the winner.
    • Fatip Grande vs Gillette New SC and the Fatip Grande was significantly more comfortable with the same shave result.
    • Finally an ATT S2 vs a Gillette Sheraton where surprisingly the S2 was more efficient than the Sheraton.

The second phase:

In the second phase the best from the first phase were pitted against five different OC razors as well as different blade formats and three additional OC razors added at the end.

[​IMG]
    • The RazoRock Old Type against a different 1918 made Gillette Old Style and again, the RR rocked.
    • The No date code Gillette Old Type vs a GEM MMOC; close but the Gillette was more comfortable.
    • The Gillette LC vs a Durham Duplex and surprisingly the Durham Duplex was much more comfortable and as efficient.
    • The Fatip Grande vs a Valet AutoStrop VC1 with a despined GEM blade; close again but the Fatip slightly better.
    • This is actually a trilogy with an ATT S2 vs ATTSE2 with a Feather AC blade & a R2 with the same blade that was in the S2; of the three the S2 was by far the most comfortable.
    • The final two were a Fatip Piccolo and one of my Rolls Razors and again those were pretty close.
    So that was OCtober 2017.

Jayaruh, jimjo1031, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  20. Boojum1

OCtober 31, 2017

Love Your Shave Two Band
    MDC Agrumes
    Rhodium & Gold Gillette New LC
    Personna 74 Tungsten
    Fine Italian Citrus
    Terre D'Hermes

[​IMG]