Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. brit

brit in a box

lovely shave and pics Jim..

clint64 likes this.
  2. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20191010.
    [​IMG]
    Gentlemen's Tonic Mayfair "Babassu and Bergamot" pre shave oil.
    OUMO Brush / OUMO Brush imitation finest 2-band synth.
    Hawkins&Brimble "Elemi&Ginseng" shaving cream.
    Timeless Ti 0.68 OC / Stork Ti "Anaconda" handle.
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (8).
    Hawkins&Brimble "Elemi&Ginseng" ASB.

jimjo1031, Ron R, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

OCtober 10th
    Razor: Gillette NEW LC
    Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Permasharp Stainless (2)
    Brush: 30DC LE V2/SHD badger
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: GD Sandalwood Fig Musk
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    PAA unscented Star Jelly
    AS: Fine Santal Absolut

Good morning! [​IMG]

jimjo1031, clint64, kjbarth and 3 others like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Cooper Monobilt, Bic Chrome Platinum blade, shave 5.
    coop.jpg

Shave was with the razor not completely closed to increase the blade gap. I don't know if it is due to shaving with injectors and other razors and not using DE razors for a long period of time or if this particular Cooper design is different from the other style of Monobilt but I got a BBS shave out of this razor, something I've never gotten from any Cooper razor prior and I've owned about 7 of then now including 3 Monobilts with the more ornate style of handle. This one will get another go tomorrow with the handle fully tightened.

jimjo1031, clint64, kjbarth and 5 others like this.
  5. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Gillette Single Ring 1918
    Polsilver Łódź
    IMG_20191010_191942.jpg

Excellent!
    Smooth Shaves to one and all.

jimjo1031, clint64, kjbarth and 3 others like this.
  6. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Thursday OCtober 10

Ok, so on Monday I started using my European made vintage razors and I'm going to continue with European made razors for the next week or so. Today, I shaved with my British single ring, British Patent #28763.02, serial #H105553. Based on the serial #, I think this was made around 1915 which makes it more than a century old. I'm not sure what the "H" in the serial # means or if the serial # is actually "serial". H could mean that it was made in Britain for another country like Germany or that it was made in Germany for Germany. I don't know where it was made or what country it was made for. All I know is I have it and it's a GREAT shaving razor for 104+/- years old.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
    Soap - Cold River Soap Works Glide Morning Ghost
    Brush - Dubl Duck #2 Boar
    Blade - Feather HI SS (7)
    Razor - 1915+/- Gillette British Single Ring
    Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Cold River Soap Works Morning Ghost A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out tomorrow, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems there.

I did a 2 pass shave today. First pass, WTG was DFS and I could have stopped there. I really liked how this razor was shaving me. It felt very solid, a little blade feel which I liked. So I did a second pass XTG on my face but WTG again on my neck area as I wasn't going to try to get really close there as I can't stretch my skin there. Comparing this razor to my other single rings, this might be a half notch below my 1906 that I shaved with on 10/1 but shaved and felt better than the other single rings and the Bulldog. Seventh shave with this blade and it still feels ok. I thought the brush might be a little too floppy but it wasn't really. The soap and brush worked up a real nice lather. This soap and A/S has a real nice complex scent. Earthy and woodsy but at different times as I was shaving, I could smell some different scents, like it was changing a bit. I'm not sophisticated enough to know what each scent I picked up was but there were several different scents I smelled at different times during the shave. I hope the same happens with the A/S too. If it does, I'll look into getting the EdT (if they make one).

Overall, a really good shave. Have a few French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
    [​IMG]

- Ken

jimjo1031, Linuxguile, Ron R and 4 others like this.
  7. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary

Boru62, brit and clint64 like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

October 11, 2019
    Tatara Masamune Open Comb
    Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow
    Stuga Sandalwood Silvertip
    Catie’s Bubbles LPV
    Dominica Grand Bay Rum Aftershave

[​IMG]

9. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

DSCF0008 - Edited.jpg
    Friday 10.11.19 SOTD

TSE Pre-Shave Oil
    Karve Christopher Bradley Gladius OC “C” Plate / Feather (2)
    Frank Shaving 26mm x 50mm Silvertip Badger
    Fine Fresh Vetiver in a vintage mug
    Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave

DSCF0009 - Edited (1).jpg

10. brit

brit in a box

old faithful.. new rfb/canadian fluted handle/nacet. predictable perfection for me..MWF ..omega boar,crabtree and evelyn.. 20191010_210008_edited.jpg

clint64, Herm2502, jimjo1031 and 6 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

OCtober 11th
    Razor: Gillette NEW LC
    Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Permasharp Stainless (3)
    Brush: Heritage C-MON
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    PAA unscented Star Jelly
    AS: Brut
    [​IMG]

brit, clint64, Herm2502 and 6 others like this.
  12. kjbarth

That brush is a star!!!

- Ken

clint64, Linuxguile and jluc like this.
  13. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Pre: Warm water splash
    Brush: Anbbas Boar
    Soap: Cyril.R. Salter Tallow
    Razor: Gem MMOC
    Blade: Pal Super Carbon
    IMG_20191011_150926.jpg

A great finish to a wet and windy Friday.
    Smooth Shaves to one and all.

clint64, kjbarth, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Nice looking Bostonian razor-Looks very similar to a Gillettee 1930's NEW long comb, I really enjoy the shave my New long comb gives.

clint64 likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

OCtober 11th and today is my Micromatic bumpless open comb base plate, this model was made when Gem did not have the double edge blade yet introduced to compete with Gillette and other razor manufacturing. The model was meant for the thick blade spine(85yrs ago) but it works just as well with the modern Gem version we use today.

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb(MMOC) bumpless base plate model-MFG 1930-32 usually brass only.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10)
    Soap: Razorock "The dead Sea"
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Preshave: Brush wash face with CeraVe bar soap + Small dab of Aoe Vera clear gel on beard area only.
    Post shave: Alum block with cold water rinse
    Post shave: Razorock "The dead Sea" aftershave with witch hazel.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum indicated no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]
    OCtober 11-2019 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD OCtober 11th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Blackland Brass Blackbird OC
    Gillette Super Thin (5)
    WWB Talleyrand (26mm, Frigate Class)
    MWF
    B&M Fougere Angelique AS

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Auto-Strop VC1 Razor
    Gem Stainless (despined) Blade
    Frank Shaving Badger Brush
    WSP Fougere Noir Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Orange
    Avon Black Suede After Shave Balm

Untitled.jpg

Boru62, clint64, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  18. kjbarth

Friday OCtober 11

Continuing my shaves through Europe, today I'm using one of my aesthetically favorite razors, the LeCoq Caged Head. I've read that LeCoq may have made multiple versions of this razor; an aggressive version and a milder version. True or not, I've only got one and mine has a lot of exposed blade and is pretty aggressive. With the right shave angle, this shaves really well. Wrong angle, well, its like pealing a peach. Along with my normal picture of all my shave HW and SW, I'll include a profile picture of the caged head with the blade in so you can see the blade exposure. Hopefully this picture turns out ok.

Bowl/Scuttle - PantaRei Starry Night (Sicily, Italy)
    Soap - MWF (it's Friday after all)
    Brush - PantaRei Starry Night Wood Ed, Silver Tip Badger (Sicily, Italy)
    Blade - Feather HI SS (8)
    Razor - LeCoq Caged Head (France)
    Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 4 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is still a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out next Friday, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems shaving properly there. I do get to remove my bandages and wrapping tonight and replace with new bandages/wrapping.

I did a 1 pass shave today, WTG and was DFS. I used a very light touch on the razor and there was a lot of blade feel and the shave was very efficient, and my DFS was nearly BBS. Eighth shave with this blade and maybe it's done or near done. The MWF lathered up well but I'm not sure I like this scuttle for bigger brushes. It's a shallow scuttle and I really had to work to keep the lather in the scuttle which seems counterproductive. This scuttle is better with smaller brushes like the Duke 1 or smaller. I had no weepers but the alum was very vocal particularly at my jaw line and in my neck area. Felt the Baum.BE was the best choice to satisfy my skin.

Overall, a pretty good shave. Have a few more French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

- Ken

jimjo1031, Boru62, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

clint64 and jluc like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

clint64 and brit like this.