Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

Had not had my GC .84OC out in a while and gave it a drive this morning. What a smooth, efficient shaver. I run it (as I do with most OC's) very shallow, leaning mostly on the cap. Along with a nice, sharp blade and good angle, it is as smooth and effective as any razor in my drawer. Well done, Razorock. Handle is from my Timeless .68 SB.

[​IMG]

2. brit

brit in a box

simple saturday
    new rfb
    gsb
    omega
    gillette

[​IMG]

3. brit

brit in a box

tuesday
    brit fb new
    gsb
    ap shave tuxedo
    ach brito
    l'oreal birch

[​IMG]

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Single Ring Razor
    Gillette Platinum Blade
    Rubberset #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    Arko Shave Stick
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Old Spice Shulton w/ M-Bomb After Shave

Untitled.jpg

5. brit

brit in a box

The Sunday Shave
    brit fb new
    nacet
    yaqi silvertip
    zingari man
    nautica

[​IMG]

6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Razorock Game Changer OC
    Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless [​IMG]

8/19 /42

7. brit

brit in a box

thursday
    brit new rfb
    platinum
    bbj 10098
    royal forest

[​IMG]

Hogie, DaltonGang, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

saturday
    brit/french market goodwill
    platinum
    ap shave tuxedo
    myrsol blue

[​IMG]

9. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

A recent post by @Hogie on the Razorock Hawk got me wanting to break out my V3 OC for a run this morning. For many users, including myself, this is a very aggressive SE. I find it ill suited to daily 4:30am shaves (at least with Schick Proline's) and find it better used to eliminate multiple days of beard, at which it excels very well.

Shave this morning was on over two days worth of stubble. I managed a cut-free, no irritation shave, but that is because I have worked with this beast multiple times in the past and change up technique accordingly. It is NOT an autopilot razor to use when half asleep with a new Schick P-30 loaded.

I worked in Cremo Cooling shave cream as a pre-shave, then face lathered Haslinger Schafmilch with my Razorock Plissoft synthetic. I approach the shave almost as though I were using a straight, using a very light touch and an extremely shallow angle. The cap is nearly flat to the face, and handle lowered just enough to start cutting. If I see tooth drag lines in the lather, my angle is too steep and will begin to feel uncomfortable.

Managed in this fashion, the Schick Proline is incredibly sharp and effective. There is zero pulling, tugging, or any resistance whatsoever. The rigid P-30 blades are very well clamped in the Hawk V3 design and you will experience no blade noise, chatter, "singing", etc. Wowza!

Only two passes plus targeted touchup and I am good, as it cuts MUCH closer on the initial pass than any of my DE's. Back you go in the drawer until the next multiple days growth shave!

[​IMG]

10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yep! The Hawk with the open comb base plate is VERY aggressive! I too have found that I have to ride the cap with the open comb and if I see comb lines, I have the angle wrong. It does give a nice shave when use correctly and is also a razor you don't use on auto-pilot when using the OC plate.

Nice!;)

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am back to my open comb vintage razors and today, I got the most pleasant shave!

1920's Gillette open comb brass razor with a fresh Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Simpson "Commodore" brush
    TOBS Herbal Gel pre-shave
    Thayers & Geo F Trumper for after shave treatment
    Pinaud Clubman "Vanilla" after shave

Bloomed the soap with HOT water while washing my face and doing the HOT washcloth to the face. I want to use up the Herbal Gel. I like it but, it's too expensive for the small amount you get. I had a VERY pleasant 2-pass shave with minor cleanup. I have discovered that my beard grows from left to right all in the same direction and this is why I have to work harder on my right jawline to get it close. I ended with a BBS shave. Super smooth! Alum bar raised zero feedback. It's sure nice having a pleasant shave again!

I have so may blades that I have binned the blade and will use a fresh one every morning unless it is one of the super sharp Feathers or Perma sharp.

I hope all have just as nice a shave! :)

DSCN8369.JPG

12. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

13. brit

brit in a box

monday
    canadian old type
    platinum
    razo-rock bruce
    razo-rock blue

[​IMG]

MacDaDad, stuartganis, Hogie and 4 others like this.
  14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

It was another VERY pleasant shave today. The alum bar gave zero feedback again today. For now, I don't need a challenge from my shavettes when the other razors are SO nice to shave with! Today was my New Model short comb vintage 1930s razor.

Gillette New Model open comb (short comb) razor with a fresh Permasharp blade
    Mitchell's Wool Fat whipped with my Simpson "Berkley" brush
    TOBS Herbal Gel pre-shave
    Thayers toner and Geo F Trumper "Skin Food"
    Proraso AS splash

It's so nice getting back to my vintage Gillettes! I did a pleasant 3-pass shave with no cleanup. Very smooth! No cuts, nicks, or weepers!
    I hadta smash the soap down into the mug to fill in the hole I had created in the middle. MWF is so nice!

DSCN8411.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The seller of the Micromatic that turned out to be worn or damaged has shipped me a new razor. I should have it this week. Nice!
    Complete package is really nice. The razor had the hooks or stops at the leading edge of the blade gone. Someone either wore it out or filed off the stops!
    The blade was not secure and cut me several times! My other OC Micromatic is nice to shave with so, this told me something was wrong.

DSCN8448.JPG DSCN8447.JPG
    DSCN8011.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  16. brit

brit in a box

wednesday
    new sc/nacet
    semogue
    seville
    shulton

[​IMG]

17. Hogie