Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. BJV

BJV Active Member

My Ever Ready 1912 is the only OC I have, but I'm in the market for a DE OC (God, but I love acronyms!), so do you recommend a new EJ, Merkur, a vintage Gillette...I was thinking of a Razorock Jaws to get started.

P.S. I have a medium beard at best. Use setting #5 on my 1962 Gillette Adjustable.

ObiDon and vwp528 like this.
  2. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with the Jaws. It was my second razor and is still in my rotation. I now have over 40 razors on my collection and it is right up there with the best of then

vwp528 and BJV like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'll always recommend a vintage but the others are nice as well.

vwp528 and BJV like this.
  4. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

Used my 1924 silver plated (mostly) Tuckaway for the first time today. Got a decent DFS with one tiny nick and minor burn when applying the AS.
    1924 Tuckaway
    Wilkinson Classic blade, 6th use
    WSP Rustic Shaving Soap, Rose scent.
    Van der Hagen brush
    Bowl from Big Lots
    Barbasol Pacific Rush AS, forgot to put it in the pic. [​IMG]

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Big Lots bowl? I love it, go there all the time

vwp528, rp_63 and GDCarrington like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am using my 20s Old Type right now. It provides a nice shave, but I prefer my NEWs.
    upload_2014-10-7_18-7-37.png

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

On the eighth day of OCtober ...

[​IMG]

Bristle Me, ObiDon, Roderick and 3 others like this.
  8. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

I just wandered around the store until I found a bowl that "felt right" in my hand. Cost $1.50 I think.

Bristle Me and vwp528 like this.
  9. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

10/8/2014 Open Comb October

Prep: Hot shower with Nivea Face Wash with menthol
    Razor: Gem Micro Matic OC, Dubl Duck Goldedge straight razor
    Blade: GEM PTFE coated SE blade (5)
    Brush: Turkish #6
    Soap: Cella
    After: Home made ASB, Spieck after shave
    Cologne: Une Fleur De Cassie

It was a quick 2 pass Darn Fine Shave + this morning. I skipped the PSO with no ill effect. The #6 face lathered the Cella quickly which provided good protection and slide. The MMOC and the Dubl Duck had no problems mowing down the stubble. The Une Fleur De Cassie will have me smelling good for the rest of the day.

Have a blessed day!

[​IMG]

10. BJV

BJV Active Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  11. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Shave #8
    Gillette New LC "Uncle Bob"
    Gillette 7 O'clock green (3)
    modern Williams Mug
    Vintage Simms boar
    Lemon Witch Hazel
    Brut AS
    [​IMG]

brit, Morman Bridge, ObiDon and 4 others like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD

OCtober 8, 2014
    Prep: Hot shower. Noxzema
    Razor: iKon DLC OC
    Blade: Voskhod
    Lather: Craftsman Unscented
    Brush: hjm Badger
    Aftershave: Nivea Energy . Axe Shield Sensitive
    Another super shave with an Open Comb.
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

brit, Morman Bridge, BigMark and 6 others like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking I think the ER or Gem 1912, 1914 and 1924 SE's are actually CC(closed comb) and not OC(open comb). The MMOC and Bullet Tip are OC and the G-Bar, Featherweight and Push Button are SB(solid bar).

As for a DE OC I've used a Gillette Old Style, 1935 "NEW" and a CADET OC and IMO the "NEW" and Cadet are comparable shavers. I use and like both of them "VERY" much!:happy088: There are many brands of DE OC's to choose from and unfortunately only "YOUR" face can tell you which one you'll ultimately prefer, that said reviews do help. "SO DO YOUR RESEARCH"

EJ doesn't make an OC razor and the Muhle R41(VERY aggressive IMO) is at best a hybrid although I'd consider it more of a CC.

The Cadet, Razorock and Parker are all similar in price, material(chrome over zamak or pot metal) and construction. I think all 3 are made in India..
    As to the Merkur(supposedly made in Germany) they offer several well thought of OC models, but I'm not sure if they are 2 or 3 piece(I prefer 3 piece razors, because in some cases at least they give you the ability to change handles.), but again, as far as I know, the material is the same as a Razorock.
    The FaTip is made in Italy and according to an ad I read are made of brass, but I'm not sure if that's the entire razor or just the handle.

CAUTION: many modern DE razors that say "made of brass" only mean the handle and not the shave head! While I think most modern DE razors are fairly well made and worth the price, most as far as I know, "ARE NOT" completely made of brass. SO DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!

The only DE razor that I know is made completely of brass or brass/copper(shave head & handle) and is of "Top of the Line" "AMERICAN"manufacture is a vintage Gillette, it's one of the reasons they cost more and are considered worth the price by many shavers.. That said unless you "MUST" have a genuine Gillette I think a modern DE razor will do you just fine, give you a great shave and save you money! With that said if you can get an old, worn genuine Gillette DE for the "same money" as a modern pretty DE, "GET THE GILLETTE"!!! Of course YMMV..

Hope this helps :happy088:

BigMark, ObiDon, rp_63 and 2 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

when jumping from Muhle R89 type closed bar to open comb, what's a couple of good models to land on? (not SE)

I am worrie I might select one that is too aggressive.

(I wanted to take this question straight to OC Central)

apologies for OT

16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Merkur OC is supposed to be the mildest, but I can definitely recommend a NEW LC. Very mild. I don't have any issues with it being overly aggressive.

vwp528, 178-bplatoon and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

How do you like the 24C? I thought about getting one as my first OC razor.

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hadn't thought of Gillette! will investigate.

thanks

vwp528 likes this.
  19. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I like it quite a bit. I think based on price, mildness and efficiency it is great for a first OC. Very well built with a great handle. It is a heavier razor. It likes a more shallow angle. If you use a steep angle (handle closer to your face), it can irritate your face. Ride the top cap and make sure your aren't leaving lather behind and it works really well.

Bristle Me, wristwatchb and vwp528 like this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The plan for 9 October ...

[​IMG]