Open comb

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by lightcs1776, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I’ve repaired the the crack by cleaning the interior then epoxing a smaller tube inside while gently clamping.I then epoxy the ends on. It may increase the weight slightly, but it’ll never break again.

My open comb is a Minora from England. Amazing razor.

brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

If you want an OC, Id go with a double open comb. A lot of OCs are very mild, some would say too mild. Ive tried the Merkur 1904 and FaTip and both were too mild for me. Vintage Gillettes like the new and a good option too, if you can find one that is still in good shape. A lot of them you find have broken or missing teeth because they are made of brass and all it takes is to drop them and have them hit the floor at a certain angle and one of the teeth can break.
    As for filling the crack, Id agree with trying to epoxy it.

Enrico and lightcs1776 like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I tried both the New and the Old this morning, one on each side of my face. Both were very comfortable and efficient. The New LC was a bit more comfortable to use, as I felt less like it might bite, but didn't have any irritation with either. I will be rotating razors regularly to ensure they are all used on a regular basis. I am quickly becoming a fan of the open comb razors.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

John Ruschmeyer and Enrico like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Or Schone. Schone nickel, pretty much as good as a man can get for silly money. I like the SLOC fine but there's no comparison in quality.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Isnt a Schone the same thing as a FaTip?

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's made by Fatip but different handle and guard. Plating quality on mine is excellent.

7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that you really like your Schone. Ha ha ha.

The Schone has fewer teeth, from what I have read, uses the same thread on the handle, and is made at the same factory. Of course, one could put a different handle on the Fatip heads as well.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Correct on all counts. Of course you have actually buy the Schone to swap its handle to another Fatip. Yes it's my favorite among my three Fatips.

[​IMG]

brit, Frijolero and lightcs1776 like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The QC on Fatip is reputedly horrible, but I was fortunate and got a good one as far as tolerances and fit. The plating is a bit iffy. However, I don't view Fatip as an heirloom or anything. 3-4 years for $25 ain't bad! Soon though...the plating will degrade to a unserviceable condition. I will then take your advice.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes I will stick to nickel plating as it is said to be the most capably done.