Opinions on Mach3 variants

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Jerry-built Hustler, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

If you're a Mach3 user, which version of the cartridge do you prefer? The original? Turbo? Power? Sensitive? What do you like better about it, relative to the other versions?

Darkbulb and engrsaks like this.
  2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

On my face, its Mach-III original loaded in nitro power handle. Sensitive and turbo don't really make a difference so why pay the extra price?

41h4LEfwmxL._SX425_.jpg

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I use the Mach3 disposable, with the occasional Mach3 Sensitive disposable. They are a lot less expensive than the carts in packs, but you can pull the head off and use it as a cart. I usually just use the disposable, or put on my êShave handle. I can't tell the difference between the original and sensitive...

engrsaks and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  4. engrsaks

@Sabre : But why purchase the expensive Mach-III disposables when you do have a handle and can easily purchase the cartridges?

5. Jerry-built Hustler

Good question. Sabre, you say the disposables are less expensive, but in the US, the M3 disposables all cost more per unit than the carts. Is it different in the UK?

6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

For this reason ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN and engrsaks like this.
  7. engrsaks

:scared011: Has Gillette gone nuts? It is obvious, latter picture has more plastic than the former. This much difference in price is beyond any justification.

8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the retailers, although I rarely see Gillette carts reduced just economy bulk packs. The Mach3 disposables are almost always on offer, just like Coca Cola or Pepsi in the UK.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    engrsaks likes this.
  9. engrsaks

BTW, I'm interested in finding out, how the M3 power cartridges performed? I've never used these. Notice that these cartridges have full orange lubra-strip, unlike Mach-III sensitive ones. If I am not wrong, these are no longer in production.

Attached Files:

10. engrsaks

Oh I see, so you are purchasing these on offer. Yes, that makes sense.

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

M3 Power have been replaced by Mach3 Sensitive Power:

[​IMG]

engrsaks likes this.
  12. Jerry-built Hustler

It's been years since I used an M3 Power cart, but my recollection is I noticed no difference between the Power and the Turbo, when used in like fashion.

My current issue is whether I wish to continue using Turbo carts, or go back to the original. It's been so long since I used an original M3, I can't remember how it compares to the Turbo. What I can say is the Turbo carts have gotten considerably more ugly since Gillette started using bright blue plastic, and they are always more expensive than the originals.

13. engrsaks

@Jerry-built Hustler : Why not shave one side of your face with M-III original and other with M-III turbo. I'm sure you will easily spot any differences in the performance, even the minute ones.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. engrsaks

@Sabre : Is there any Personna or Schick cart, that fits Mach-III handle perfectly? I've heard Matrix-3 or tri-flexxx , is compatible with Mach-3. If its true, maybe one of these can turn out to be a better variant for Mr. Nathan.

15. Jerry-built Hustler

The issue is price. I don't have any original M3 carts, so I can't make a comparison without buying some. Right now, Amazon has an excellent deal on a 15-pack of the originals, but that still is a pretty substantial outlay if all I'm looking to do is try out a cart. Unfortunately, buying a smaller pack at a place like Walmart means the per-cart price is substantially higher, and no bargain. For instance, with all discounts factored in, I can get a 15-pack of M3 original carts on Amazon for $22.54 shipped, which is $1.50 a cart. A 5-pack of original carts at Walmart is $14.47, or $2.89 per cart.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Tri-Flexxx is Sensor compatible, I am not sure about the Matrix being compatible with the Mach3. I have heard that if you remove the connector a Matrix will be Atra compatible.

engrsaks likes this.
  17. engrsaks

@Jerry-built Hustler : Do you see these in your market? I found this rare piece and immediately bought it to show you. A mach-III cartridge in a special protective plastic cover, packed in a sachet. :)

DSC00353.JPG DSC00354.JPG DSC00356.JPG

18. Jerry-built Hustler

I've never seen an individually packaged M3 cart before. (Or any Gillette cart, for that matter.) I've only seen multi-packs for sale.

Darkbulb and engrsaks like this.
  19. engrsaks

Is it me or does Gillette only specifies "nano thin blades" on Mach-III turbo ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Aren't nano thin blades so noughties? It surely must be HD high definition blades now?