Opinions Requested

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Oct 20, 2019.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Anyhow I scored this 1914 Aristocrat today. It has great looking patina. I need to fix the case lid. A simple super glue of the hinges. Also no cracks on the barrel.

My conundrum is, do I leave the patina? Or remove the tarnish. I know all the silver is still there from the complete patina. If it helps. I do plan on using the razor.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RyX, AGHisBBS, jimjo1031 and 5 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Id clean and use it. It's very nice.

Robert1955, Tdmsu and twhite like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Remove the tarnish? Or leave tarnish and give a Barbicide bath?

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i would clean it up and use it..no free lunches in my den..;),but seriously if it was a museum piece with shipper etc i would maybe preserve it but it's a grand example of a first gen aristocrat..polish and shave away sir..i have 2 nos brit techs from the 40s .still working on that decision to use them.,but i also have clean working examples ..

americanshamrock and twhite like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I like your thinking. I tend to ship out the razors I do not use. I love how the old types shave. So it will be a keeper.

brit likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Shine it up! Flitz.

americanshamrock, brit and twhite like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd remove the tarnish, it is not like razors have numismatic value to them unlike silver coins.

americanshamrock, brit and twhite like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

4-0 so far. I see a pattern. So be it. Tomorrow after work I will get it all tuned up for its maiden shave.

americanshamrock, Robert1955 and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

if you were thinking of collectable value..its already used.some shaves and some tlc wouldn't effect it..not many would be using it new as the great war was /had started..cool set sir..

twhite likes this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Not a razor collector for investment at all. All for personal use and pleasure.

I am HORRIBLE at investing. Do the exact opposite as I do and you will be fine. Same thing for gambling

brit likes this.
  11. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is to leave the patina. I’m not sure if there is a way to safely clean the tarnish and not damage the silver plate. I’ve tried a couple products, tarnx and silver wipes that did damage the silver plating on the razor I tested on. There may be something that will work, just not sure what it is yet.

- Ken

Enrico, brit and twhite like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I have had great luck with baking soda and hot water poured over the razor. The razor sits in a bowl with aluminum foil between the razor and bowl.

It has a reaction that removes the tarnish. You might have to do it se real times. But it works a treat.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Then do you like it patina'd or not? It is not like keeping the patina will make it shave any differently.

kjbarth and brit like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I use stainless steel sink cleaner and a microfiber cloth along with a toothbrush to get into the nooks and crannies you can't reach with the cloth by hand. I've cleaned quite a few Autostrops that way to get the tarnish off them.

15. brit

brit in a box

i collected/ing brit gillettes just because of my grandfather was a gillette man since his time during ww2.he was a big influence in my way of thinking..at best i could recoup if the crap hit the fan..past hobbies financed it for the most part.but i use and enjoy all of them except the 2 techs i mentioned..:)..looking forward to seeing it in action..

twhite and kjbarth like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs021: I'd leave the patina. Give it a Palmolive bath, dip in alcohol and use it. Looks great as is.

:happy096: BTW nice score! :happy088:

:eatdrink013:

17. brit

brit in a box

looks like there's a couple of "keep the patina"guys around.;).i agree on survivor type cars and many other things..silver tarnishing looks abandoned and unmaintained on certain things..imo..

twhite likes this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well I couldn’t wait. Here are the results of 3 soaks on the baking soda and a light buff with Flitz.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Juno, TestDepth, MR41 and 16 others like this.
  19. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Looking good. IMHO you made the right decision.

kjbarth, Primotenore and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

looks awesome..:)