Ordered my first straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DesertTime, Nov 12, 2009.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I ordered my first straight razor after many years of wondering about them. There's just so much information out there about them now, it made it an easy jump to the next level of shaving.

More importantly, there are a lot of very helpful people that we noobs have access to. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone yesterday with Jim over at Vintage Blades. What an asset he is to the Straight Razor community. And, of course, there are all the knowledgeable people on this forum.

I should get my Dovo 5/8 "best" carbon steel razor and strop next Monday. Corrective plastic surgery is already scheduled for Tuesday morning.

2. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Nah!

Now that you've got your first straight, you're officially tough enough to sew yourself up. ;)

Welcome to the Old School

goshawk

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

No need to - you can make it a DIY project and use the razor for it :happy102

Enjoy the shaves! :eatdrink047

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Muhahahaha another one comes over to the darkside.....

Welcome aboard the straight train may yer ride be long, and smooth... :transport022

Heck just take your time, and you will do fine....

5. traditionalist

traditionalist New Member

you will be addicted very quickly once you start. :D it has become the only thing i look forward to every day.

6. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

You mean to say "another comes over from the Dark Side".. as he "finally saw the light"?.. :think002

Anyhow, welcome aboard, enjoy the shaves and remember: There is no turning back. At least no-one I know of has ever managed it.. :D

7. DesertTime

Thanks, all.

I'm looking forward to learning more about straight razors, from shaving to honing and proper care of these fine instruments.

8. cooltide

cooltide New Member

your on the right track
    a nice set up for starters & the RAD sets in straights
    remember no pressure on the blade & let the razor do the work for you
    best of luck

9. DesertTime

Wow.Am I that predictable? I'm already starting the hunt for a very inexpensive razor to learn and practice honing.

10. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

That could also be a possibility :happy102

Anyway, Congratulations on your first Straight Razor and may you encounter many, many pleasant shaves!

Remember........ It's the journey that's important, not just the destination :D

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My first and only straight razor is a Dovo Bismarck 5/8--it's fantastic. :)

12. sffone

sffone Member

Once you start using a straight you'll never go back. And be warned: it can easily become an addiction. It's funny because a lot of folks claim that straight razor shaving is economical because you're not having to buy disposable blades. Boy, is that ever a joke because most of us end up feeding an addiction that costs far more than a truckload of disposable blades would cost. But what sweet addicition!!!!

13. DesertTime

As of this very moment, I plan to stick with my Dovo. I don't want to practice honing with my only shaving razor, so I do want to find something very cheap to practice with.

Of course, that can all change ;)

14. cooltide

cooltide New Member

we can hear the RAD in your voice already
    remindes me frodo in lord of the rings

15. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Same here :happy088

Only.............. I have never used it :ashamed001

For some reason I haven't got the guts to try it on :ashamed001

16. The beauty of razor cuts on the the face is that they really don't hurt. Besides we all need a good bleeding from time to time. ;)

17. DesertTime

I can just tell folks I went to Heidelberg.

I have another question. With the Dovo straights, is the primary difference between their carbon steel razors from the "best" level to the higher end the quality of the scales and decorative enhancements to the blade? Is the basic blade steel the same?

18. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Congrats on jumping forward. Maintenance is the only thing that stops me from moving to a straight.