PAA Bakelite Open Comb Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Oct 29, 2022.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I want one!
    :drool:

jimjo1031 and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. jimjo1031

it looks nice

Enrico likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I wonder how much ....... $

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

I'll be paying attention to see when it's available.

Enrico likes this.
  6. Mannic

Mannic New Member

I tought around $60 i am very interested also

Enrico likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Interesting, but that's more than I usually go on a razor.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Yeah, it's a nice looking razor. nice to see a new bakelite razor with a metal cap and nice case

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i know..most of the original ones are long gone..glad to see new ones.:)

12. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

It's not just a razor. It comes with it's own custom to the razor traveling case, that is pretty much a vault. The case is tough, will definitely keep the razor protected... I have not used it yet, but have gotten one. It looks like it is well worth the price tag in fit/finish/manufacturing cost...

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Darn it, Doug! You made me buy YET ANOTHER of your excellent razors! But hey, it's not every day such a fancy tool is released, and I couldn't resist getting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2022
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My brother-in-law purchased this razor, and let me try it the other day. It's based on a old razor design called the "Evermoist."

I quite liked it, and was tempted to buy one myself. The water reservoir in the baseplate works as advertised, and does seem to add a bit of slickness to the shave. Like the DOC, it's another gimmicky razor that works pretty well.

It's well balanced and heavy for being a mostly plastic razor. I'd put the aggression level slightly above a Gillette Tech.

Edit: the case, while nice, is too big to lug along for travel, imo.

brit, Michael_W, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  15. Michael_W

Another razor with a plastic handle and metal head is the Wizamet W-11, originally produced in Soviet-era Poland and modeled on Gillette razors. It's top-heavy, but once you get used to the center of gravity it's actually quite efficient. What I like about PAA's gimmick razors is that they recreate vintage models that were themselves rather cynical but innovative gimmicks that show how razor manufacturers were always seeking ways to improve the quality of shaves.

16. Michael_W

I received my razor yesterday and broke it in today. The water reservoir does appear to work as advertised, adding a bit of additional slickness during the shave. One thing that stands out compared to the D.O.C. design is that rather than the water running out of the spaces between the teeth of the base cap and base plate, which can make for a messier pass as the water captured mixes with the later, the water remains more or less where it's supposed to, being released more efficiently.

I used the Diver Down collection, Formula CK-6 soap, aftershave splash, and star jelly (with the matching underarm deodorant). The blade was a Tiger Platinum on its fourth consecutive day of use. The weight and balance are excellent, razor glided so smoothly over my face that had I not heard the familiar 'scritch' sound, I wouldn't have noted the presence of the blade. Feedback with my witch hazel and alum block was almost nonexistent. I added the three tucks of the PAA Platinum Strangelet blades to my 100-count pack, which was down by three, so it's back to being a 100-count pack. I now have at least ten years' worth of razor blades, what with my Astras, Tigers, Tatras, Treet Black Beauties, and Wizamet Iridium Supers, along with a number of sampler tucks. I look forward to trying them all out in my Bakelite, ha ha!

PLANofMAN and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.