PAA Single Edge GEM.... Starling Razor.

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Str8on2, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was very tempted. Enjoy.

Str8on2 and Redfisher like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

He got a similar response on ATG. Curmudgeons unite!

3. toc

toc Member

Having never used a GEM type razor, may I ask what the appeal is? Does it provide a closer shave or is it easier to use? Are there as many options for blade choice?

Redfisher likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nostalgia and the fact that the thicker blade stock and angle geometry better approximates the efficiency of a straight razor versus DE. There are very limited blade options.

5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

You should probably read up on it some. Tends to be an aquired taste. Different from a DE better for some not good for others.. Blade choices are limited but the ones available are very good. I personally love variety in my shaving so I embrace all styles of razors. I will tell you that when I first started using the GEM style razors I wasn't a fan. As time went on I found I seriously enjoy shaving with them. At some point you should give it a try.

Enrico likes this.
  6. toc

toc Member

So it’s almost like a shavette then as far as performance? Does the lack of blade options limit the functionality of the razor? There are so many options for DE blades that one can always find a model that works for them, I wonder if that is no longer true with a SE.

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No, it has a safety guard like DE.

Absent a metal allergy, blades usually don't limit razors, skill and techniques are the limiting factor. The variance in DE isn't as vast as people like to pretend that it is. People convert from carts and struggle to develop technique by constantly changing the fundamental elements. Blades catch blame they honestly don't earn.

9nein9, Terry, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Truth!

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There are other new SE razors that use the Gem blade. Well at least one. It is just as ugly as this thing is. I do not see the point or why there is interest in them at all.

9nein9 likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

SE Razors are much better to me then DE. There is not a lot of blade choice because there does not need to be. All the DE choices are mostly silly. With good technique any blade will work. If sharp and no defective tool. If you would like to try a SE razor let me know. I am happy to loan you one with some blades to try.

AMEN!

11. ChiefBoatsRet

ChiefBoatsRet New Member

My daily driver is a Gillette Twinjector with Japanese Schick twin blades. I recently bought the Pheonix Starling V2 when it became available again. I have never shaved with a Gem style razor so I have nothing to judge this against. To the point, no matter how I tried this gave me the roughest shaves of my life. It has been cleaned and packed away because I will never use it again. Yes the blades are the Gem Personna and not the utility scrapper blades. Wow, I just noticed how old this is. Sorry about the necro post

12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Only wet shaving for about 10 months and some change I agree for the most part. Being a convert from carts here.

I have noticed that the DE razors that don't bend the blade down much like the r41, will give me a rough but still close shave. I get great results from DE slants with Feather blades and SE razors. My first SE was GEM Jr, I got a great shave.
    I have used a GEM MMOC about a dozen times now and it gets better every time I use it. I realy like thr Razorock Black Hawk v2 but the blades are pricy. When I use these so called aggresive razors I get wondeful results. So, if I want to use these razors, and I do, I have to learn the razor.
    2 cents from a rookie shaver.
    tp

tp

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have had the opportunity to try out the PAA Starling SE V2 this week. It is turning out to be a great little razor. I was skeptical, but now, I am inching toward getting my own.
    I like the OC plate best, but I am warming up to the safety bar plate.

sod190307.jpg

sod190312.JPG

Leclec13, BigMark83 and CrustyCat like this.
  14. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

@Jayaruh , I'm sooooooo ready to give her a whirl. I can hardly wait !