Palm stropping vs Corking a new AC blade

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jgreenepa, Aug 23, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I've learned an enormous amount on this forum, and so before I begin I'd just like to thank everyone for their contributions and help to me.

Shortly after joining the forum, I learned about some of the newer DE razors, and after some research, and the fact that my faithful Krona of half a century was giving up the ghost, decided to purchase a Karve razor, a decision I do not regret. It's an excellent razor and a pleasure to use. As the days passed and I continued to cruise the highways and byways of TSD, I learned about AC razors and was frankly intrigued by the idea of their use. My oldest son introduced me to B&B and from there I learned about this wonderful place. Since his birthday was fast approaching, I asked him what he wanted, and he asked for the Oren razor. I ordered one, and after it arrived, out of personal curiosity, gave it a try with bloody results. My major issue with it was it's sheer size. I felt like I was dragging an awkward mini-face plow across my beard. Trimmng around my goatee and beard was a real problem given it's size. Suffice it to say, it's not a razor for me, although my son is now happily using it, saving me from selling it on Ebay.

I've since learned about palm stropping and corking new AC blades, and that the first one or two shaves with an unstropped or uncorked AC blade can sometimes be a bit rough. Since I only used the razor twice, I suspect that this may have been the problem. So when the RR Hawk V2 arrived for son #2's birthday present, I decided to give it a spin after first palm stropping and then corking the new blade thanks to some rapid education via YT. The resulting shave was a smooth and effortless BBS, and the razor itself was light and supremely manoeverable. After two such shaves with the razor, I decided to keep it, and ordered another for my son's present. I've got one last razor on order for son #3, the Enoch, but will just forward that one to him. I'm very happy with my Hawk and the incredible quality of shave it delivered.

Does anyone else here using AC blades palm strop or cork their new blades? Always interested in learning.

Have a great shave,

Jeff

wristwatchb, Keithmax and brit like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've stropped edit: vintage carbon blades (SE and DE) using the inside of a glass and found it helpful. But, I'm of the opinion and experience that stropping other types of blades is useless. Others swear by stopping in one form or another. YMMV, as they say.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Keithmax likes this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Most disposable blades have compound bevels ground 'by design'. The last grind angle being the least acute is hard to see without good lighting and good magnification. The would be unlikely to benefit the same as a straight, which is ground at a more acute angle with a single bevel.

'Corking' smoothes an edge, although I'm not convinced of the benefitnon a disposal blade.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  4. jgreenepa

Thanks, Edison, people do seem split on this issue. Ruds the reviewer claims its the only way to go with new AC blades. Go figure!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Jeff, I like the way you gift razors to your sons. The Black Hawk is a very nice AC razor. I enjoy mine, too. I haven't tried palm stropping the AC blades though.

jgreenepa, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I don’t cork ladies but I do palm strop DE and SE blades.

jgreenepa, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm sure the women appreciate that. :eek:

Keithmax, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  8. jgreenepa

Thanks, Jim, I had no idea what palm-stropping was until I watched a Ruds video. I had a pretty rough experience with the Oren, which my oldest son now has, and I wonder whether it was partially because I hadn't prepared the blade properly. A lot of my problem was just the size of that razor, but I wonder whether I could have avoided the weepers with it if I'd palm-stropped and then corked the blade. I palm-stropped and corked the Kai blade in my new Hawk, which was originally destined for son #2. I had a glorious first shave with it, and was sold on the razor. I had to order another for my son. Maybe it was just psychological, but I'm not arguing. It worked. Taught each of my sons to shave when they were youngsters. I remember standing at the sink myself as a six or seven year old with my pop watching him shave. I remember he removed the blade from the razor, soaped up my face and then let me remove the shaving cream with the defanged razor. One of my best memories. I did the same with each of my boys.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  9. jgreenepa

Keith, do you find that these techniques makes a difference? Just wondering. I'm going to continue doing it myself, but I was curious about your experience. I both palm stropped and corked the blade, so I really don't know which technique was effective?

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Keithmax, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Auto correct strikes again. These days with MeToo it is best to avoid corking women other than my woman.

I have never corked a blade. I think the palm stroping makes a difference but it could all be in my head. It works for straights so why not for other blades. I find I get a little extra life out of the blade, then again I am two and out kind of guy. It could just be I am cleaning the edge. Try it and see.

brit, Edison Carter and richgem like this.