Palmolive soap stick discontinued.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by 782sirbrian, Jan 22, 2015.

1. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Just bought my first stick and now maybe my last. Haven't tried it yet......

2. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

This is one of my old standbys, but I don't use it as much as I once did. Still one of the best values in wetshaving, shame it's going extinct.

3. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Well if this in fact is true, I am glad to have a few in my stash.

4. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Amazon still carries it.

5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I'm thinking of getting like 5-10 sticks haha just in case. It was my first soap ever. I feel like I want it to be around

6. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

As far as i know, will the Stick (or cream) only be not available in UK anymore.

A user in our German forum write with colgate and they wrote him,that it will be only discontinued in UK.

PanChango and BigMark like this.
  7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Ahh, that's awesome =) for me. I can find it a little everywhere so I'm kind of taking if for granted haha

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  8. ChiefShaver

I will try to post the German answer here...i asked him, if that would be ok.

Then you can try to translate it with Google or anything else. Maybe some of you speak German a bit...;) :)

crackstar and Omelmad like this.
  9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Google has a translate feature , however it is verbatim, meaning it is word for word and not an accurate translation. I am sure we would be able to figure it out though.

ChiefShaver likes this.
  10. ChiefShaver

Here the English-Answer from another member of our German forum:

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

Thank you for your recent inquiry about Palmolive Classic Shaving Stick. We appreciate your interest in our Company and are pleased to have the opportunity to respond.

We regret to inform you that the product you are interested in is not currently being manufactured. In response to decreased consumer demand, we sometimes have to stop manufacturing a product. Unfortunately, we do not have any remaining stock to offer you directly. Although we cannot accommodate you at this time, we realise the importance of hearing from consumers, such as you, in order to remain aware of your continued interest. We will be sure to share your comments with our Business Development Group.

We would like to inform you that the whole range of Palmolive Shaving products has been discountinued in UK except from Palmolive Shaving Sensitive Gel. However you should be able to find Palmolive Shaving products as well the Stick in value stores like Pound Land, Savers etc.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our Company and its products.

Yours sincerely

Heni Buhac
    Consumer Services Representative

...and here the German answer:

Sehr geehrter xxx,

vielen Dank, dass Sie sich direkt an uns wenden. Wir sind Ihnen gerne behilflich.

Es gibt momentan keine Pläne unsererseits, die Produktion der von Ihnen genannten Rasierprodukte einzustellen.

In Grossbritannien werden diese jedoch aufgrund geringer Nachfrage nicht mehr hergestellt.

Wir danken Ihnen für Ihr Interesse an unserem Unternehmen und an unseren Produkten. Schön, dass Sie Zeit hatten uns zu schreiben. Fragen und Anregungen unserer Kunden sind uns stets willkommen.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
    xxx

TitanTTB and PanChango like this.
  11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Well my order from Bullgoose should get here today. As I said earlier, I ordered a tube of Palmolive Classic, Palmolive Menthol, and a Palmolive stick. That will put my stock at 3 tubes of Palmolive Menthol, 1 tube of Palmolive Classic, and 3 Palmolive sticks. With the exception of the Classic, Palmolive Menthol and the Palmolive stick are very good performers for me and very reliable. I think I'll have enough Palmolive for a few years.

crackstar likes this.
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

That is lousy news. Palmolive Classic, Menthol, and the stick are a vital part of my rotation. I'm happy I still have some of each in reserve.

13. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Well from the German email it sounds like its leaving the UK retail market but will still be available online and around Europe which is great news.

14. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I like the ideas flowing here! If I had a floundering product, I would raise the price, decrease distribution, and sell it inside a container of live angry bees. Then it would be sure to sell.
    I'm joking obviously. That sounded meaner than I meant it to, and I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but the image is funny to me, so I am letting it stand.
    Seriously though, the sad reality is that these products mean nothing to the parent companies. Colgate Palmolive is a massive multinational conglomerate. They are beholden to profits in the name of stockholders dividends. Like most giant corporations, they will lay off thousands of employees to shore up the bottom line without blinking an eye. They certainly aren't going to lose sleep over marginal profits from a niche product. Now, let me point out a couple things... the letter says specifically, that the product will be discontinued in the uk. And despite being a multinational giant, the CP company is only publicly listed in two countries. The USA, and India. I would not be the least bit surprised to see the products in question find a new lease on life in India, a wet shaving hotbed. I could be wrong, I often am, but it seems possible.

TitanTTB and GDCarrington like this.
  15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

It seems very possible. India already makes Palmolive Lemon shaving cream and I think a version of Palmolive Classic. But don't take my word for it.

crackstar likes this.
  16. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

If one was to look at pictures of vintage Williams you can see the price evolve from 5 cents to up to a dollar and change that a modern puck commands today. It sold in much larger numbers back when it cost a nickle than it does now -- but it remains available today. If they kept producing it at the rate they did in its heyday at heyday prices they would have gone out of business long ago. They adjusted and stayed in the market over the years. Not tossing the baby out with the bathwater as it were.
    Looks like Palmolive is doing the same thing. The UK email says the line was struggling & discontinued which caused the panic, but the German email suggests it will remain available in Europe. Seems like Palmolive is adjusting production to account for the floundering UK retail market keeping the line profitable and available elsewhere.
    Horray if you like Palmolive!

17. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Why...that's just crazy enough to work.

18. crackstar

Keine Sorge - ich spreche Deutsch! ;)

19. crackstar

They do make versions of Palmolive Classic and Lemon but I'm not impressed so much with them.

20. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Jeff would you be so kind as to give us a proper English translation?