Parker 3 piece razor, aggressive.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by shave/brush, Dec 24, 2013.

1. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I know Parker razors have had a bad reputation with their TTO razors but their 3 piece razors are really great.
    I have a Parker 94R and it is aggressive but very smooth. I've tried a lot of razors but this is my favorite razor. It has nice weight to it and balance. I liked the 94R so much I picked up it's sister model the 97R. Same as the 94 only with a slightly different handle.
    You can get them on Amazon for $28.00. The handles are made of brass then chrome plated. The best thing about them is the great shave.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have a Parker 80R, an HD TTO - great razor, zero issues.

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have a 94r also. I like it quite a lot. I should use it more often, maybe tomorrow morning

4. shave/brush

The reason I like the 94r so much is it's quite aggressive but very smooth.

5. VintageShave

VintageShave Member

I'll have to look into this one. I'm new to the safety razor and have been looking into ones around this price range. I was looking at the Merkur Classic 1904 but this looks like a nice one as well.

6. shave/brush

Just to warn you, the Parker 94R is a bit aggressive but very smooth. The Merkur 1904 is very mild but also a very nice razor.

Well, did you use it today?

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While I've never owned or used a Parker TTO...The 3 piece Parker 97R was one of my first razors.. I've since moved on to a Weber, but the Parker performed quite well for me...Other than some QC/craftsmanship issues I've read about,but didn't experience with my 97R, Parkers are basically made of the same "materials" as the comparatively priced Sabi's and Cadet's and the slighty more expensive EJ's and Muhle's..I.M.O. Parkers are well priced for someone just getting into "traditional" shaving and wanting to buy something more than a bottom on the line safety razor.....:)

8. shave/brush

Actually the Parker's are made better than the EJ's and Muhle's. Parker uses a brass handle to start with then plates over it.

9. 178-bplatoon

The Parker,EJ & Muhle all have brass chrome plated handles and "pot metal" shave heads as far as I know..As far as I know Merkur,Sabi and Cadet also have chrome plated brass handles..The EJ89 has a chrome plated brass handle is in the description on amazom.....:) As far as craftsmanship I.M.O. (I don't own a Muhle) I would rank the EJ89 on top, with the Merkur,Sabi, Cadet and Parker basically tying for second place of course "YMMV"..
    The Merkur actually may have an advantage in screw together strength as it's a 2 piece and so has more material holding handle and head together..All I know for sure is that I own and have used all of these razors and until I got my Weber DLC, the EJ89 was the king 3 piece in my den...:)

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  10. shave/brush

Not all Merkur's are 2 piece razors like their model 34c. In fact most of them are 3 piece razors. The Merkur, E.J., and Muhle do not have brass handles.

11. 178-bplatoon

I don't know for a fact what type metal the handles are made, all I do know is the description of the EJ89 on the amazon web site states it's a brass handle plated in chrome...I.M.O. from handling and using the EJ89, Merkur 34C,Parker 97R,Sabi T2 and the Cadet OC, the EJ89 is the better crafted razor..:) Again I.M.O. the vintage brass Gillettes and the Weber stainless steel razor head and handle are the best razors going!! :happy088:

12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

No I didn't. My wife got me a Gem Bullet Tip razor for Christmas and that's what I used. Had to keep the peace so to speak.

But I will be using the Parker in the next few days. It is a nice shaver and feels good in my hand.