Parker 60r

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by prize, Nov 17, 2008.

1. prize

prize New Member

Hi

As a "newbie" to the shaving scene, I have just managed to get my hands on a Parker razor....it's a 60r. Now whether these are any good or not, i've no idea, however, it only cost me £10 gbp or about $15 usd, so I thought, "what the heck?" Now, i have got a sample pack of blades, that contain.....Feather, Derby, Gillette Platinum, Super + Platinum, Merkur , Wilkinson & Dorco. Does anybody haveany suggestions as to which blades they think would be best to put in (bearing in mind I'm a novice!!!) I do like a close shave, but don't want to rip my face to shreds in the same breath. Are some blades more harsh than others???

Thanks in advance.

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I would start with either the Derby or Wilkinson, both will shave you well with little or no problem. I would suggest avoiding, for now, the Feather as they are very sharp and can cause damage if not handled properly. As for the Merkur and Dorco, I don't have any luck with either. They tear me up but meinye (my experience is not your experience)

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'll agree with most of what Poppi said, with two exceptions:
    1) I don't get along with the Wilkinson blades and don't recommend them as a first blade
    2) I really like the Dorco blades, very smooth, plenty sharp but not so much to be totally unforgiving like the Feather.

And in addition:
    -I'm guessing the Super + Platinums are Isreali Personna blades. If that is correct, they are frequently used as a first blade. Average in just about every way so unlikely to give you a bad experience.
    -So long as you're not using the Feather and not shaving against the grain, you should be able to learn with any of your blades and not have any major problems.
    -Don't worry about getting a really close shave your first few shaves, focus on presentable and irritation free. Once you have that, slowly work on getting a better irritation free shave.
    -If you haven't, watch Mantic's videos on YouTube. Watching the videos and taking his advice will greatly increase your learning rate and prevent a possible bad experience.

4. prize

prize New Member

Thanks for the replies. Well i didn't think the Parker was a bad buy for the money, but i'm keeping my eye out for a suitable Merkur....does anyone on here have any opinions of the Parker 60r???