Parker 89R discussion

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sparky5693, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Good news! Ya won't have to! :D

2. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

:happy069

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Boubi, if you even touch a Mach 3, I'll kick your butt good! :D

4. What did I miss here ?

5. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

I always admire razors like this but whenever I buy one and use it... I am always dissappointed in the performance compared to a Murkur HD or my Gillette Adjustable Aristocrat (my go to razor). Nonetheless it is a sharp looking razor.

6. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Have you even tried this razor ? if not then please dont judge things when you havent you cant compare this razor with any razor. I used the Gillette Aristocrat
    last week but went back to the 89R . The Aristocrat has too little blade exposure so it takes much more skill to get the same BBS I get with less effort on the 89R .

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

He wasn't judging the 89R specifically. He was saying that in general, he'll see attractive razors that don't always live up to their good looks. Obviously, if he hasn't used this specific razor he can't comment on it. He was speaking on his past, general experiences.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Zeth, I agree with Rene, since I have several Parker razors, and find them to be excellent razors. I also have a Gillette Aristocrat, and had very serious issues with it, so I stopped using it altogether. Unless you've tried this particular razor, you shouldn't judge, or knock it. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject. By the way, the Merkur HD is a decent, but not a great razor either for that matter, but again as with anything, YMMV.

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I had sworn the HD was the razor for me, and have shaved almost everyday with mine for a year. I bought the 89r, tried it, and sold my hd.

10. paydepst

paydepst Member

Interesting review. I too have avoided Parkers because I've heard so much about the poor build quality but was unaware they made a three piece. Like some others I've never gotten a good shave with a Fat Boy either and I attribute that to the handle length and less to the head design. I had the same issues with the Slant.

Regarding this razor though, does the handle get slick when wet? I notice that there is precious little grip knurling on it.

11. I haven't noticed any problem with the grip. The 91R has more texture on the grip and received a similar review.

12. sparky5693

Administrator
    I too have no problems with grip.

13. nice looking razor and nice pics!

14. magic

magic New Member

Beautiful razor. I just ordered the Parker 79 which has the Black handle.

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Got my 89R I ordered from Rene today, will put it to use soon!

16. sparky5693

Administrator
    Keep us posted :happy088

17. I look forward to your comments as well !

18. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I posted my first impressions in the SoS. After that I went back and read the inititial review and found another thing I agree to, the alignment thingamajigs are slightly too short to provide for a distinctivly easy loading of the blade. It's not a big issue. My overall rating so far is in comparison with the initial review. I have just used it one, but it has got a "genuine feel" and will definitely use it!

The complimentary Sharp blades Rene included worked perfectly in the 89R.

19. sparky5693

Administrator
    Yup... sharp brand blades for me too. This razor for me, has been completely idiot poof. It's the gentlest, closest shaving razor i've ever seen.

20. Will

Will Nevermind

Idiot proof eh? I bet I could cut myself. :D