Parker Shavette Opinion

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Birdie, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I am looking at buying a shavette. What is you opinion about the Parker brand?

SterFry and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Gives a great shave, tough to use, no margin of error. I haven't "manned" up to using it in a couple months in fear of visible nicks.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I don't have any sort of a reference point, but I like my SR1. I've never used a straight or any other type of shavette. If your goal is to grow into a straight at some point, then you might consider getting a Weck instead. They are supposed to be the closest you can get to a straight. If you just like the idea of being able to use DE blades that you already have handy, then the Parkers are great.

SterFry and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Both those replies cover it. :happy088:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Thanks! That gives me more to look into now.

6. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

my first single bladed razor was a Parker shavette with a Shark blade, they're very nice.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

This isn't what you asked, but you might also want to look at the Feather Artist Club style razors. I haven't used the Parker any other shavettes, but the my Feather AC gives a pretty awesome shave, and is very similar to shaving with a straight. They are more pricey, and the blades cost more, however there is a Korean knock off that can be had for around 30 bucks, and the blades last 6-10 shaves.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

News from Parker Shaving.
    https://www.parkershaving.com/c/parker-razors/barber-razors/

Push Type Adjustable
    [​IMG]

SR Pro
    [​IMG]

The Push Type is easy and precise.
    Now there's a sort of "adjustable" option.
    One razor, three blade holder.
    Maybe a good idea.

SR is the professional line.
    Now has a better shape.
    Easier to handle. With more weight.

I'm very tempted with PTA Black.
    Full stinless steel, adjustable, almost 50 grams (1.7oz), slim, total black.
    The SR version has a better grip, and shape.
    And few grams more, which is not bad.

Difficult to choose.
    What is your choice and why?

11. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

That is difficult to choose... Do you happen to know if their non adjustables are equivalent to medium or light blade exposure settings in the newer models? If all the older models are "medium" then I'd probably go for the new one. If the older ones are "light" exposure (which seems likely as they described that option as being best for full face "hot towel" shaves), then probably an older model...whichever has the thinnest spine, which looks to be the regular "pro"

Thank you very much for the information.

ischiapp likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    While I don't have anything against the adjustable option, it feels very much to me like a solution looking for a problem.

Then again, Feather handled the same problem by designing different blade options, so maybe it's not as big a stretch as I'm making it out to be.

Regardless, Parker doesn't make precision shavettes, and I have a really hard time recommending them over a fully machined razor like the Focus, for $20 to $30 more. Or a Feather type clone in the same price range as the Parkers.

In my defense, I consider DE blades to be at the very bottom of my list of blades that I think work great in a shavette form factor. They are too thin and flexible to work well, unless the razor has been designed to overcome those limitations. The only 'Pros' is that DE blades are inexpensive and readily available, which to me, aren't convincing reasons to go with them when there are far better options available.

I view this as an attempt to turn a hair cutting razor into a shaving razor, rather than viewing it as an improvement to a shaving razor. Better to buy a razor that has been designed solely as a shaving razor in the first place.

SterFry and brit like this.
  13. SterFry

Artist Club blades being your favorite shavette format, I presume?

Wizmet hair shaper blades are fantastic, but hard to find in the US.

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My preference is for thicker long blades. I use Persona Hair shapers in the Weck, and AC blades in everything else. I've also used shavettes that took injector blades, and those work pretty well too.

Given the lack of availability in the U.S. for both razors and blades in the long DE blade format, I've avoided those, but only heard good things about them.

SterFry likes this.
  15. SterFry

I have a weck. I really want to try Kismet blades, but they're a pain in the ass to get in the US. May give Fromm a try, too, but I didn't love the Personnas. Maybe I'll give one another shot.

Thanks for the reply

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I will add this caveat, my Personna hair shaper blades are vintage. Probably 1970-1980ish. Pre-barcode and cellophane wrapping. My understanding is that most people prefer the newer ones, which are sharper.

Mine look like these, but older:
    Screenshot_20221127-171745.jpg
    Edit: I also treat them much like straight razor blades, and strop them before and after use.
    Edit 2: I haven't tried the Fromm blades either.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    SterFry and brit like this.
  17. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Medium.

SterFry likes this.