Pass-Around, Essence by Tedalus Edition

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 4, 2021.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

First I would like to thank Ryan for this Pass-around.

Now for my final thoughts. I ended up using it 3 times with the same Gillette blade. I never felt the need to try another style of blade. Why? I did not want the shave to be anything less than my first go.

This razor performed better than I had expected. I still cannot get an acceptable neck finish. Same with all straights and shavettes. My neck pattern is out of control.
    Did I mention the magnets? Well they are strong and there is ZERO chance of things moving. Magnets can open new doors in shaving as exemplified in this beautiful razor.

Shaving with razor all shaves were literally butter smooth on stretched skin. Never got even a single nick. I am really impressed with the performance. As stated before. If I had the extra cash to spend. I would not hesitate to get this razor.
    Hope all of your shaves are half as good as mine were.

Manumik, Hembree, snuff and 3 others like this.
  2. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I hope mine are half as good as yours too Tom. Great review and my neck is a swirl of a mess for a straight also.......

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I did straights exclusively for well over a year. Never really got an acceptable neck finish. All other places silky smooth.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    To interject with a bit more info here, for anyone concerned about the magnets losing magnetic force as time goes by, Neodium and other rare earth magnets don't lose magnetic attraction over time like "black" regular magnets. Provided they don't get broken, (they are slightly recessed to minimize that possibility), they should last 100 years or so.

Edit: they are susceptible to corrosion, which is why they are nickel plated, copper plated, and then nickel plated again. Virtually all of this type of magnet is plated in this way.

Manumik, Hembree, snuff and 3 others like this.
  5. Dave in KY

I wasn't worried but WOW that's cool the steps they took for them.

6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

Manumik likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just got the razors & am beginning with some research, as I have no experience with these. So far, I have loaded a blade into the Irving, which I found a bit difficult. I haven’t yet loaded the Essence. I would welcome some tips.

Manumik and Hembree like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Put the Irving back into the box. Ignore it.

Is this your first time using shavettes? Or straight razors in general?

There's not much advice I can give, except go slow. Make sure the blade is in motion before it touches skin, and make sure the skin is tight/stretched. The shaving angle is with the spine just off the skin. (Probably a 25-30° angle) You can shave with an almost full 90° angle, but this usually is uncomfortable and dulls the blade rapidly.

I know @Queen of Blades uses straight razors on occasion. Any tips?

Manumik, snuff, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Tips on shaving or loading the Essence?

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

On loading it.

11. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I thought there was a instruction paper included in the box?

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

There is. But it’s still helpful to see what other people have to say.

Manumik, Hembree and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Dave in KY

I say read the instructions :happy097:

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The instructions are not the clearest. In English at least. I'm sure the Dutch/German side is perfectly understandable.

There's a small seam on one side of the tang. Put your thumb on the blade side of the seam and push towards the tip of the razor. It should slide forward a bit. You can then pry the two halves apart or keep sliding it until the magnets lose their grip.

Edit. When you install a blade, make sure it is as close to the front/tip of the razor as possible.

And face the edge down. The back of the blade doesn't shave worth a damn.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Manumik, Sara-s, snuff and 3 others like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Here is the mfg link on blade loading.
    All 3 blade formats shown.

Also, if you would like to try a Feather ProGuard, PM me an address and I’ll tuck one in the mail. You may find them more forgiving.
    ……offer applies to all testers.

Bill

JACarbone, Manumik, snuff and 3 others like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Feather_Artist_Club_ProGuard_Blades_15_Pack_-_4_RGVMUKQF4CZ4.jpg
    For anyone curious as to 'why' it's called a ProGuard blade. It's hard to nick yourself. They work in the Essence.

Edit: The ProGuard Lights do not. The blade is shorter, so it does not give the Essence any room to play with angles, and the angle required is very steep. Any Feather 'light' blade or comparable 'light' blade from any other manufacturer won't work in this razor either. As far as I know, Feather is the only one who makes a light blade.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Of course I read them. It was after having done so that I asked for some advice.

Manumik, Hembree and Dave in KY like this.
  18. Dave in KY

Sorry for the poor attempt at humor. Thought the emoji would convey it's intent :happy088:

Manumik, Hembree and Sara-s like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Dave in KY no worries. We can’t always read intent on line the way we do in person.

Manumik, Hembree and Dave in KY like this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I decided to give it a little "road test". I really don't need to shave my legs for another couple of days, as there's just a little lady-stubble right now (much finer than guy stubble.).

So I took a folding chair and tried in on some small areas. (I normally shave in the shower, but if I sit in a chair by the sink, I can wear my reading glasses.). Gave it my usual prep- some pre-shave oil & a nice lather with my own recipe for shave soap. I didn't have any difficulty with the blade angle, though the way you hold it took some getting used to. Also, for legs, I need to be able to use it with either hand. A little bit of a challenge, but not insurmountable. Just did one WTG pass.

I got no nicks or cuts & the areas felt smooth. So far so good. More when I am ready to do a full shave.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021